What's your current game doing?

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
Beeronious
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Re: What's your current game doing?

Postby Beeronious » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:57 pm

Been playing Wrath and Glory (Warhammer 40K ).

I'm using/adapting the first adventure in the Dark Tides adventure series as my first game to help myself, and the players learn the system. Players are assigined to investigate the murders of some nobles on a hive world. Players decide to latch on to the missing Governor that was mentioned as flavour and start investigating that.

Decide to hell with it and that's what they're investigating now.

Channel my inner Chad and improv 98% of the session. Players have no idea. Feel gangsta AF.

Also have my own Phil in the party. I'm confident if I throw him a second chainsword he'll be happy as a pig in mud.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:54 pm

Law and Order: Hook Island is into "The B-Teams Big Adventure."
Having Completed "Well-care visit," "Test Trip", and "Shakedown Cruise," they now embark on the meat of the plot beginning with..."Sinbad on Skull Island of Narnia."
Retirement Date: 3 years or 1 bad day

John
Host

Postby John » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:27 am

One of my LMOP noob groups just got to the nothic and they hate it passionately but left it alone since they couldn't really afford to fight it in their state.

Now I'm texting them life advice from it throughout the week. Today's selections were "go to the express aisle with more than 20 items" and "sing baby shark to your friends' kids so they start singing it".

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:55 pm

John wrote:One of my LMOP noob groups just got to the nothic and they hate it passionately but left it alone since they couldn't really afford to fight it in their state.

Now I'm texting them life advice from it throughout the week. Today's selections were "go to the express aisle with more than 20 items" and "sing baby shark to your friends' kids so they start singing it".

:lol:

Let us know if they bypass the Green Dragon without a second thought (like my group did) or get a tpk from it.

Later on after the the adventure was over they went back to investigate it. I had the dragon cultists convince them that they wanted help getting rid of it. Only for them to offer the PCs as a sacrifice immediately.

John
Host

Postby John » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:07 pm

Glenn wrote:Let us know if they bypass the Green Dragon without a second thought (like my group did) or get a tpk from it.

Later on after the the adventure was over they went back to investigate it. I had the dragon cultists convince them that they wanted help getting rid of it. Only for them to offer the PCs as a sacrifice immediately.

They are a LOT more shy now after managing to essentially fight the entire Redbrand hideout at one time. Fortunately (and somewhat miraculously considering all of the rolls were done in the open without being faked) they ran away without getting anyone killed. The one square wide tunnel out to the secret forest entrance was critical to that effort.

I don't think they're going to go anywhere near that dragon but I've been wrong before. They could collectively decide (wrongly) that while the world was a scary place for them at level 2 they are capable of killing anything they see at level 4.

Beeronious
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Beeronious » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:24 pm

We had a character death in the campaign of Wrath and Glory I'm running.

Our too old for this shit Imperial Guard medic rounded the corner of a warehouse and came face to face with a heavily armed battle automata. Sadly his compatriots were too far away and despite running for it, he copped a short range multimelta to the back.

Rolls above the table (which I do for all rolls as a GM, since I am extremely lucky with dice) and sadly he got toasted in one shot. OOC I offered him the chance to keep his character but he was keen to have a character that wasn't purely a healbot so there was no sour grapes.

The rest of the party browned their pants, but fortunately the Tempestus Scion scored a critical and they burned just about all their glory points (think fate points) to enhance the critical so as to two shot the thing.

John
Host

Postby John » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:23 am

The party decided not to fight the green dragon after a bitterly split 2-2 decision which was resolved by the 2 no votes telling the 2 yes votes that they were free to go fight it themselves.

The climactic encounter was a couple sessions later. They tried to take a long rest in Wave Echo Cave in the wraith's house after (loudly) killing most of the undead. The Black Spider scouted them out and enacted his final plan: send Iarno and Yeemik, along with most of the bugbears, to redeem themselves for their failures in Cragmaw Cave and Phandalin by killing the adventurers. If they succeed, problem solved. If they fail, kill the captive Nundro and flee to the Underdark.

The goon squad hit hard and took the rogue and sorcerer into 0 hp death saves (Iarno knows to geek the mage, and besides, no easy buckets during the finale, even if it's the starter box) but were finished off by the monk and cleric. The drow then ran for it while they rested.

Everyone decided to stay on with the dwarf clan that revived the mine and we did little epilogues about how they fit into its society. All in all a good game. They did basically everything in the booklet other than the green dragon fight, along with some travel and town RP, over the course of perhaps 8 or 10 sessions of 3-4 hours.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:38 am

We're finally at that point of the campaign when some of the previous bad guys / NPCs start to recycle back into the story proving themselves to be the more critical movers and shakers in the region. My players have established their characters as a big deal in a small pond, now it's time to widen the pool a bit and throw some challenges at them.

Next up is a giant magical crocodile and it's kua-toa allies/servants. Oh, and the party is set to rescue a damsel in distress who is really a bad guy (the Frog Prince) who was in disguise. This should be fun!

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:13 am

This weekend AmberCon NW held their event virtually and as such I was able to attend for the first time. I had a blast with multiple games include an interesting 'diceless' version of FGU's Space Opera.

Lord Foul
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:07 am

Lord Foul wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:I'm running the first off-world adventure for the recurring cast in my AD&D 1st Ed. campaign. It is a holy quest for the fabled Lonsdale Belt, an Asgardian artifact made by the dwarves of Nidavellir, stolen by a Type V Demoness and taken back to her stronghold on the 4th plane of Tarterus.

The party, led by a priest of Odin, have to travel across the Astral Plane to Tarterus, then find their way through the first three layers, going via portals between the levels, to the fourth plane, where the demon's fortress lies within the realm of Grolantor, god of the hill giants.

This adventure is quite a departure for the party, who are around 10th level. My rule tweaks for adventures on other planes have been quite a shock to the system, as I've changed things so that the PCs remain unchanged while everything around them changes. Basically, anything native to the outer planes has its hit dice and damage doubled. The effect is to make these powerful characters rather more nervous than they started out. Complacency is a dangerous thing in this setting!

They are currently 9 sessions in and are still on the first plane of Tarterus, having suffered an accidental petrification requiring them to do a deal with a local magical guild called The Cabal to perform a task in return for a cure. That task turned out to be dealing with a local protection racket run by a malebranche with a squad of barbed devil enforcers. They have just succeeded in defeating the devils following a climactic confrontation in the bad guys' base. I believe they have learned some valuable lessons about the scale of things in Tarterus, that should serve them well for the rest of the adventure.

Most awesome moment so far was last session, during the climax, when things were going decidedly badly for the party. The head priest let rip with his Sunray (1/day effect of a magic item) which damaged and blinded the malebranche and two of his remaining heavies (and blew up his imp familiar), but also produced enough natural sunlight to allow the party witch to cast her Laser Beam spell (only castable in natural sunlight), which did double damage on undead and fiends and in this case did 66 HP damage to the malebranche and was the turning point in the fight.

Time for an update. :think:

We're now 14 sessions in and the party has found and passed through a portal to the second plane of Tarterus, where they have to navigate across the plains of razor grass and through the acid jungle to find the next portal.

The last couple of sessions have been particularly interesting from a role-playing perspective, sparked off by an accident brought about by one player's inattention. Travelling across the plains, the party found themselves being tracked by a flock of demonic flightless birds (diakka). Attempts to avoid a confrontation failed and the birds began moving in to encircle the party, hooting and cawing ("mine, mine!") with fairly clear intent.

As the birds closed in, the ranger cast an Entangle spell and the hobbit thief went invisible. The hobbit then moved forward to get behind some of the birds ready for backstabbing. But of course he couldn't see the Entangle until he was in it, and he promptly failed his save and got all caught up in the grass. Then the witch cast a Fireball at one of the birds, forgetting that its blast radius was big enough to cover the area where the hobbit was entangled. Oops! :shock: The hobbit failed again (no dex due to entangle) and lost his magic gossamer armour, his ring of feather falling and his Heward's handy haversack (containing all his money and all the party's food stores). He was not happy! But at least the fire burned away the grass and freed him.

The battle was well and truly joined, and the witch received almost instant karma as one of the birds scored a double damage critical hit and took her down in a single blow. She wasn't quite dead, but then the hobbit bounced in with his boots of striding and springing and gave her a coup de grace as payback. :wtf:

The rest of the fight was brutal and over quite quickly, once the big hitters got going. But then it got really interesting, as the players began arguing over whether or not to raise the witch. They had the means to do so; the question was whether they should just let her die, as some mixture of punishment and prevention of future accidents. A lively debate ensued, with the hobbit (neutral) arguing strongly to let her rot, and some of the good characters arguing the other side. The most interesting part was that two of the good PCs voted to leave her dead. When they took a vote it was only the evil NPC barghest voting to save her that caused a split decision.

They still hadn't decided by the time I ended the session, and between sessions I sent round an email addressing the subject of Tarterus and how it messes with people through temptation to the dark path. I also alluded to the thorny subject of alignment as a timely reminder to the players that there are sometimes consequences for not behaving in an appropriate manner.

They clearly took the hint, as in the last session they quickly agreed a compromise whereby they would raise the witch and Quest her not to harm the party again, the hobbit agreed not to murder her in cold blood for breaking his stuff, and both of the good characters who had lapsed were conspicuously on their best behaviour. At least now they know what is at stake here, and they gave me such a perfect example to use as an illustration of the Tarterus temptation effect. I love my players! :D

We're finished until next year now, and I left them, having met up with a troop of Armanites (demonic centaurs), with their first view of the acid jungle and the twisted, vine-covered tower of The Apothecary of Sin, mad scientist and dealer in potions, balms and oil of acid resistance. ;)

Time for another update. :D

Only two sessions have been played since the last update, during which our intrepid heroes visited The Apothecary of Sin (an insane arcanodaemon), enjoyed a grand feast much like the one in Temple of Doom, went fishing in an extradimensional pool (where they caught an extradimensional fish - larger on the inside), negotiated the purchase of a bulk supply of oil of acid resistance and a considerable number of other potions, spent a peaceful night resting and left to begin the next stage of their journey, through the acid jungle to the second portal.

Everything appears to be going perfectly...

...which of course ought to be ringing huge warning bells. :twisted:

In fact, things are going just about as badly as they could. Unbeknownst to the party, their witch has been replaced with a simulacrum. The real witch, a grey elf, is currently hanging suspended from a framework in the laboratory, in temporal stasis, with tubes taking a very slow drip feed of top quality elf blood for the making of potions of longevity (one of the most valuable potions in the universe).

They had opportunities to discover and foil the plot. The hobbit thief wanted to go on a night-time sneak, but found he was being followed by the party's barghest guide, apparently at the instruction of the cleric leader of the party. Lots of trust going on in this group. Anyway, that was enough to put the thief off his escapade, which might have discovered what the Apothecary was up to. The witch herself, while in her "private audience to discuss and trade potion recipes", had one round to do something when the Apothecary began casting a spell at her. There were a few things she might have done to foil the attempt, mostly by drawing the attention of the rest of the party, but she chose not to do any of them and missed her chance. No save against temporal stasis.

Now the party is one day into the jungle, and the player of the witch is doing a fine job of playing the simulacrum, using the witch's low-level spells and items to keep up the masquerade. It is only a matter of time before they figure it out. The witch's pseudo-dragon familiar is under psionic hypnosis to believe the fake is the real witch, but the post-hypnotic suggestion has a 5% cumulative chance per day of wearing off. Also, they are only a day and a half away from the second portal, which is currently home to a rakshasa with a bunch of bar-lgura demons and giant spiders. The rakshasa's illusions will almost certainly prompt the cleric to cast true seeing... and the jig will be up.

I am so looking forward to the sheer horror when they realise they have lost the witch and now have to go back through the acid jungle to the tower of the hideously powerful wizard-demon, to attempt a rescue. :D

I feel so evil. :twisted:

Long overdue for an update. I was waiting for the end of the current scenario, but the game has been put on hold during the pandemic so I might as well bring us up to date until we get the chance to move things on again.

So, our intrepid heroes spent another couple of days trekking through the acid jungle on the second plane of Tarterus, heading for the portal to the third plane. On the way they dealt with a bunch of triffids (highly poisonous mobile plants), a pack of large rodents (osquips) who tried to gnaw their way into the party's cottage (one of them can cast Leomund's Secure Shelter to create a magical cottage for them to rest in each night - very handy!) and a group of carnivorous apes, who were persuaded to join the party by the Priest of Odin charming the alpha male.

The most alarming encounter on the way through the jungle was another night-time one. This time the cottage was assailed by an enormous snake, which coiled around the secure shelter and began squeezing it, resulting in a lot of alarming creaking and cracking noises. When the party went on the offensive they found it also had a hypnotic gaze and a sleep-inducing song, which had sent the apes into a blissful slumber. Fortunately the PCs were able to resist the effects and they made short work of the snake once they ganged up on it.

Speaking with the lead ape they learned that the portal was in the lair of somebody called Khan, who ruled this area of the jungle. This of course is the rakshasa mentioned before, although they didn't learn this fact until later.

With the apes increasing their numbers the party felt confident enough to approach quite openly and see if this Khan was willing to negotiate rather than just attack them out of hand. As they approached they saw a magnificent gilded palace, in an eastern style, with liveried guards and servants, one of whom bowed and welcomed them, gesturing that they should enter the grand hall where Khan awaited them.

They dutifully went inside, but the priest of Odin was suspicious, so he tarried outside with his apes, casting a few spells to prepare himself. The rest of the party went into the palace, where they found a fabulous great hall, with pillars and fountains and more liveried servants, plus a couple of dozen dancing girls, and an Indian-looking gentleman in a turban seated on a golden throne with a pair of leopards sitting to either side.

The party started talking with Khan, to negotiate passage through the portal to the third plane. It quickly became clear that he was expecting them and knew more about them than they guessed. Specifically, he knew about their defeat of the malebranche on the first plane, and his price for letting them through the portal was the devil's wand of fire ("what I desire, is the wand of fire, to make my dreams come true!")

Around this time the priest of Odin made his entrance, and he had cast a True Seeing spell, so I described to him what he saw in place of the magnificent gilded palace (an old crumbling ruin), the liveried servants (bar-lgura demons), the dancing girls (giant spiders), the leopards (kamadan), Khan himself (rakshasa), and the mural behind the throne depicting Khan holding aloft a flaming brand while a crowd worships him (the portal). Oh, and the witch in the party is really an animated block of ice (simulacrum)...

... :shock: ...

... :wtf: ...

The priest's immediate reaction was to jump to the conclusion that all this was Khan's doing, so he went on the offensive and started casting spells, threatening to kick off a battle they might not have won (they probably would but it would have cost them potential allies). Khan responded by fireballing them and it was looking dicey until some of the other players twigged and they succeeeded in talking down the priest of Odin, while the hobbit thief pilfered the wand of fire from the simulacrum and tossed it to Khan, saying "Here you go, now we have a deal."

With the wand secured Khan was happy to call off his minions and negotiate in 'good' faith. The party interogated the simulacrum and discovered that it was all The Apothecary's doing, then they surprised me by deciding very quickly to go back and attempt a rescue. Khan was rather amused by their plight, but offered his advice on their ideas for a rescue, pointing out sufficient salient points to help guide them to a realistic plan.

In short, the Apothecary is unbeatable. If he attacks the party they are all doomed. If he defends they have no realistic chance to defeat him. So they realised, with a little help, that their only chance was to make him think he's under attack by a force strong enough to cause him to go into full defensive mode, then sneak in to rescue the witch while he's defending his inner sanctum. All they needed is an attack force to sacrifice on the decoy assault.

So, the charmed apes became half of the strike force, bolstered by a bunch of einheriar (viking warriors) summoned by a horn of Valhalla. Khan agreed to go with the strike force, with his bar-lgura demons, and use his powers of illusion to make it appear that there were six times as many (so a force of 30 viking warriors and 30 carnivorous apes would attack the tower). The barghest guide also volunteered to join the attack force so he could dimension door to warn the party when the attack was about to fail and it was time to leave in a hurry.

After another two or three days trekking back through the jungle, using up most of their remaining supply of oil of acid resistance, they arrived back at the Apothecary's tower and put their plan into effect.

The strike force charged in and began the assault, quickly pushing the defenders back towards the inner sanctum where the defences were strongest. Then the main party went in, quickly dealing with a couple of piscodaemons who got in their way, and headed for the laboratory where the simulacrum had revealed the real witch was being held.

Entering the area of the laboratory and its storage rooms, they ran into The Head, a huge disembodied undead head which was hanging from the ceiling by its tentacles. The Head started using its magical powers while out of reach of most of the party, and its first spell (a Death Spell) killed the pseudo-dragon familiar of the witch they had come to save. While some of the party fought the lab assistant, another piscodaemon, and others searched and looted the storerooms (the hobbit thief found the stock room containing around 170 magic potions and was busily loading them into a bag of holding), two or three of the party battled The Head using a combination of levitation and jump spells.

After a tough fight the Head was finally beaten and they found the witch suspended naked on a framework in the laboratory, with tubes attached drawing off her blood very slowly, and various potion-making paraphernalia about the place, which they also helped themselves to. Then it was time to leave. Carrying the witch (still under temporal stasis) and with as much loot as they could quickly gather, they made a run for it back to the main hall of the tower. Here they did notice that the dead pseudo-dragon was wearing the witch's amulet of life protection, which it had taken from the simulacrum during the journey (so it could be raised).

And that is where we had to end the last session.

Next time they have to complete the mission and get out. As soon as they reach the main hall the barghest will appear, saying "We're taking a beating upstairs. It's time to go!" But then they'll have to make a choice between heading out immediately or taking the time to raid the Apothecary's study as well, which contains a lot of extra loot they would find very useful. If they tarry they'll have to fight another piscodaemon at the study door and one of the mezzodaemons coming from the battle upstairs (hasted by potion of speed). Decisions, decisions! :twisted:

Khan will make his own escape by being teleported by one of his bar-lgura, so he'll be waiting for them in the jungle if they make it back outside. His price for helping them in the rescue is first pick of the loot, so he'll be waiting to see what they have for him.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Return to “Role Playing Games”