Random RPG thoughts

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Random RPG thoughts

Postby Ikoma » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:23 am

Thought I would post an update on the scheduling issues regarding my game. Turns out I had a solution, I just was so locked into old ways of planning I didn't think of it. We are going to resuscitate the game this Saturday and have a regular ongoing schedule where NO player gets completely cut out (but at least one will miss each session). We are going to a 11/10 day schedule. Game on Saturday. Next session is 11 days later on a Wednesday. Next session is 10 days later on a Saturday. And so on... My son will miss every other session. One other player will also have to miss every other session. But no one gets cut.

I thought about going twice a week but I just don't have the time/energy to be prepped for a new session every three to four days. Same problem with the add another game idea. I need at least a week. Now I have a week and a half... Anyway, we'll see how it goes. <fingers crossed>
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Lord Foul
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Postby Lord Foul » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:57 pm

Sounds like a decent compromise solution. :thumbup:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:10 pm

I will say that one thing running straight modules has enabled me to do on occasion is, during the age of Covid I actually have been running more games than ever online, and if im GMing multiple games a week having one of them be 80% "out of a bottle" makes it way easier on me in terms of prep time.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon May 03, 2021 8:20 pm

OK... I need your combined wisdom to help me solve a problem. My current game is very much an ad-libbed Chad kinda game. I know who the big bad guys are. The Fey. I wanted to let my players find a weapon to help them when it finally comes time to face the Three Queens and the Ford Lords of the Season. I just didn't know what that weapon WAS.

Well, as a consequence of their last adventure, a high ranking cleric whom they saved from Headless Jack gave them a clue to *where* the weapon is found. I had the bright idea to run them through a dungeon *inside* a dormant tarrasque. I tricked them to get them inside. It's been fun and very gross, oozes and parasites galore. Everyone loves it.

Well, today I had the brilliant idea that the weapon can literally be the stomach acid of the tarrasque. I figured, a tarrasque eats a LOT of adventurers when it's on a rampage. That means a lot of magic items in the gut. What if the tarrasque's stomach acid has a permanent antimagic property that let's it digest even magic items. And I figure my party can come up with *something* to make out of the stomach acid. Some kind of primitive grenade that creates and antimagic field that brings these CR 20 bad guys down to a level where even a lower level NPC could help fight them. PLUS... they cannot just use their planar shift kind of abilities to get away. I know this is something the party is already worried about this since they have seen the Lord of Spring and the Lady of Autumn just peace in and out when they want to.

What I need to figure out is how to key the party in on the acid being THE weapon. I have an idea for letting them know it's an antimagic field[1]. But how do I let them know this is THE weapon they are hunting for. Normally, I would let them miss it and just make up another weapon in another location. But the cleric told them this is the place to find it. He's a good NPC and I want the party to keep trusting him so this tip needs to pan out. Ideas? Help me!

[1] The party will have to face an immune response of some very minor inflammatory cells. They will be easy to defeat, even without magic, but it tells the party that the stomach is an antimagic zone. FYI... this is also gonna set up the big fight for when the players try to *leave* the body and face not just inflammatory cells, but killer cells and even a macrophage or two.

Lord Foul
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Postby Lord Foul » Tue May 04, 2021 6:04 am

You could have some of the more powerful defensive cells use the stomach acid as a weapon against the party, with not only the normal acid gruesome "my face is dissolving!" kind of things but also "none of my magic is working!" :o

Of course, you may need to give them some leeway on innovative ideas for antacid remedies, but beyond that they really ought to be able to figure it out for themselves. After all, they have been told the weapon is here, and they know the major strength of their enemy is magic. It's not that much of a stretch!

I think you are worrying too much about them not figuring it out. Do they not have divination magic? :whistle:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue May 04, 2021 10:10 am

Lord Foul wrote:I think you are worrying too much about them not figuring it out. Do they not have divination magic? :whistle:

That is almost certainly what will happen now that you mention it. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I like they idea that the finish exploring the inside of the beast and don't find any glowing super-sword (or other such macguffin) and have to start thinking 'what did we find?'

John
Host

Postby John » Tue May 04, 2021 10:43 am

You could legit take some inspiration from Earthshaker! if you wanted. It's Zeb Cook's 80s take on an adventure in something huge's body.

We mocked it mercilessly but I've run it and it was great.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue May 04, 2021 5:32 pm

I've run a dungeon that was a giant golem. It wasn't too gimmicky, just the map flipped to be almost like a 2d platformer after they got to the head and it woke up.

And then they had to descend down the same map to the heart to stop it before it reached a town. It was a good reveal and didn't add a ton of gimmicky rules.

Just shifted the map in a way that was cool and changed the challenge.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Fri May 07, 2021 7:10 am

tombombodil wrote:I've run a dungeon that was a giant golem. It wasn't too gimmicky, just the map flipped to be almost like a 2d platformer after they got to the head and it woke up.

And then they had to descend down the same map to the heart to stop it before it reached a town. It was a good reveal and didn't add a ton of gimmicky rules.

Just shifted the map in a way that was cool and changed the challenge.

I'm stealing this. Thank you

Ever play Breath of Fire 1? it has a dungeon that your inside a giant stone robot. Except you take control of it to break a dam.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon May 17, 2021 12:31 pm

Lord Foul, you will happy to know you were 100% right. They figured it out all on their own. Now they are actively trying to figure out how to safely go back in and harvest a lot of the stomach acid. (I scared the ever loving crap out of them with the beasts immune system. The steadily increasing and never ending torrent of white blood cells, killer cells, and macrophages ran them out with nothing more a single vial of the stomach acid they ended up using for testing. While each cell is only a minor threat, (and the white cells do nothing more than just call for the big boys), the killer cells and macrophages are nasty when they outnumber you. There is even some awesome PC talk about how to create a safe anti-magic stomach acid 'mine' out of the beast.

Now I just have to figure out when the beast will finally wake up. At the worst possible moment, obviously...

Return to “Role Playing Games”