Game Size?

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
Lord Foul
Kangaroo, Buffalo, and Chris, OH MY!

Re: Game Size?

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:04 pm

tombombodil wrote:I think the main reason I prefer 3-4 players for my two favorite systems (Trail of Cthulhu and recently Night's Black Agents) is because having too large a party in those systems gives the players access to too many resources and a little too much "strength in numbers" camaraderie which starts to dull the oppressive sense of fighting against more powerful, more knowledgeable, and better equipped foe that these systems are built around.

That's a good point. In my current game with a big group they are adventuring on Tarterus, these characters' first experience of the outer planes. They are seriously powerful people, but here they have to adjust their thinking and everything is a whole league more dangerous. That keeps it viable and interesting, as any complacency they might have had going in to the adventure has quickly been replaced with genuine fear. :twisted:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Pruthian Caveman
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:15 am

I prefer 2-4 players, but that's partially because my hearing isn't that great, and more than 4 players seems to generate enough cross-talk that I can't follow what's being said, even when it's directed at me.
(ended up with an eight-player game of AD&D 2ed once, and that was ... nightmarish)

Most of my games involve a chunk of "figuring things out", and a smaller group seems to work better for that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

keithcurtis
Ennies Ballot Box Stuffer

Postby keithcurtis » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:07 pm

tombombodil wrote:
keithcurtis wrote:This is especially true in action conflicts. Combat for too many people can lead to boredom waiting for your turn to come around.

This is where you have to factor in how familiar each player is with the system. A pathfinder combat can take 7 hard core vets 1/5th the time it would take 1 vet and 3 complete noobs.

This is true. I have been in Champions games (a notoriously crunchy system, with fistfulls of dice) with 7 players fighting seven villains, and multiple combats per game that never lagged. But these were games where everyone was very familiar with the system, and an excellent GM who knew how to manage an encounter.

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:30 am

keithcurtis wrote:This is true. I have been in Champions games (a notoriously crunchy system, with fistfulls of dice) with 7 players fighting seven villains

"I'd like to make a character with a 13 Speed."
"This is why no one likes you, Steve."
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

keithcurtis
Ennies Ballot Box Stuffer

Postby keithcurtis » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Mikel wrote:
keithcurtis wrote:This is true. I have been in Champions games (a notoriously crunchy system, with fistfulls of dice) with 7 players fighting seven villains

"I'd like to make a character with a 13 Speed."
"This is why no one likes you, Steve."

Ha! I was in a Challenge of the Superfriends game (heavy Saturday Morning Cartoon adaptation), wherein line developer Steve Long asked to be able to play a transplanted Frank Miller Dark Knight*. Hilarity ensued.

Return to “Role Playing Games”