Random RPG thoughts

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Random RPG thoughts

Postby tombombodil » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Ikoma wrote:Spent last evening at the local FLGS playing a little league Blood Bowl. While doing so, I was observing a young couple at the table next to me. They were being walked through D&D 5e character creation by a man who appeared to be a friend of both of them. They clearly had been exposed to Critical Role (lingo used, some references for races/classes/spells). By the time my game was done, their DM had showed up and they were playing their very first game. It warmed this ol' greybeard's heart.
I had a similar moment a while ago where I was in the school library and a group of freshman looking kids were playing DnD in one of the reservable study rooms. I was like "Godspeed Young Ones".

Lord Foul complained about my phones automatic sig so I changed it. - Sent from jizzmop 4040 using bollocks
Have you found the yellow sign?

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:46 pm

I have my game idea for CanGames. The theme this year is clockwork.
I love playing Clue.
I like D&D Clue.
So the players are told that their characters have taken refuge in this old mansion one dark night, and they wake up -- or dream they wake up -- as the characters from the D&D manual: Regdar, Tordek, etc. They can hear each other speak, but are all in far corners of the mansion, and somehow they know that one of them is doomed to fall victim, in one of the rooms of the mansion, by one of six weapons. Can they find who it will be, and get there in time to foil the unseen and unknown villain?
There are already monsters in the mansion, and every ten minutes, on the clock, I will release another.
I think this game of Clue might last longer than the usual half-hour.

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:07 am

Leoff wrote:I have my game idea for CanGames. The theme this year is clockwork.
I love playing Clue.
I like D&D Clue.
So the players are told that their characters have taken refuge in this old mansion one dark night, and they wake up -- or dream they wake up -- as the characters from the D&D manual: Regdar, Tordek, etc. They can hear each other speak, but are all in far corners of the mansion, and somehow they know that one of them is doomed to fall victim, in one of the rooms of the mansion, by one of six weapons. Can they find who it will be, and get there in time to foil the unseen and unknown villain?
There are already monsters in the mansion, and every ten minutes, on the clock, I will release another.
I think this game of Clue might last longer than the usual half-hour.

That's pretty awesome. I want to play.

Have you tried Betrayal at Baldur's Gate?

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:27 am

No,I haven't. I remember the name but don't know anything about it.

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:17 am

Leoff wrote:No,I haven't. I remember the name but don't know anything about it.

It's a Forgotten Realms re-skin of Betrayal at the House on the Hill.

Basically players explore Baldur's Gate as famous Forgotten Realm's characters by drawing tiles at random and placing them on the table, giving them encounters. Eventually a tile draw triggers one of 30 or so end-game scenarios which usually involve one of the players betraying everyone else and playing against them for the rest of the game.

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:54 pm

I'm altering the design of the custom character sheet for my overhauled version of Revised d20 Star Wars, and I had a couple of thoughts about what I was doing.

Me, the Game Designer: You know, the players will be rather concerned about the direction you plan to take your next campaign when they see what you've deemed necessary to include on this page.

Also me, the Game Master:

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:48 am

My players are headed to Neverwinter in FR. I'm having a hard time coming up with interesting city encounters that i can use as side quests.

Does anyone have any fantasy city encounters they've used in the past that have worked out for them?

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:12 am

Wihzerd wrote:I'm altering the design of the custom character sheet for my overhauled version of Revised d20 Star Wars, and I had a couple of thoughts about what I was doing.

Me, the Game Designer: You know, the players will be rather concerned about the direction you plan to take your next campaign when they see what you've deemed necessary to include on this page.

Also me, the Game Master:

I'm altering the design of the custom character sheet. Pray I do not alter it further.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:37 pm

Glenn wrote:My players are headed to Neverwinter in FR. I'm having a hard time coming up with interesting city encounters that i can use as side quests.

Does anyone have any fantasy city encounters they've used in the past that have worked out for them?

Check out Keith Curtis' thread on ideas for his new city-based campaign. It's in here somewhere (bottom of page 6 of this forum).
"...with frikin' lasers!"

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:06 pm

Burning wrote:
Wihzerd wrote:Also me, the Game Master:

I'm altering the design of the custom character sheet. Pray I do not alter it further.

LOLz, well played.

While I know Wihzerd said d20, but looking at "Do it." and I am so reminded of the Powered by the Apocalypse mantra of "What do you do?" I can totally see tweaking PbtA so that "Do it." is what the game master says and you don't roll for success (you're all big damned heroes and villains), it usually happens. What you roll for are consequences. The bigger the move the more severe are the consequences for failure or the chance of collateral damage.

Or, if you want to totally flip the idea on its head, the GM always describes your dark/emotional impulses and when they say, "Do it.", you have to roll to resist. Not everyone's cup of tea, but there are players that enjoy the misery/karma game whether it is played for laughs or drama.

Return to “Role Playing Games”