Understanding Savage Worlds Super Powers Power Points

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
Nny
Holder of The Stabbing Screwdriver

Understanding Savage Worlds Super Powers Power Points

Postby Nny » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:36 am

I seem to be struggling to grasp this more than i should be.
I'm going over the Necessary Evil and Super Powers Companion and my question is not one that any one else on the net seems to have.

So: In character creation, we get the Super Powers edge for free. 10 power points with which to buy powers. Are these the same points needed to "activate" certain powers? I get that some powers don't require points to use, but lets say a player has 10 points, he spends all 10 on character creation. Does he have 10 points to draw from on using these powers (that have a cost)? Or lets say he only spends 8, Does he still have 10 power points to draw from? Or does he only have 8?
If every fight, the heroes want to maximize damage so they use all power points available, would some heroes just have to wait 2 hours to be fully charged again? I realize that my questions are from me just not understanding a pretty simple concept!

On looking at other things online, i've found that many agree that the wording of the various rulebooks is a bit confusing, especially since it seems each sourcebook changes the meaning of the arcane background.
i'm going to keep reading and maybe the answer will click for me, but any input, correction, or guidance would be appreciated!

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Re: Understanding Savage Worlds Super Powers Power Points

Postby Azhrei Vep » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:07 am

Nny wrote:I seem to be struggling to grasp this more than i should be.
I'm going over the Necessary Evil and Super Powers Companion and my question is not one that any one else on the net seems to have.

So: In character creation, we get the Super Powers edge for free. 10 power points with which to buy powers. Are these the same points needed to "activate" certain powers? I get that some powers don't require points to use, but lets say a player has 10 points, he spends all 10 on character creation. Does he have 10 points to draw from on using these powers (that have a cost)? Or lets say he only spends 8, Does he still have 10 power points to draw from? Or does he only have 8?
If every fight, the heroes want to maximize damage so they use all power points available, would some heroes just have to wait 2 hours to be fully charged again? I realize that my questions are from me just not understanding a pretty simple concept!

On looking at other things online, i've found that many agree that the wording of the various rulebooks is a bit confusing, especially since it seems each sourcebook changes the meaning of the arcane background.
i'm going to keep reading and maybe the answer will click for me, but any input, correction, or guidance would be appreciated!

I ... don't think any of the super powers actually cost points to activate. They either have passive effects or rolls. Those points are for spending on super powers. If you have some left over, you're just letting them go to waste, unless you're saving them up until you buy another round of points for something really big.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Nny
Holder of The Stabbing Screwdriver

Postby Nny » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:51 am

oh my god. Thank you. See, i knew i was confusing things in the Arcane Powers stuff.
Sometimes i wonder if i'm actually mentally handicapped and all my friends are just too nice to tell me

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:23 pm

Nny wrote:oh my god. Thank you. See, i knew i was confusing things in the Arcane Powers stuff.
Sometimes i wonder if i'm actually mentally handicapped and all my friends are just too nice to tell me

Yeah I remember that confusion. The base Savage Worlds book required points for activation but Superhero compendium and Necessary Evil don't because they are about superheroes\villains.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:58 am

Probably helps that I started Savage Worlds with Necessary Evil. That was just my normal.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Return to “Role Playing Games”