What's your current game doing?

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: What's your current game doing?

Postby tombombodil » Wed May 06, 2020 1:04 pm

Ikoma wrote:It's nice to get back behind the screen after a few year break. I know some people stick to one or the other, but I need both playing and running.

I almost always get pretty bored as a player, there's too much downtime in many game systems for me personally to stay invested over a 3-4 hour session imo. At least compared to running a game where you're engaged and doing stuff literally the entire time, which i get could be exhausting, but I'm just so used to it that's a non-issue.

Note I still do play on occasion and enjoy it mostly, but I would not play TTRPGs at this point if I was a player 50+% of the time
Have you found the yellow sign?

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Wed May 06, 2020 1:27 pm

Tom

A while ago you pitched an idea on the PBP forum for a game based on the Thomas Covenant Land, but it never got off the ground. Have you ever considered giving that another go?

At the time I lacked any experience of the system you were planning on using, so I didn't feel able to participate at the level you were talking. That has changed now, so I would definitely be up for it if you could find other players.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun May 10, 2020 11:53 am

Oh man that's right! well considering I'm currently playing in 2 games and running 1 I wouldn't be up for it right this moment. But I'll revisit the system (and the books too frankly as I haven't read them since high school) and see if inspiration strikes.

Kai Gaiden
The Baron's Body Double

Postby Kai Gaiden » Thu May 14, 2020 12:45 am

Running in 2 different 5e games atm. Roll20 has been great esp with all this virus insanity.

Descent into Avernus - Playing a Human Ranger that has thrown in with a shady group in Baldur's Gate after his home town was nearly destroyed by a deal made by someone there and a devil. After being forced into a mercenary group that had begun forcing itself as a corrupt city guard on BG, we were chasing a crime family lead when we were forced to plane shift to find a city that had begun falling into Avernus. Our characters have had to adjust to not only the extremely hostile nature of the place but also the constant swarm of devils and demons. Rumor has it, when we get all the way down to Avernus, itll be something of a Mad Max situation including apocalyptic war cars or some such. My ranger has had trouble with the fact that he can't seem to reach or save any animals including the hellhounds we keep fighting. This isnt helped by the fact that he is carrying a shield that contains a pit fiend that keeps whispering to him about everything. This will be driving him toward rage, specifically Path of the Beast Barbarian for a few level dips. Should be fun

Eberron

Same group as above, different person DMing. She is running a continent spanning mystery/action after contact from a mysterious benefactor featuring renegade War Forged but we have sidetracked the main story the entire way lol. Filled with me getting a romantic hook and more recently a religious/familial hook. Im playing an Aasimar Storm Cleric that had a dip into Sorcerer causing an Aberrant Dragonmark to play havoc with him. We just found out all the tech every nation has been using and been built upon uses elementals as the power source and they aren't happy. So we decided to do the impossible....create alternate (ie steam or some other magical) power for the entire world in order to then free them since the alternative seems to be a whole new war vs them. As if renegade War Forged werent bad enough.
Vidya gaming entertainment!
http://www.youtube.com/memoocan

"Now the boxes are doing it!" -Chad

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:50 pm

My newbies decided they didn’t want to go into a dungeon, they just wanted to build a massive bomb and seal it off. So we had a completely improv session about building bombs with D&D era tech.

I’m proud of them.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:33 am

Our campaign came to the end of a story arc last night. It's all been good fun and mayhem, what with the ship of monkeys, the secret society, the upheaval in the city, the groom intended for the party member we were taking to that city turning out to be an imposter, his missing brother turning out to not be the real brother either, the forged letters, and then the intended bride wins them over to the idea of trying a republic and choosing to stay and help them get started, well, we've had fun.
But it was clear that the player running Pippa's character just was having less and less fun. In the end, she said she'd given roleplaying a good two-campaign trial, and she just wasn't into it.
So, the party -- now reduced to three -- has headed off on "their" ship further into Marco Polo land, and also away from any vestiges of plot the GM had in mind. As one of the remaining players is a chaos engine -- and one of the best natural roleplayers I've ever seen -- it should be epic.
We are just in sight of the Black Sea port of Trebizond: one courtier with a penchant for strong drink, one bodyguard and muscleman, and one bard with a trained monkey.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:22 am

We landed at Trebizond, found lodgings, and got a nice profit on the goods we'd brought with us. We've retained the ship, sending the captain to do cargo runs and so forth around the Black Sea, and took three of the crew with us as porters/spare muscle. We found an inn, and are making plans to join a caravan eastwards looking for trade connections to establish, and also heading for Mount Ararat and the cities of the Three Magi, and the unquenchably burning rock. (I've read my Marco Polo. The GM hasn't. My character being from somewhere around there, I'd know of these things.)

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:12 am

Playing Forge of Fury after doing a bunch of little 5 room dungeon stuff.

They've blown almost every finite resource they have on the top level (of five). They don't really know what to do with a more 80s/90s style adventure where you have a dozen+ small-ball orc/goblin/wolf encounters before you fight the really nasty stuff, and you're supposed to conserve your spell slots and daily abilities for them.

This is fun!

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:13 am

We've been going very slowly, what with how much more exhausting the GM's job is with COVID stuff. And we start at 8, but that really means we start the chat at 8 and then have to wind up to it all, and we wrap up at 9:30, so we really have about one hour of gaming a night. It does mean we remember all of what happened the previous session.

But the party has set out again, joining a caravan heading from Trebizond to Mt. Ararat and the Caspian Sea, still as emissaries of the Duke of Venice (who won't have yet gotten the message that we're doing this). We've got a safe-passage token from the official of Kublai Khan, too. Lorenzo is working on his wind and weather magic, Iakov is advancing his riding and literacy skills, and Bolgana (my character) has gotten a firm lead on where to look for her home village. The twin peaks of Mt. Ararat are just in sight. We are at a monastery/convent, so this is a good place to enquire about relics and stories and valuable gems and minerals.

John
Host

Postby John » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:52 am

4 goblins just got 3 of the 4 level 1 PCs into death saves, 2 of which got to 2 failures (meaning, death on the next one). Not Method I joke characters with flea-rags and kitchen knives, reasonably optimized characters made using all default PHB methods.

All survived. I love rolling with no screen when it creates genuine terrifyingly close wins.

Return to “Role Playing Games”