What boardgames are you playing?

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
[red]
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Re: What boardgames are you playing?

Postby [red] » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:27 am

GinDragon wrote:
Glenn wrote:A friend of mine said he played a large boardgame in the 90s that was humans vs orcs and it had a cannon and an ogre. Eventually I found the game he was talking about. That game was Battlemasters. MB worked out a deal with Games Workshop for them to make a very simple looking version of warhammer fantasy battles.

Its a fun little dice fest. This would have been the best thing ever when I was 10 years old. A game could easily take less than an hour if you got familiar with everything. It also has 5 scenarios you can combine for a campaign. I'm sure we'll be playing it more often. The only problem is finding a comfortable place to set it up.

A buddy of mine has that up on a shelf somewhere. I was always curious about it because of the art, but have never played it.

I had this game when I was younger. It was rad - in hindsight, very imbalanced, but rad.

It worked on an initiative system where each player drew a card and that unit got to act - so no matter how good your battle plan was, if you didn't draw relevant units, you got hosed. We had so many games decided by crucial units doing absolutely nothing, and then getting wiped out.

Of course, I was young when playing, and we might have been doing it wrong, but still.
--- < :facepalm: > ---

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:34 pm

[red] wrote:
GinDragon wrote:
Glenn wrote:A friend of mine said he played a large boardgame in the 90s that was humans vs orcs and it had a cannon and an ogre. Eventually I found the game he was talking about. That game was Battlemasters. MB worked out a deal with Games Workshop for them to make a very simple looking version of warhammer fantasy battles.

Its a fun little dice fest. This would have been the best thing ever when I was 10 years old. A game could easily take less than an hour if you got familiar with everything. It also has 5 scenarios you can combine for a campaign. I'm sure we'll be playing it more often. The only problem is finding a comfortable place to set it up.

A buddy of mine has that up on a shelf somewhere. I was always curious about it because of the art, but have never played it.

I had this game when I was younger. It was rad - in hindsight, very imbalanced, but rad.

It worked on an initiative system where each player drew a card and that unit got to act - so no matter how good your battle plan was, if you didn't draw relevant units, you got hosed. We had so many games decided by crucial units doing absolutely nothing, and then getting wiped out.

Of course, I was young when playing, and we might have been doing it wrong, but still.

Haha, I've definitely confronted games I have bad childhood memories of as an adult, only to realize we were breaking like half of the rules :lol:
Have you found the yellow sign?

ephealy
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby ephealy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:53 am

We've been playing Axis & Allies Classic, and posting videos of each turn: LINK TO YOUTUBE
My name is Ed Healy, and I am the Gamerati

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:32 am

Not playing it but I really want to play the new Haunting of Hill House Legacy is (or whatever its actual name is).
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:26 am

me too. Although if I get it. It's probably end up like the other legacy games I own. I get a group to play 4 or 5 games and then i can never get them together to play again.
Check out my wife's book

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:36 am

Betrayal Legacy.

Original game is Betrayal at the House on the Hill.

I would have picked it up myself, but I couldn't get any takers to commit to playing it consistently so I decided to hold off for now.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:43 pm

Three games at the church board game meet today.
One, I'll have to look up the name, but it's for the three-and-up crowd anyway -- a three-year-old brought it. It's a group of frogs of various colour combinations, and their baby frogs (the player tokens), about ten lilypads forming a track around the central group of frogs. The parent frogs' eyes come out, and on the base one eye has a mark and the other is plain. You roll two six-sided dice that have the colours of the parent frogs on them, and on your turn you roll the dice, find a frog with that colour combo, and pick one eye to lift. If it shows the right mark you move forward one. All you have to do to win is remember which eye on each of the frogs is the move-ahead one.
Then we played Newfoundland Jam, in which you try to collect the right ingredient cards to make up one of the four (or five) recipe cards, which give victory points -- more points for bigger or better recipes. A quick, light card game.
And we played Timeline, the one where you place one event or invention card at a time in an increasingly long string of events, from the emergence of bees to landed exploration of Mars. A good stimulating intellectual exercise.
Froggy Boogie is the frogs game.
Last edited by Leoff on Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:04 am

A close friend has gotten into KeyForge by Richard Garfield. We played a game of it last night. I've never played Magic the Gathering but i have played a lot of Warhammer Invasion. Which is just another spin on the magic system.

I enjoyed it, but I get tired of constantly having to read my opponents cards to look out for all the rules. I know this goes away eventually, I just don't have the patience for it anymore and I don't plan on playing the game with any regularity.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:56 am

I played Micropia yesterday. It's by Matagot Games, the same people who make Meeple Circus. In Micropolis, you are building ant tunnels (galleries) by placing tiles around a central starting ant hill. The hill tile, from which you start, has ten sides to place the wedge-shaped tiles on, and you start with five worker ants. Some tiles give you more worker ants, some have fruits on them, some let you move ants. You take one tile per turn, so it's a ten round game. There are several ways of gaining points -- length of tunnel with a queen ant, number of worker ants, how many types of fruit in a gallery.
We didn't play the battle mode, just the base game, partly because a three-year-old was playing, without a great deal of help. (until round six or seven when she tired of sitting still and wandered off.)
It's a 2-6 player game. I think that with only two players battle mode could be pleasantly intense.
Engaging, quick to pick up, attractive to look at, though I did find it hard to make out some details at a distance. But the tiles are distinct enough that once you do know which type of card each is they're easy enough to identify.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon May 20, 2019 10:02 am

attended Geekway to the West over the weekend. This is becoming one of the larger board game conventions in the US, over 3,000 attendees, and it was a 15min drive for us ;)

Played 17 new games:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2567 ... ekway-2019

11 games we acquired through various trades:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2567 ... ekway-2019
-Casey

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”