Random RPG thoughts

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Re: Random RPG thoughts

Postby Leoff » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:47 am

zircher wrote:
Or, if you want to totally flip the idea on its head, the GM always describes your dark/emotional impulses and when they say, "Do it.", you have to roll to resist. Not everyone's cup of tea, but there are players that enjoy the misery/karma game whether it is played for laughs or drama.

I like sweetness-and light gameplay, but this and its variants I like. If Riding Hood never strays off the path there's no story. Challenging your character's darkness and weakness makes for more realistic in-character thoughts, and a deeper story line.

xsgtdanusmc
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby xsgtdanusmc » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:25 am

Timespike wrote:We don't have a thread for this? :wtf:

Anyway - I picked Night's Black Agents up a little while ago and I'm really liking the look of the GUMSHOE system so far. Anyone around here have experience running or playing it? What did you think?

If you are running an investigative game with average players verse the supernatural, it is great. I have flirted with Mutant City Blues for a supers/police procedural game. It is too street level for me as far as powers go. For the con games I am running I want more action potential for the BBBF. I modified Savage Worlds and got that effect.

If you want a vampire investigation game, the Night's Black Agents skin of Gumshoe will work. Stone, cold, simple mechanics. The story never bogs down to a missed investigations/perception roll.
Dir hat man wohl ins Gehirn geschissen und vergessen umzurühren.

"I can eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and defecate a better argument."
-Unknown

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:11 pm

Anyone ever have to alter their character's personality to fill a roleplay role the party needed? Like a confrontation averse or quiet character having to be more confident and outgoing because you as a player are the only one in the group who's comfortable enough with roleplaying to take the lead?
Have you found the yellow sign?

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:51 pm

tombombodil wrote:Anyone ever have to alter their character's personality to fill a roleplay role the party needed? Like a confrontation averse or quiet character having to be more confident and outgoing because you as a player are the only one in the group who's comfortable enough with roleplaying to take the lead?

Absolutely... my current PC was originally designed with a laid-back surfer vibe. Supremely self-confident, not bothered by events, hard to shock. But the party is just so passive. They will (unhappily) sit there for two hours debating the right course of action. So I have modified my PC's personalty. Kept the self-confidence but shifted to make him a bit more Type A. And it's worked. The party knows they have twenty to thirty minutes to debate. If they haven't come to a decision, Wally will act.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:20 pm

Ikoma wrote:
tombombodil wrote:Anyone ever have to alter their character's personality to fill a roleplay role the party needed? Like a confrontation averse or quiet character having to be more confident and outgoing because you as a player are the only one in the group who's comfortable enough with roleplaying to take the lead?

Absolutely... my current PC was originally designed with a laid-back surfer vibe. Supremely self-confident, not bothered by events, hard to shock. But the party is just so passive. They will (unhappily) sit there for two hours debating the right course of action. So I have modified my PC's personalty. Kept the self-confidence but shifted to make him a bit more Type A. And it's worked. The party knows they have twenty to thirty minutes to debate. If they haven't come to a decision, Wally will act.

I haven't played in many games in my life (I was the only one of my friends who wanted to run Call of Cthulhu in Jr high and I haven't stopped since), but I'm in a couple now due to the pandemic, and I really had to put on my Alpha-player hat, which as a career GM wasn't too hard, but I did have to totally abandon my idea for my character's personality.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:36 am

I really wish more people would realise how difficult it can be for everyone else in the game when they choose to play the silent contemplative type, even though they as players may be quite capable of taking a more active role. I more naturally tend to play alpha types anyway, but even then it can be so hard when you get to feel you're the only one actually in the game, driving everything. I totally understand that some players are shrinking violets who find that level of interaction challenging. But when they don't suffer from that issue, but still choose not to get involved, that is annoying.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:38 am

Our group strives for shared spotlight time, but even then it can be a challenge.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:43 am

Lord Foul wrote:I really wish more people would realise how difficult it can be for everyone else in the game when they choose to play the silent contemplative type, even though they as players may be quite capable of taking a more active role. I more naturally tend to play alpha types anyway, but even then it can be so hard when you get to feel you're the only one actually in the game, driving everything. I totally understand that some players are shrinking violets who find that level of interaction challenging. But when they don't suffer from that issue, but still choose not to get involved, that is annoying.

Amen, it's my single biggest pet peeve among PC personality type creation. To the point where it's a red flag for me. But I think it's got some pretty complex reasons behind it.

Sometimes, it's a function of a newer player feeling a little overwhelmed with choice and pulling back into a shell. One of the guys in my current campaign is like that. This is the first campaign he's ever played in that got above level 10 (D&D 5e) and the bonkersness of it all has him a little gun-shy. We run into avatars of gods on regular basis. Last session, we found an Ur-scroll with the power to reshape reality (a bit) and had to decide if the costs to use it worth the benefit. He had no idea how to even frame that kind of meta-physical conversation about a fictional realm.

Other times, it's a function of prior GM abuse. You know, the player who only creates PCs who are orphans with no friends so the GM cannot punish them for having attachment points? Or the GM who makes a point of making the party choose which passage of the temple of doom they go down so the GM can unleash the inescapable death trap of damnation and the GM can say it was 'because you choose the right passage' and shrug. Do that kind of thing too often and you get players who don't want to make choices. And I get it. Most often, the GM *thinks* they have left enough clues that the players should have figured out that the 'smooth grooves in the floor' or some other such Holmesian level deduction tidbit mean [ A ] when in reality, no player who cannot see into the GM's head and see the full picture the GM is seeing would know enough to figure it out.

And sometimes, it's just that the player is shy and quiet and has trouble pushing themselves out there. So I try not to get too bothered when a player does it. If I'm also a player, I'll step up and mitigate it. Last session, I could see the writing on the wall so I gave the party 20 minutes. If they came to a decision, Wally would abide. But Wally thought we should read the ur-scoll, consequences be damned. And it they didn't come to a decision soon, Wally would read it. Wally did read. Now we have a cool encounter to deal with! And the story moved forward. If I'm a GM, I find a timer can be helpful... or adding another monster mini to the table if the party is (OOC) taking too much time to debate in combat strategy or something similar.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:50 am

Lord Foul wrote:I really wish more people would realise how difficult it can be for everyone else in the game when they choose to play the silent contemplative type, even though they as players may be quite capable of taking a more active role.

:agree:

It can be a problem for someone to be too Alpha Playery, but when you've got a group just waiting to be lead by the nose, I lose interest.

I have an Invisible Sun campaign I'm running that had 2 players and one of them never made a decision. Brought another friend in, who's amazingly proactive, and it improved things immeasurably to have two people who were pushing for things for their character to do.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:16 pm

Mikel wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:I really wish more people would realise how difficult it can be for everyone else in the game when they choose to play the silent contemplative type, even though they as players may be quite capable of taking a more active role.

:agree:

It can be a problem for someone to be too Alpha Playery, but when you've got a group just waiting to be lead by the nose, I lose interest.

I have an Invisible Sun campaign I'm running that had 2 players and one of them never made a decision. Brought another friend in, who's amazingly proactive, and it improved things immeasurably to have two people who were pushing for things for their character to do.

Yeah as a GM I would rather have too many proactive players any day of the weak, because it's pretty easy to hem them by just abiding the rules of the system and the logic of the story. As someone who isn't particularly outgoing but is so thoroughly comfortable and confident in a TTRPG setting that I can easily take the reigns of the party it feels like many players gravitation towards waiting for the game to be spoon fed to them limits the types of characters I can play, and occasionally it's bad enough that I feel like a second GM or like I'm playing a lone-wolf games and just indirectly controlling the reset of the party who are just there to very occasionally interact with the RP and roll dice.

It doesn't actually bug me *that* much, but it does bug me.

Return to “Role Playing Games”