Is the red box still a thing?

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Is the red box still a thing?

Postby BottledViolence » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:46 pm

Talking about getting new players into D&D as well as revisiting it for folks who played back in the day and want some nostalgic gaming. Did they ever reprint them? Are we stuck with ebay looking for old used stuff? Any other suggestions?

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: Is the red box still a thing?

Postby clintmemo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Are you looking for old school in particular or just something complete and condensed?

If you are ok with something now, there is a 5e Starter Set.

If you really want old school, then Drivethru has some of them in PDF format.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/110274/DD-Basic-Set-Rulebook-B-X-ed-Basic?filters=0_0_45323_44499_0
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz

Postby Knaight » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:25 pm

WotC never reprinted it, though they did release a bunch of .pdfs a while back for early editions. More than that the release of the OGL with 3e made basically all the terminology publicly available, game mechanics generally can't get copyrights*, and that combination means that there are literally hundreds of games which are literally just early D&D released under a different name. That's basically what the OSR was for a few years, before people started branching out from that canon again.

Which ones map to which D&D editions isn't something I've kept too much track of, but I think OSIRIC is one of the more standard entry points.

*Some can, but "we totally came up with this system where you roll a die, then add a number" is going to go roughly nowhere.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:34 pm

Definitely going for old school, I have most of the old 1st ed. books, but wanted to try to get the red and blue boxes to start. PDF's will do, but I may try to score some of the old books off Ebay. I figure one hard copy and PDF's is already more than we had as kids sharing one set! :lol:

Looking to do a retro gaming thing and play the old editions that we grew up with.

Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz

Postby Knaight » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:41 pm

BottledViolence wrote:Definitely going for old school, I have most of the old 1st ed. books, but wanted to try to get the red and blue boxes to start. PDF's will do, but I may try to score some of the old books off Ebay. I figure one hard copy and PDF's is already more than we had as kids sharing one set! :lol:

Looking to do a retro gaming thing and play the old editions that we grew up with.

I figure it's probably cheaper to get the .pdf and hit up Kinko's or whatever than to try and get an original copy. That said, navigating the retroclone/OSR space can be tricky, as this list* nicely indicates. That list does suggest that I was off about OSIRIC, which is AD&D, and that The Grey Book might be the closest reproduction, if the WotC PDFs don't work for some reason.

*http://taxidermicowlbear.weebly.com/dd-retroclones.html
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:32 am

I bought mine from used book stores and received them from friends. But I did buy PDFs as well, and find them very useful (especially the Rules Cyclopedia).

Once you get players used to the often oddball mechanics (on this you roll high, on that you role low, thief’s have their own mini-game, no clerics don’t get spells until the 2nd level), the game is very easy to run and learn. My six-year-old loves old Red Box D&D, as does my wife.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby JediSoth » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:53 am

DriveThru RPG also has a lot of those old books on POD these days. You can get the Rules Cyclopedia that way for far less than buying a vintage copy. The last time I checked, neither B/X nor BECMI are available POD, though. Noble Knight often has the red box, as well.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

shadesofeternity
'something' per Dan's request

Postby shadesofeternity » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:22 am

I'm going to throw this out there.

how viable is the scaffolding method for creating new gamers?

1. it started with a quickie choose your own adventure where the following lovely lady died.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iI14MC ... sp=sharing

2. then you ran a single character through a dungeon.

3. then you got your buddies to build characters and ran the choose your own adventure.

4. it then turned into a standard dungeon .

5. then you were given a map and said, finish it.

6. then given a blank map and told to go nuts .

does this work and how would you update the model in a more modern era?

edit: also anybody whom has their own bargle stories, let's here them. How did you defeat this meanie wizard?

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:22 am

shadesofeternity wrote:I'm going to throw this out there.

edit: also anybody whom has their own bargle stories, let's here them. How did you defeat this meanie wizard?

According to the "Gygaxian model" this is how you run and teach and learn how to RPG. It is still viable but it can be so much more than that.

Anyway, some years ago I ran the "Kill Bargle!" 3.5 update that was in Dungeon magazine. It was, more or less, the exact same adventure but updated to then current D&D rules.
MODERATE GAMING STORY AHEAD:
We had a Ranger in the last encounter, Bargle throws up a Wall of Fire to keep the PCs at bay. The Ranger Crits on his acrobatics roll so he gets to parkour Spidey style up and over the flames. Then on his next go he Crits AGAIN on his attack and MAXES out on damage. This was round two of initiative. Combat over. End of that session.
Later I introduced Bartleby, Bargle's brother. It sounds hack but now the whole thing got personal, "You killed my brother" and all that.
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

Return to “Role Playing Games”