What boardgames are you playing?

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: What boardgames are you playing?

Postby GinDragon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:03 am

PsionicRanger wrote:This past weekend brought lots of fun along with the end of the Thanksgiving Holiday for this school teacher. Over the break, we got to play Lanterns, Reef, Raiders of the North Sea, and Brass Lancashire. Of all the ones I played, Brass was the new one for me. I must say that there were lots of interesting choices, but there also seems to be a few fiddly rules that were conditional. All in all, I'd give Brass a 7.5 out of 10. I had to really get in there and work with the rule books and some tutorials to make sure that I understood the game well. I typically learn best when someone else teaches me the game, but my wife was patient and we both put our heads to figuring it out. I would highly recommend it. The game takes place over two eras and is about network building and engine building.

I've never played my own copies of Brass, but I've played the game I think 3 times now?

Come over and I'll explain it to you, I think I could do a pretty good job of teaching. Beer is life.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:27 pm

GinDragon wrote:
PsionicRanger wrote:This past weekend brought lots of fun along with the end of the Thanksgiving Holiday for this school teacher. Over the break, we got to play Lanterns, Reef, Raiders of the North Sea, and Brass Lancashire. Of all the ones I played, Brass was the new one for me. I must say that there were lots of interesting choices, but there also seems to be a few fiddly rules that were conditional. All in all, I'd give Brass a 7.5 out of 10. I had to really get in there and work with the rule books and some tutorials to make sure that I understood the game well. I typically learn best when someone else teaches me the game, but my wife was patient and we both put our heads to figuring it out. I would highly recommend it. The game takes place over two eras and is about network building and engine building.

I've never played my own copies of Brass, but I've played the game I think 3 times now?

Come over and I'll explain it to you, I think I could do a pretty good job of teaching. Beer is life.

So, the original version of Brass has a lot of issues and tons of "except, unless, in this case" rules which are the nadir of game design, but there's a solid management game core underneath. Try Brass Birmingham. It's a new, revamped edition of the game that irons out a lot of those flaws and is one of my favorite German games of all time.
Have you found the yellow sign?

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:40 pm

tombombodil wrote:
GinDragon wrote:

So, the original version of Brass has a lot of issues and tons of "except, unless, in this case" rules which are the nadir of game design, but there's a solid management game core underneath. Try Brass Birmingham. It's a new, revamped edition of the game that irons out a lot of those flaws and is one of my favorite German games of all time.

I assume you're talking about the Roxley version? Yeah, pretty sweet.

I have the privilege of being able to say I played new Brass before it was released.

PsionicRanger
I am the story stick

Postby PsionicRanger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:35 pm

tombombodil wrote:
GinDragon wrote:

I have Birmingham too. I just wanted learn Lancanshire first. I look forward to learning Birmingham next. It looks amazing.

@Gary, I look forward to visiting as soon as possible.
A Mindflayer is a terrible thing to waste.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:48 pm

Just recently had a game night with family. We played:

The Duke with the Robert E. Howard expansion
Century: Golem Edition
Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride

Too Tall
I am the story stick

Postby Too Tall » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:14 am

Been playing the heck out of Warhammer Kill Team lately.

ephealy
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby ephealy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:22 pm

Been playing the PnP of Charmed & Dangerous and hoping to give the publisher some meaningful feedback.
My name is Ed Healy, and I am the Gamerati

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:56 am

A friend of mine said he played a large boardgame in the 90s that was humans vs orcs and it had a cannon and an ogre. Eventually I found the game he was talking about. That game was Battlemasters. MB worked out a deal with Games Workshop for them to make a very simple looking version of warhammer fantasy battles.

Its a fun little dice fest. This would have been the best thing ever when I was 10 years old. A game could easily take less than an hour if you got familiar with everything. It also has 5 scenarios you can combine for a campaign. I'm sure we'll be playing it more often. The only problem is finding a comfortable place to set it up.

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:26 am

Glenn wrote:A friend of mine said he played a large boardgame in the 90s that was humans vs orcs and it had a cannon and an ogre. Eventually I found the game he was talking about. That game was Battlemasters. MB worked out a deal with Games Workshop for them to make a very simple looking version of warhammer fantasy battles.

Its a fun little dice fest. This would have been the best thing ever when I was 10 years old. A game could easily take less than an hour if you got familiar with everything. It also has 5 scenarios you can combine for a campaign. I'm sure we'll be playing it more often. The only problem is finding a comfortable place to set it up.

A buddy of mine has that up on a shelf somewhere. I was always curious about it because of the art, but have never played it.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:43 am

We played a D&D Clue last night, and then 4 rounds of Chemistry Fluxx.
I do enjoy Clue. The D&D edition needs a bit of help but it's the help we love to give; the little figures are hard to distinguish at a glance. But they're paintable minis, so even the preliminary job I've done, painting the bases and part of their clothing, the right colour, is a help.The character names also don't give a clue as to their colour, so we marked that on the clue sheets (one of us even marked it in colour). The meeting-a-monster-in-the-hallways thing is fun, but it doesn't come up often enough. But it's still fun.

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”