What's your current game doing?

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
ad1066
I am the story stick

Re: What's your current game doing?

Postby ad1066 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:11 pm

So my solo from my previous post may be dead. We got into a bad firefight, and I took a couple of SMG rounds, enough damage to put me in Mortal0. I failed the death save, but my buddies dragged me into a cab and are racing to find medical attention. We'll find out soon enough if they make it in time.

-- Ben
Ben Morgan
ad1066 AT gmail thingy
Burn After Reading: Creative and Subversive Endeavors
Play Spookybeans, or Barzac will devour your head.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:53 pm

We are faffing about but having fun.

Dropped a plot bomb cliff hanger, let's see if that gets them moving.

Glorious_Leader
BABUSHKA!

Postby Glorious_Leader » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:01 pm

I'm currently playing in the darkest game I've ever participated in.

We're using the original Serenity setting for a generic sci-fi near future setting. The summarized plot is the following:
A corporate conglomerate somehow discovered that an alien invasion is on the way. They secretly began harvesting a new, rare element on asteroids to make specialized weapons and prepare for it. When the invasion caught everyone by surprise the company enacted a top secret directive that mandated the employees of the asteroid mining stations to board their transport vessels and wait. The stations all went dark to avoid detection. The vessels had secretly been made capable of jumping through time. The vessels sent the players decades into the future, after mankind has been completely subjugated to the alien rule. We play as the crew aboard one of the vessels.

We're playing as terrorists. Not heroic freedom fighters, but terrorists. Everyone our characters knew and loved were brutally massacred in the initial invasion. As a result, the game is about overthrowing an occupying force, but most of our characters make no distinction between civilians and combatants among the aliens. We've blown up hospitals that were at full capacity and gunned down the survivors crawling out of the rubble. We've hunted down the families of alien leaders and murdered them. We've detonated improvised explosives in busy centers of commerce.

The game isn't just a game equivalent to Postal or Falling Down though. It's interesting because our characters don't see the aliens as deserving of human rights. And the GM facilitates that by making them genuinely alien and nonhuman. But a lot of the most powerful moments in the games are when we discover little things that suggest they are like us in some capacity [My character saw one of the creatures running out from rubble after an explosion for what he thought was a weapon and gunned the alien down. Upon closer examination found the "weapon" had actually been the alien equivalent of a teddy bear], but our characters actively try to explain these phenomenon away to reassure themselves what they're doing is right.

It's the most well played and authentic evil campaign I've ever witnessed.
А ну, чики-брики и в дамки

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:10 pm

Set off into the jungles of Chult. Killed some zombies. And a few axe-beaks. Stupid guerrilla goblins are being a right hassle, though.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Necronomitron
TOFtBCH

Postby Necronomitron » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:58 am

One session in, we've shipwrecked, fought off a group of orc scouts, found safety, and decided we're switching systems because we're already tired of D&D.
Because it is (a bad thing).

clintmemo
Paid to GM

Postby clintmemo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:06 am

We are supposed to be winding up the game I'm playing in this week and then I'll be taking over next week.
I'm going to run a sandboxy game in a city where there are several opposing forces each with their own secret plans.
I've been thinking about it for months and I keep coming up with more ways to connect elements with each other.
The relationship between them has become so convoluted in my head that I need to diagram it out to keep it straight.
To make it more complicated, there are three cases where someone that works for an opposing force has their own secret agenda, so becomes another opposing force.
I'm concerned because the players are never going to untangle the entire web - but I need to let that go. I just need to let them find a strand and follow it to the next node and then decide which strand to follow from there.

I suspect that I'm going to have to remind them of things once in a while.

The game is going to start out at a party for an NPC. While the PC's are mingling, each is going to get their own clue/plot thread either in the form of an NPC RP interaction or a partially overheard conversation.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Azhrei Vep
Player Possessed NPC

Postby Azhrei Vep » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:38 am

Let's see... Still playing Dresden Files. Things have definitely taken a ... bit of a turn.

Our teenage white court virgin hacker has taken up a Blackened Denarius and opened Pandora's Box. Literally. This has unleashed spirits of Plague, Bones, Death, Rage, and Decay on the city of Denver.

Our soulless lawyer has learned that she is just a vessel for Athena to use to manifest in the world more easily, and tasked everybody with getting the spirits back in their containers. Her player, forgetting information she'd been emailed, failed to let us know something very important, and imposed a one week time limit before we get hit with the spite of a greek goddess ... and the vampire denarian will anyway.

Our Gang Leader Dragon is doing his best to protect everybody (who matters), keeping the Denarian vampire safe and separate from our Knight of the Cross, strongly advising her to keep the coin close and take as much of its power as possible before the Goddess comes back (while making preparations to get it away from her afterward), and trying to nab some of the escaped spirits. ... "Trying" being the key word there. Turns out the spirit of bones summons spirits of everyone you've ever killed to seek vengeance, and, uh ... oooooooh... that's not good for someone who was once a self-described 'atrocity of hire.'

Our Dwarven Knight of the Cross is getting super annoyed. Every time someone tries to help him they make things worse. They all tried to help him have an intervention for the vampire about her denarian, and ended up pissing her off into opening pandora's box. Dragon tries to help him save someone under attack by the spirit of bones inside a church, ends up flipping out, declaring "You're not the boss of me any more!" to someone the knight can't even see, and destroying a church. Oh, and the vampire had already showed up, grabbed the person, and left before they even arrived. Valkyrie joins him in investigating a hospital where nobody is dying, and she ends up infecting everyone there with a horribly fatal disease, then bailing on him. Take the dragon into a riot to quell a spirit of rage? Finds it inside a small child, dragon nearly turns on the knight, then barely avoids ripping the kid in half and trying to pour the spirit out, and eventually just wanders off to join the riot vents and giggles. Dragon later pursues decay on his own to save a ... friend?... and ends up unnecessarily murdering a group of possessed people because he thought they were going to attack him, and cripples Decay's host ... only to learn when the Knight arrives that it's a body jumper who'd hopped into the prisoner dragon came to save while he was busy breaking all the host's limbs.

Our Valkyrie, turns out, got possessed by the spirit of plague. She spreads a plague that causes you to bleed out your everything and die within an hour. When the knight took her to the hospital, she gave blood. She spit in half the cafeteria food without getting caught. She fucked off to go take a bath in the city's reservoir. She showed up after the knight saved Rage's six-year-old host to give it a hug and help him get it out of the riot the kid had caused ... and stole the vessel that can contain the spirit. And her final act of last session? Sending out a message to the group talking about how much she prefers modern day to the old days. Back then she had to use rats or infect wells or other things. Now she has awesome no tools ... like a cropduster. That dumped infected water all over the Dragon gang leader's territory inside the city.

It's a bad time to live in 2038 dys-trump-ian future Denver.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

okeefe
Dapper Metroid

Postby okeefe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:10 pm

In our Stars Without Number game, our beneficent company has outfitted us with a ship to explore a new sector. They get a cut of any rewards or profits and all intel.

So far we've managed to avoid a trap at a pirate-commandeered refueling station, steal two exo-suits and a 300-year-owl bowflex from a different, automatic refueling station abandoned since the Scream, and board what turned out to be an abandoned generation ship in high orbit over a planet that's reverted to an earlier tech level. We've convinced the ship that its best interests involve defrosting 40 of the crew to come with us so that they might come back later to fix the ship and have it continue its sub-light journey to another planet that its “children” might conquer. (They failed against the planet many years earlier, which is why it is stranded in orbit.) Not sure how it's going to ultimately work out, but there's a significant reward for turning in generation ship refugees, so that's good money if we can get back home.

We're having fun, but I'm not sure if the rules of SWN have much of anything to do with it.
“You have made an enemy of the birds, my friend.”

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:43 am

Azhrei Vep wrote:Let's see... Still playing Dresden Files.

Given that the orange one would be 92 in 2038, is there some necromancy going on here?

Azhrei Vep
Player Possessed NPC

Postby Azhrei Vep » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:39 pm

zircher wrote:
Azhrei Vep wrote:Let's see... Still playing Dresden Files.

Given that the orange one would be 92 in 2038, is there some necromancy going on here?

Not on him, although Putin doesn't look a day older. Lotta theories about what's happened there.

Nah, Donny died in the early 2020's, still in office despite flat losing in 2020, due to a pile of reasons. He got out of control enough for someone in his cabinet (I forget who at this point) to assassinate him, and Ivanka took over.

... And she turned out to have both the same general values and way more competence in the fine art of getting her way. It's been a bad time.

One of the ongoing conflicts among the supernatural community is between groups who, in the face of such absurd mortal incompetence (there are other situations stupidity and awfulness going on around the world too), are agitating for a full shadow takeover of the mortal governments of the world (mostly among wild fae and vampires), those who want to openly take over (Mostly freeholding lords, old gods, other individuals with the power to function as factions unto themselves ... and my dragon), and the Wizards aggressively attempting to preserve the Status Quo, with the collective rep necessary to keep things in line thanks to the vampire war ... for now.

My big scaly boy is bound and determined to turn The Dresden Files into The Hollows before the century is out. Throwing overtly superhuman power around while other people struggle to hide is just ten tons of fun in a five pound bag.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Return to “Role Playing Games”