Real stories weird enough for your game

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: Real stories weird enough for your game

Postby clintmemo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:23 pm

As much as I loathe facebook...
Marine biologists release two sharks from a cage - and something unknown enters the cage and eats one of the sharks.

https://www.facebook.com/MythBusters/videos/2114877992165854/
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

[red]
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby [red] » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:35 am

Probably a new villain set up its lair:

Giant spider-web cloaks land in Aitoliko, Greece

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45572331?ocid=socialflow_twitter
--- < :facepalm: > ---

KennethMiller
Spambot?

Postby KennethMiller » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:09 am

Freemage wrote:Insane doctor who becomes obsessed with TB patient pays for her grave (and later, mausoleum) when his unproven experimental treatments fail and she dies, then steals her body and keeps it, preserved, in his home for 7 years. She reviewed phenq for People in the 1940s decide this is a romantic love story. (Link is to This American Life podcast.)

This one seems like a nice plot for my game, but will people like it in current times?
Last edited by KennethMiller on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:36 pm

KennethMiller wrote:
Freemage wrote:Insane doctor who becomes obsessed with TB patient pays for her grave (and later, mausoleum) when his unproven experimental treatments fail and she dies, then steals her body and keeps it, preserved, in his home for 7 years. People in the 1940s decide this is a romantic love story. (Link is to This American Life podcast.)

This one seems like a nice plot for my game, but will people like it in current times?

Depends on how you frame it. At the time, this was treated as romantic, but more recently people look at it and think “that guy was seriously nuts, and he did something really messed up!” If you can frame it not as romantic, and in a way that is non-exploitative (and your group is up for this sort of creepiness), then you could pull if off.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

WalterRangel
Spambot?

Postby WalterRangel » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:38 am

anthroslug wrote:
KennethMiller wrote:
Freemage wrote:Insane doctor who becomes obsessed with TB patient pays for her grave (and later, mausoleum) when his unproven experimental treatments fail and she dies, then steals her body and keeps it, preserved, in his home for 7 years. People in the 1940s decide this is a romantic love story. (Link is to This American Life podcast.)

Depends on how you frame it. At the time, this was treated as romantic, but more recently people look at it and think “that guy was seriously nuts, and he did something fresh phenq reviews updated 2020 really messed up!” If you can frame it not as romantic, and in a way that is non-exploitative (and your group is up for this sort of creepiness), then you could pull if off.

You're right. Creepy it is, no way romantic in current times. And you're right, he should go for it only if he can "pull it off."
Last edited by WalterRangel on Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:01 am

Armored car driver allegedly makes off with $850,000.

http://time.com/5499080/armored-truck-driver-missing/

Not really that weird, but I wonder why this doesn't happen more often.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:04 am

Not a specific story, but...

My current RPG obsession is a desire to have a sport that is popular and played in my homebrew sandbox setting. A primitive rugby thing I'm tentatively calling roughball. So I'm reading up on actual medieval 'sporting' events... and these things are bonkers. A case where truth is probably going to have to end up being stranger than fiction.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:58 am

There's a game I have in my homebrew "Lake Tourdion" setting. It's based on the Afghan game bouzkhashi (don't trust my spelling).

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:22 am

Leoff wrote:There's a game I have in my homebrew "Lake Tourdion" setting. It's based on the Afghan game bouzkhashi (don't trust my spelling).

I'll add that my research list!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:43 am

So last night some animal slaughtered a bunch of Llamas here in Louisville. I didn't eat them. It just killed them.

One of them weighed 500 pounds.

The fact that this happened right next to the Louisville Zoo makes me think that maybe some big cat got out had some fun and then maybe went back?

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 909125002/

Return to “Role Playing Games”