Random RPG thoughts

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
xsgtdanusmc
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: Random RPG thoughts

Postby xsgtdanusmc » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:17 am

tombombodil wrote:Anyone ever have to alter their character's personality to fill a roleplay role the party needed? Like a confrontation averse or quiet character having to be more confident and outgoing because you as a player are the only one in the group who's comfortable enough with roleplaying to take the lead?

All the time
Dir hat man wohl ins Gehirn geschissen und vergessen umzurühren.

"I can eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and defecate a better argument."
-Unknown

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:07 pm

xsgtdanusmc wrote:
tombombodil wrote:Anyone ever have to alter their character's personality to fill a roleplay role the party needed? Like a confrontation averse or quiet character having to be more confident and outgoing because you as a player are the only one in the group who's comfortable enough with roleplaying to take the lead?

All the time

My players went through this last game. The same person plays a gruff dwarf fighter every time and always rushes in a causes problems. That game the reserved cleric started playing that way and it helped the dwarf fighter realize how obnoxious he was and he started being the responsible one.

One session the fighter had to drag the cleric out of a fight over his shoulder and the taunting cleric ended up getting shot with an arrow and reduced his hit points to 0.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:29 pm

When you're running a game remotely, on a hangout or discord or something, how would you distribute cards or info secretly and randomly so you don't know, either, which cards the players each have?

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:38 pm

Leoff wrote:When you're running a game remotely, on a hangout or discord or something, how would you distribute cards or info secretly and randomly so you don't know, either, which cards the players each have?

Hmm, sounds like a job for something like tabletop simulator that just simulates an actual deck of cards or stack of notes.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:41 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Leoff wrote:When you're running a game remotely, on a hangout or discord or something, how would you distribute cards or info secretly and randomly so you don't know, either, which cards the players each have?

Hmm, sounds like a job for something like tabletop simulator that just simulates an actual deck of cards or stack of notes.

playingcards.io is one I'm using for a game that uses cards. You can put text on them and create your own deck.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:11 pm

Thank you. That looks really useful for a lot of things.
In the scenario I'm working on, each of the PCs is a ranger, healer, paladin, or civil servant (rogue) who rides a circuit in a network of small connected but separate villages. As in the board game Clue, each player knows a few things about where the others were the night the Event occurred, and where certain artifacts were, and each has some particular knowledge of some locations. The GM (me) deals out the cards, to each player and the GM stack, and we take it from there.
Whether the players follow Clue format or just trust each other (though one of them could be the one who Done It) and share all their info, is up to them.
So I certainly need cards for the players' official titles, the artifacts, and the locations.
I already have a good map of my favourite region.

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:14 pm

It's also possible to cut up images and put them in as cards in Roll20. I've used that for Montsegur 1244.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:51 pm

Mikel wrote:It's also possible to cut up images and put them in as cards in Roll20. I've used that for Montsegur 1244.

Yeah, I've known someone who did that for Monsterhearts, to give our NPC cast pictures. I've been slowly building up a collection for the same purpose. Getting them all uploaded is tedious, though.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:42 am

Azhrei Vep wrote:
Mikel wrote:It's also possible to cut up images and put them in as cards in Roll20. I've used that for Montsegur 1244.

Yeah, I've known someone who did that for Monsterhearts, to give our NPC cast pictures. I've been slowly building up a collection for the same purpose. Getting them all uploaded is tedious, though.

There's a possibility I gave that person the files for that. Years ago, I collected a bunch for that purpose and for the game.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Thu May 21, 2020 1:29 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Mikel wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:I really wish more people would realise how difficult it can be for everyone else in the game when they choose to play the silent contemplative type, even though they as players may be quite capable of taking a more active role.

:agree:

It can be a problem for someone to be too Alpha Playery, but when you've got a group just waiting to be lead by the nose, I lose interest.

I have an Invisible Sun campaign I'm running that had 2 players and one of them never made a decision. Brought another friend in, who's amazingly proactive, and it improved things immeasurably to have two people who were pushing for things for their character to do.

Yeah as a GM I would rather have too many proactive players any day of the weak, because it's pretty easy to hem them by just abiding the rules of the system and the logic of the story. As someone who isn't particularly outgoing but is so thoroughly comfortable and confident in a TTRPG setting that I can easily take the reigns of the party it feels like many players gravitation towards waiting for the game to be spoon fed to them limits the types of characters I can play, and occasionally it's bad enough that I feel like a second GM or like I'm playing a lone-wolf games and just indirectly controlling the reset of the party who are just there to very occasionally interact with the RP and roll dice.

It doesn't actually bug me *that* much, but it does bug me.

I'm feeling like this in both of the PBP games I'm playing in here on the forum. In both games I'm the only player who is playing an "active" type. It's like I'm in two solo games and it just gets tiring.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Return to “Role Playing Games”