Pathfinder 2E Playtest

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
User avatar
John
Host
Posts: 4797
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:20 am

Re: Pathfinder 2E Playtest

Postby John » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:43 pm

ScoobyThulu wrote:Gaming time as an adult is sometimes too hard to come by so we don't have time for Not Fun.


This is the truth of all truths. There was a time when we had four hours a week to spare on a terrible game because it was easier than leaving or telling an offensive player to leave. But that time ended with the arrival of the 40+ hour work week. We're all going to die with millions of hours of the greatest books unread, movies unviewed, and sights unseen. Most of us who GM have the germ of a dozen good campaign ideas bouncing around at any given time and get to pick zero to one of them to run. Time is way too short to do anything for fun that you don't want to.

User avatar
Glorious_Leader
BABUSHKA!
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:57 pm
Location: Pensacola, FL, USA

Re: Pathfinder 2E Playtest

Postby Glorious_Leader » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:11 am

John wrote:
ScoobyThulu wrote:Gaming time as an adult is sometimes too hard to come by so we don't have time for Not Fun.


This is the truth of all truths. There was a time when we had four hours a week to spare on a terrible game because it was easier than leaving or telling an offensive player to leave. But that time ended with the arrival of the 40+ hour work week. We're all going to die with millions of hours of the greatest books unread, movies unviewed, and sights unseen. Most of us who GM have the germ of a dozen good campaign ideas bouncing around at any given time and get to pick zero to one of them to run. Time is way too short to do anything for fun that you don't want to.

Preach brother, preach!

I just left a long time group with a bunch of seasoned players to GM for a bunch of kids that are new to the hobby.
Last night they brought me booze and showed up to the game dressed as their characters. It mae me veryhappy with my decision. It's difficult to walk away from a group where you've had good times in the past, but sometimes it's best to remember htat you have finite gaming time and move on.
А ну, чики-брики и в дамки

User avatar
ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:58 pm
Location: Indianapolis
Contact:

Re: Pathfinder 2E Playtest

Postby ScoobyThulu » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:10 am

Glorious_Leader wrote:
John wrote:
ScoobyThulu wrote:Gaming time as an adult is sometimes too hard to come by so we don't have time for Not Fun.


This is the truth of all truths. There was a time when we had four hours a week to spare on a terrible game because it was easier than leaving or telling an offensive player to leave. But that time ended with the arrival of the 40+ hour work week. We're all going to die with millions of hours of the greatest books unread, movies unviewed, and sights unseen. Most of us who GM have the germ of a dozen good campaign ideas bouncing around at any given time and get to pick zero to one of them to run. Time is way too short to do anything for fun that you don't want to.

Preach brother, preach!

I just left a long time group with a bunch of seasoned players to GM for a bunch of kids that are new to the hobby.
Last night they brought me booze and showed up to the game dressed as their characters.

It sounds like that if you can "win" at RPG then this is the way to go.
I am also geussing that when you say "kids" you mean younger people but of legal age?
Not that it matters to me, my Dad was The Guy in town that would get beer for underage kids, but not all of them. I saw him turn down kids and tell them, "If you got caught you wouldn't keep your mouth shut."
Ah, life in a small Indiana town. :beer:
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

User avatar
Glorious_Leader
BABUSHKA!
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:57 pm
Location: Pensacola, FL, USA

Re: Pathfinder 2E Playtest

Postby Glorious_Leader » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:55 pm

ScoobyThulu wrote:
Glorious_Leader wrote:
John wrote:
ScoobyThulu wrote:Gaming time as an adult is sometimes too hard to come by so we don't have time for Not Fun.


This is the truth of all truths. There was a time when we had four hours a week to spare on a terrible game because it was easier than leaving or telling an offensive player to leave. But that time ended with the arrival of the 40+ hour work week. We're all going to die with millions of hours of the greatest books unread, movies unviewed, and sights unseen. Most of us who GM have the germ of a dozen good campaign ideas bouncing around at any given time and get to pick zero to one of them to run. Time is way too short to do anything for fun that you don't want to.

Preach brother, preach!

I just left a long time group with a bunch of seasoned players to GM for a bunch of kids that are new to the hobby.
Last night they brought me booze and showed up to the game dressed as their characters.

It sounds like that if you can "win" at RPG then this is the way to go.
I am also geussing that when you say "kids" you mean younger people but of legal age?
Not that it matters to me, my Dad was The Guy in town that would get beer for underage kids, but not all of them. I saw him turn down kids and tell them, "If you got caught you wouldn't keep your mouth shut."
Ah, life in a small Indiana town. :beer:

I'm 27. I'm guessing they're somewhere around 21, as they brought booze to me.
I say "kids" because they're younger than me and also know very little about the hobby.

To "win" you have to know what you want and go out to find it. I found myself dreading game night because my tendencies as a gamer have drifted away from what fits in the old group. I suspect they'll only be playing Dungeons and Dragons now that I've left. But the new kids, on the other hand, want to try everything new. Hyperborea, Blades in the Dark, Mythras; if it's not DnD then they're stoked. It's a much better fit for me as a person that needs a lot of variance to keep having fun.
А ну, чики-брики и в дамки

User avatar
ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:58 pm
Location: Indianapolis
Contact:

Re: Pathfinder 2E Playtest

Postby ScoobyThulu » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Glorious_Leader wrote: But the new kids, on the other hand, want to try everything new. Hyperborea, Blades in the Dark, Mythras; if it's not DnD then they're stoked. It's a much better fit for me as a person that needs a lot of variance to keep having fun.

My new group of work/nerd friends is up for D&D 5e right now. It is thus far a great starter but after we do this arc of gaming that I have in mind then I want to try something different.
I love, love D&D. I can play it all the time BUT it's not the only thing out there. Library peoples are into all kinds of stuff so I think I can spring almost anything on them.
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

User avatar
[red]
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:48 am
Location: Denver, CO USA

Re: Pathfinder 2E Playtest

Postby [red] » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:17 pm

ScoobyThulu wrote:
Glorious_Leader wrote: But the new kids, on the other hand, want to try everything new. Hyperborea, Blades in the Dark, Mythras; if it's not DnD then they're stoked. It's a much better fit for me as a person that needs a lot of variance to keep having fun.

My new group of work/nerd friends is up for D&D 5e right now. It is thus far a great starter but after we do this arc of gaming that I have in mind then I want to try something different.
I love, love D&D. I can play it all the time BUT it's not the only thing out there. Library peoples are into all kinds of stuff so I think I can spring almost anything on them.


I long to be able to do something sci-fi. My group is fairly new and wants to try D&D first. 5e it is.
--- < :facepalm: > ---

User avatar
ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:58 pm
Location: Indianapolis
Contact:

Re: Pathfinder 2E Playtest

Postby ScoobyThulu » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:29 pm

[red] wrote:
ScoobyThulu wrote:
Glorious_Leader wrote: But the new kids, on the other hand, want to try everything new. Hyperborea, Blades in the Dark, Mythras; if it's not DnD then they're stoked. It's a much better fit for me as a person that needs a lot of variance to keep having fun.

My new group of work/nerd friends is up for D&D 5e right now. It is thus far a great starter but after we do this arc of gaming that I have in mind then I want to try something different.
I love, love D&D. I can play it all the time BUT it's not the only thing out there. Library peoples are into all kinds of stuff so I think I can spring almost anything on them.


I long to be able to do something sci-fi. My group is fairly new and wants to try D&D first. 5e it is.


I think the trick with sci-fi, or the trick to get players to play sci-fi, is to start with something known. Star Wars or Trek being the first to try. Hopefully you don't have too many settings lawyers. then you cantry non BIG IP stuff, the less well known like BattleTech or Traveller.
I want to home brew my own but my group is not there yet.
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

User avatar
whdr02
Teller of gaming stories
Posts: 705
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:42 am
Location: Columbus Ohio
Contact:

Re: Pathfinder 2E Playtest

Postby whdr02 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:15 pm

So, I'm trying to decide between 5e and PF2 for our family game. Me my wife and 10 and 12 YO daughters. From what I'm hearing there is a lot more crunch in PF2 than 5e and I think I would like to keep it to something more simple. Those of you who have played both is this a fair assessments?
Reading-Radio Parent/child book club podcast.
Raising two geek girls.

User avatar
Darth Xentus
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl
Posts: 290
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:38 pm

Re: Pathfinder 2E Playtest

Postby Darth Xentus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Pretty much. 5e is much easier to play and run by comparison.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
There’s no valor in death. Valor is what you make of life.

User avatar
ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:58 pm
Location: Indianapolis
Contact:

Re: Pathfinder 2E Playtest

Postby ScoobyThulu » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:35 pm

Darth Xentus wrote:Pretty much. 5e is much easier to play and run by comparison.



Outside of a few other games that are founded on crunch I have found PF 2E to be existential gaming peanut brittle.

Unless the kids be maths savants PF 2E will scare them away from gaming.
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/


Return to “Role Playing Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests