Pathfinder 2E Playtest

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
Necronomitron
TOFtBCH

Pathfinder 2E Playtest

Postby Necronomitron » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:41 pm

So I picked this up last week and haven't had any time to digest it, really. But what I've read so far I've found interesting. Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad. I don't know. But interesting.

Anybody else pick this up/read through it? What do you think?
Because it is (a bad thing).

[red]
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Re: Pathfinder 2E Playtest

Postby [red] » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:20 am

Didn't even know about it - downloading now to thumb through.

If I had a dollar for every system I have picked up but not yet used, it would offset the cost of picking up those systems.
--- < :facepalm: > ---

[red]

Postby [red] » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:38 pm

Thumbing through: I like how they did action economy. Otherwise, my typical Pathfinder gripe: "Wow....They made this really, really complex."

I like Ancestry rather than Race as a title.

Its weird that you get four different kinds of feats: ancestry feats, class feats, skill feats, and general feats. That....is a lot of feats. I like how customizable it is, but still. Lots of feats.

The non-bound accuracy is now throwing me as well - I really like the slower 5e progression. That being said, the different in skill levels as a single point, and non-proficiency is just 2 less points is a bit tighter of a spread that I would like for a non-bound system. Sucking at something at level 10 is better than being LEGENDARY at level 4. Non-proficiency should be much, much lower while legendary should be higher (imo).

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Necronomitron wrote:So I picked this up last week and haven't had any time to digest it, really. But what I've read so far I've found interesting. Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad. I don't know. But interesting.

So maybe I'm missing something, but I saw the playtest in stores for I think $30. I refuse to pay for a playtest.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

[red]

Postby [red] » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Wayne wrote:
Necronomitron wrote:So I picked this up last week and haven't had any time to digest it, really. But what I've read so far I've found interesting. Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad. I don't know. But interesting.

So maybe I'm missing something, but I saw the playtest in stores for I think $30. I refuse to pay for a playtest.

There is a free download on their website. Its a lot of material.

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:24 pm

[red] wrote:
Wayne wrote:

There is a free download on their website. Its a lot of material.

I think buying the playtest is a way to bump us sales at Gen Con since Starfinder was last year. It's a way to jump on the hype train I think. Also completest collectors are a key demographic for this.
The overall consensus that I have picked up on SF is a resounding, "Meh." Has anyone else heard or expereinced different?
I am with you though, why pay $30 for a playtest? I have been in few (D&D Next, Modiphius' Trek RPG) and never have I ever PAID to playtest or BETA test anything.
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

Darth Xentus
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Darth Xentus » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:02 pm

Wayne wrote:

Yeah, the physical costs money. Or you can go to the website and download it for free. I thought about grabbing a physical myself, but I can't justify paying for a physical beta. PDF beta, sure. Cause live updates.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
There’s no valor in death. Valor is what you make of life.

JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby JediSoth » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:52 am

ScoobyThulu wrote:...
The overall consensus that I have picked up on SF is a resounding, "Meh." Has anyone else heard or expereinced different?

I played Starfinder once. I liked the setting well enough, but it was still very Pathfindery. I would play the hell out of that setting for D&D 5E, but I'm no longer interested in Pathfinder-levels of complexity.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:47 pm

JediSoth wrote:
ScoobyThulu wrote:...

I played Starfinder once. I liked the setting well enough, but it was still very Pathfindery. I would play the hell out of that setting for D&D 5E, but I'm no longer interested in Pathfinder-levels of complexity.

All I've really heard about it is what's said above and that the spaceship rules are broken, such that it gets significantly harder to operate a spaceship at higher levels, to the point that a level 1 character with no particular skill in it has a better chance of success in any given skill check than a level 20 character focused on just that one thing.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:44 pm

JediSoth wrote: I'm no longer interested in Pathfinder-levels of complexity.

You and me both. I like Pathfinder for what it is, the next logical progression for 3E D&D. I disliked 4E enough that it was the reason I made the switch to PF. Not a wank just the reasons why I switched.
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

Return to “Role Playing Games”