What's your current game doing?

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
Nny
Holder of The Stabbing Screwdriver

Re: What's your current game doing?

Postby Nny » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:10 pm

Got a friend wanting to play Star Trek: Adventures. Ive been part of a very casual discord PbP with STA up to this point but i have never run the system myself as a GM. When we talked about playing, i said yeah, let's do it. He'd never played a tabletop rpg before, then the virus hit our area, and i honestly expected it to end there, as i didn't hear anything back from him.
Got a phone call today that he was going out to get dice and wanted to know what kind of dice he needed for he and his wife. I love it. I talked him in to using or buying a dice rolling app and we'll game on zoom or discord. Im excited but I find his enthusiasm intimidating.
Gonna roll up characters tomorrow

John
Host

Postby John » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:09 pm

John two months ago wrote:We got to the point where pure casters get third level spells...

Now we got to fourth level spells.

We've been cruising through the combats ever since I got haste and fireball, and now I have polymorph.

And they say sorcerers don't get enough spells.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:45 am

John wrote:
John two months ago wrote:We got to the point where pure casters get third level spells...

Now we got to fourth level spells.

We've been cruising through the combats ever since I got haste and fireball, and now I have polymorph.

And they say sorcerers don't get enough spells.

Sorcerers get PLENTY of spells! Too many of them are concentration.

Current game has gotten weird... two sessions ago we finally found this ur-scroll MacGuffin that several parties have been hunting for. We had a choice... read it and 're-make the world in our image' or 'not'. Big philosophical debate about whether we should or not. My characters are always designed to act. So I argued we read it. Who better to re-make the world than us? Doing nothing just kicked the can down the road. Sooner or later, someone would read it. I persuaded everyone that this is what we should do. My PC starts reading the scroll.

Boom! Dopplegangers of our party show up. I'm thinking we're gonna have an epic mirror showdown. But instead both versions of ourselves take damage done to either of us. So it's a Kabayashi Maru situation... we have to find another solution. Our elvish ranger gets sucked into a dimensional pocket by this diety who gives him (and his doppleganger) a third option. Destroy the scroll. But it will cost him his life. Ohh! Good roleplaying opportunity. He thinks it over and decides to sacrifice himself to destroy the scroll so no one can ever use it. I'm thinking this is a bold move. But then... DM tells him he will just play the doppleganger (who has all the same memories/abilities/everything) so... less bold. The other dopplegangers gang fade away. End of session.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:12 am

Ikoma wrote:Sorcerers get PLENTY of spells! Too many of them are concentration.

True. Concentration is the hatchet that they took between 3.x and 5 to bring caster supremacy down a bit.

Sorcs are the best at subverting it though with the mighty twinned spell.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:30 am

John wrote:

True. Concentration is the hatchet that they took between 3.x and 5 to bring caster supremacy down a bit.

Concentration and less spells per day across the board. Also giving the GM a hard nerf option by making Feats an optional rule.
Have you found the yellow sign?

xsgtdanusmc
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby xsgtdanusmc » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:15 am

tombombodil wrote:
John wrote:

Concentration and less spells per day across the board. Also giving the GM a hard nerf option by making Feats an optional rule.

Paladin is the same thing. Most combat effective spells require concentration, so a choice is made early on on whether defense or offense is needed. At higher levels it becomes a conundrum.
Dir hat man wohl ins Gehirn geschissen und vergessen umzurühren.

"I can eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and defecate a better argument."
-Unknown

Evil Tim
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Evil Tim » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:22 pm

Running the essential series as I move to behind the screen. Practicing all those lessons learned from listening to this podcast for the past 15 years. Luckily my group is happy to run through things and write notes on things I did good, and things I could improve or cut.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue May 05, 2020 10:16 am

So my current game has shifted to online (due to current world conditions). And has shifted to weekly (for the same reasons, no one has any other competing activities). The GM has really been struggling to keep up. He's running two games (one for us, one for his new in-laws) and then playing in another online streaming campaign. It doesn't help that our campaign is high level D&D with all the craziness that comes with it. So I volunteered to step up and run an 'alternative' game. If our GM is ready to go, then we play that game. If he's not, I step in and run the new campaign.

I'm pretty excited. This will be a much more improvisational campaign than I ever tried before.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue May 05, 2020 1:24 pm

Ikoma wrote:So my current game has shifted to online (due to current world conditions). And has shifted to weekly (for the same reasons, no one has any other competing activities). The GM has really been struggling to keep up. He's running two games (one for us, one for his new in-laws) and then playing in another online streaming campaign. It doesn't help that our campaign is high level D&D with all the craziness that comes with it. So I volunteered to step up and run an 'alternative' game. If our GM is ready to go, then we play that game. If he's not, I step in and run the new campaign.

I'm pretty excited. This will be a much more improvisational campaign than I ever tried before.

Yeah I also went from 0 traditional RPGs to playing in two and running one. It's been a pretty heavy lift but thankfully one of them is actually a West Marches game, and both the games I'm playing in are pretty RP lite so it's not as much between-game thinking involved.

BUT I'm very happy to be running a hard core old school Call of Cthulhu time for the first time in years. I've played more CoC than anything and it's nice to slip back into it like a comfy old pair of eldritch sweatpants.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed May 06, 2020 10:13 am

It's nice to get back behind the screen after a few year break. I know some people stick to one or the other, but I need both playing and running.

Return to “Role Playing Games”