So, how would you play a character with low wisdom?

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Re: So, how would you play a character with low wisdom?

Postby Leoff » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:45 am

That's a nice, and likely, combination of low-wisdom characters, the sort who would end up getting along in a group. And they're both plot movers in their own ways. Do keep telling us of their adventures!

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:59 am

Leoff wrote:That's a nice, and likely, combination of low-wisdom characters, the sort who would end up getting along in a group. And they're both plot movers in their own ways. Do keep telling us of their adventures!

You can read them for yourself, right here in the PBP forum. :thumbup:

https://www.feartheboot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29660

As we've only just started, and only have two players so far, I'm sure Fallout would be happy to accept another player, if you are interested. From all your tales I think you would be great for this game.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Nobby-W
Aarakocra

Postby Nobby-W » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:01 pm

Well, you know, just act myself.
My imaginary component makes me complex. This also means I'm allowed to eat quiche.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:26 pm

Leoff wrote:That's a nice, and likely, combination of low-wisdom characters, the sort who would end up getting along in a group. And they're both plot movers in their own ways. Do keep telling us of their adventures!

I just noticed this thread again, because of the new post (and new poster - Hi Nobby, welcome to the forum :wave: )

They both died. :lol:

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:26 am

To continue the thread necro -

I have an NPC that has a high intelligence and low wisdom and I am playing him as having poor impulse control. He jumps in first only to discover his mistake.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:30 pm

I've seen some danger in people playing "too dumb". This is something I've encountered a few times in RPGs and all the time when teaching people improv.

When someone plays their character so cartoonishly stupid that there's no way anyone would work with them or they wouldn't be any good at what they do---it's a problem unless that's the tone. These characters very quickly stop being characters and instead become annoying. There's an old saying in acting--"The person who plays a fool can't be one."

I think a character who is incurious or who won't take the time to consider multiple options can work well.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:51 pm

Mikel raises an interesting point. If you have a character with a dump stat, how do you draw a balance between playing true to the character's obvious deficiency, and risking being a nuisance to the others in the game, and being less disruptive but thereby effectively ignoring the dump stat's handicap?

On the surface it sounds like a no win situation. But people clearly do make it work. So what's the key to it? :think:

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:23 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Mikel raises an interesting point. If you have a character with a dump stat, how do you draw a balance between playing true to the character's obvious deficiency, and risking being a nuisance to the others in the game, and being less disruptive but thereby effectively ignoring the dump stat's handicap?

On the surface it sounds like a no win situation. But people clearly do make it work. So what's the key to it? :think:

Play it by ear and read the room. Only method I've come up with.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:17 pm

Talk it over ahead of time. I've got a player in my current campaign who's playing the CHA dump stat character. During the first session, they brought it up with the group, explained the ways they wanted to be bad at CHA. That gave the rest of the players time to think about how they (as PCs) would compensate and deal.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:41 pm

I enjoy high intelligence but low wisdom characters. I typically play them as very book smart and able to just throw information out. When it comes to common sense though or figuring out how people will react my character is clueless. They could tell you that an item is a forgery for example, but can't figure out why anyone would forge it. Knows that a sonic attack could hurt something with good hearing, but doesn't think that it also gives away your position.

My last character was rich and I played the low wisdom partly as him not understanding what life is like without money. Not understanding why everyone doesn't have servants.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Return to “Role Playing Games”