On death in RPGs

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
Argentum
Pat's Knob Polisher

Re: On death in RPGs

Postby Argentum » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:32 pm

Back in the day I played a malkavian in a vampire game who went catatonic whenever violence occurred around him. Of course this also triggered whatever the "make other people go crazy around you" vampiric abilities he had so it wasn't like he was actually useless in combat.

BottledViolence
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby BottledViolence » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:36 am

It sounds like an attempt to take the fun out of the game.

Different people play games for different reasons. That is going in a direction that sounds about as fun as watching paint dry. :lol:

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:41 am

Like I said, murder hobo campaigns are fine, if that's what you're into, but they bore me to tears.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:46 am

Have you seen the RPG Carry? Your group makes a unit in the Vietnam War and it's all about dealing with all things emotional. It's one-shots only and is supposed to be pretty intense.
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:46 am

Oddly enough, I'm currently running a game on roll20 (Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok) that is not only very violent (Vikings during Ragnarok), it actually encourages player death.

Players have a level that is separate from their characters and it depends on how many of their characters have died and gone to Valhalla or Muselphim. When you character goes down in glory, is given an appropriate burial, with an Angel of Death (priestess) there, and the other players both tell tales about what great deeds the player accomplished and if they sacrifice their most valuable items, the player has an increasing chance of their character being taken up.

You can eventually play that character again, as they come from either realm back to Midgard in preparation for the End Times.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:47 am

Gyro LC wrote:Have you seen the RPG Carry? Your group makes a unit in the Vietnam War and it's all about dealing with all things emotional. It's one-shots only and is supposed to be pretty intense.

I have Carry, though I haven't run it yet. It looks really cool.

It and Grey Ranks do some interesting things with the emotional impact of War.

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Mikel wrote:Like I said, murder hobo campaigns are fine, if that's what you're into, but they bore me to tears.

Define "murder hobo" campaigns.

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:49 pm

Kill things. Take stuff.

In general, a campaign in which combat is emphasized and the major way in which problems are dealt with is through death.

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Mikel wrote:Kill things. Take stuff.

In general, a campaign in which combat is emphasized and the major way in which problems are dealt with is through death.

So it's just a disparaging term for combat heavy games? Seems to cover a lot of ground.

The biggest problem I see with trying to "emulate how difficult it is for most people to kill or to live with the consequences" is that it covers a wide range of ground. Most games already have consequences for killing (Why I think the "murder hobo" label is so absurd), this is emphasizing the emotional baggage.

What is the setting? Are you going to overlay modern morals and attitudes onto a very different setting? A Japanese soldier in WW2 is going to have a very different reaction to shooting an American soldier than the reaction of a police officer who mistakenly shoots a child. That also is going to be a very different game. Adding emotional baggage is hardly anything new or unusual, it's a cliche that gets used in a lot of character concepts. I think the difference is how much wanking you want to do about it and how much of a focus you want it to have in your game. I don't really think of it as something you add to your game as much as something you have as a result of playing a very specific type of game.

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:59 pm

My definition of "murder hobo" is more specific than "combat heavy." A murder hobo is a transient who goes from place to place killing things for treasure. They don't have a home, they live on the road. When it's used as a derogatory term for an adventurer it's to denote that the above is the maximum depth to the character. That's not to say being a murder hobo is bad (I just think it's a fun term). A classic character like Conan is a classic murder hobo, with the added depth.
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

Return to “Role Playing Games”