So, how would you play a character with low wisdom?

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
Wayne
Host

Re: So, how would you play a character with low wisdom?

Postby Wayne » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:46 pm

Mikel wrote:I've seen some danger in people playing "too dumb". This is something I've encountered a few times in RPGs and all the time when teaching people improv.

When someone plays their character so cartoonishly stupid that there's no way anyone would work with them or they wouldn't be any good at what they do---it's a problem unless that's the tone. These characters very quickly stop being characters and instead become annoying. There's an old saying in acting--"The person who plays a fool can't be one."

I think a character who is incurious or who won't take the time to consider multiple options can work well.

That is so true. When I have played low wisdom characters I always make sure they know their limitations. They may make poor choices but they also know that those in the group with higher wisdom are people they need to take advice from. I am always worried about going too far though.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:48 pm

One thing I’ve noticed as a teacher is that students who don’t think they’re good at something or who have a hard time understanding something either avoid it, give up, or go back to the things they know how to do.

I think maybe not playing “stupid” but instead someone who does one of those things when they reach something they don’t know how to deal with is better.

People try to play cartoons and it s annoying as hell because they don’t tend to know how to make that work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:39 am

Another angle is they are bad with money and resources. They blow their cash on flashy but not useful items, luxuries of comfort, maybe donating to anyone that asks. They also use resources (like potions, scrolls, rations, spell slots) at suboptimal times or reasons.
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

Return to “Role Playing Games”