The Big Friendly List of RPG rules with links and stuff...

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
Agemegos
BABUSHKA!

Re: The Big Friendly List of RPG rules with links and stuff.

Postby Agemegos » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:22 am

Chivalry & Sorcery A famously unplayable (some critics charged that even character generation was impossible as written) mediaeval-Europe fantasy RPG. Designed by Ed Simbalist and Wilf Backhaus. Published by Fantasy Games Unlimited in 1977 (2nd ed. 1983). Complicated, ill-organised, and inconsistent, it nevertheless got as far as a 3rd (Highlander Designs, 1996) and even 4th (Brittannia Games, 2000) edition.

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:43 pm

Stars without Number has already been listed, but I was pointed to this nice review...

--
TAZ

Remainaery
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Remainaery » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:52 am

Some more to throw in here...

Agone: A fantasy game in a Baroque setting of french origin, with 5 core products translated into English. I believe it's now out of print and no longer supported. The books are still around in various places though.

Dragon Warriors: A british 'traditional' fantasygame of class-based adventuring against a medieval backdrop, originally published in the 80s. Saw pretty stylish re-editions in the last couple of years. Like AD&D, it uses a plethora of dice and not much of a central core mechanic, but more of a hodge-podge of subsystems. If you're looking for a "retro/oldschool" game that is not a d20 or a D&D retro clone, this might be for you.
http://serpentking.com/?page_id=153

HeroWars/HeroQuest: Originally written for the fantasyworld Glorantha (of Runequest fame) this game of epic fantasy written by Robin D. Laws is currently available in a generic/settingfree 2nd edition. It uses a traits-from-writeup-based character creation and a d20 conflict resolution mechanic with the goal of emulating storybeats rather than simulate reality.
http://moondesignpublications.com/produ ... core-rules

Tri-Stat dX: Published by Guardians of Order in 2003, now sadly defunct, but while it lastet it was a free, highly customizable generic system that even let you chose what kind of dice you wanted to use depending on your genre and setting choices. It evolved out of the Big Eyes Small Mouth, so if you are familiar with that, you have an idea about Tri-Stat.
Since the rules document was available for free, chances are you may still find it out there somewhere, and I assume some stores will still carry a couple of print issues.

EDIT:
No Runequest
Maybe they're out of circulation. I am rather old, you know.

Concerning Runequest, on the contrary. Technically there's still 2 contemporary Runequests around:

RuneQuest (6): Currently in 6th Edition (June 2012) and published by The Design Mechanism.
I don't know whether or not this is based off the Mongoose Edition of RuneQuest (2007-2011) or one of the prior editions. The Runequest-line is kinda confusing past 3rd Edition.

and then technically there's
Legend: By Mongoose Publishing and based off Mongoose's RuneQuest II (which would have been..... RuneQuest 5.5...?). I believe it is a generic system and not tied to the gaming world of Glorantha (since Issaries and Mongoose parted ways), but in essence it should still use the same mechanics as Mongoose-Runequest.
Best part of having a creative job: When I read a comic, and someone asks what I'm doing, I get to say "Studying."
deviantArt; art plug on the forums

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:50 am

zircher wrote:Stars without Number has already been listed, but I was pointed to this nice review...

--
TAZ

That review hurt the chances of me buying the game. I've listened to TTS MP3s that were't that monotone and monotonousness.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

martian_god
Chad is a Contrarian

Postby martian_god » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:27 pm

Big Mutherf$#in' Crab Truckers - Big Mutherf$#in' Crab Truckers is a role-playing game about big motherf$#king crabs. Or crab-people. Some s*&t like that. Anyway, they're real f$#kin' big. We're talking as big as a big mutherf$#kin' trucker, maybe 300 lbs, but square, with beady fu$#in' eyes, 8 legs and a pair of pincers as heavy as a bag of f$#kin' plutonium clawhammmers. Yeah, that f$#kin' big.
And they truck. Yeah, they drive s*&t across the desert to please their Mutherf$#kin' Crab Goddess. And they truck in heavy, chromed trucks with lots of f$#kin' wheels, rasping engines and big ol' cabs. The sorts of cabs that could fit 300 lbs square, heavy set, big mutherf$#kin' crabs in it. And they are in the s*&t.

Sea Dracula - Animal City is a magical town full of hardworking talking animals with crazy names and silly opinions. The city is famous for it’s nonsensical legal system, where the lawyers are responsible not just for prosecuting cases but also for fighting monsters and throwing parties. This was the legendary legal system pioneered by that great giraffe lawyer, Sea Dracula. The proud traditions of the Animal City legal system have been handed down from generation to generation, slowly losing their meaning and becoming strange and obscure. Don’t mistake the ways of this legal system for those of your own! The lawyers of Animal City strive only to win! All other considerations, even the welfare of their clients and the sanctity of the law, are secondary. They dance the dance of the animal lawyers, and mere mortals such as us can only stand back and watch in awe and terror!
--------

Madness takes its toll.
Speedpass accepted.

specialagent

Postby specialagent » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Blazing Rose is a game about several friends who have all fallen in love with the same person! You tell the story of these Rivals, and find out which of them wins the affection of their Beloved in the end. What schemes will they devise, what stunts will they undertake, to stand out from the crowd and win the love they seek? And what happens to those who strive, but suffer rejection? Can friendship survive a competition with such stakes as these? Blazing Rose is a collaborative storytelling game for three to six players.
http://www.lulu.com/shop/edward-sabe-jones/blazing-rose-a-story-game-of-romantic-rivalry-ashcan-edition/paperback/product-4639945.html;jsessionid=E627E7C28BBDA78E1F585F8CE5DE4938

Now, this was a game that I was made privy to by the Walking Eye podcast - they have an actual play up for listening. The site says that this isn't the final product, but seeing as how the author hasn't updated his site in a whole year, it's unlikely it will come out with a final draft.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:13 pm

specialagent wrote:Blazing Rose is a game about several friends who have all fallen in love with the same person! You tell the story of these Rivals, and find out which of them wins the affection of their Beloved in the end. What schemes will they devise, what stunts will they undertake, to stand out from the crowd and win the love they seek? And what happens to those who strive, but suffer rejection? Can friendship survive a competition with such stakes as these? Blazing Rose is a collaborative storytelling game for three to six players.
http://www.lulu.com/shop/edward-sabe-jones/blazing-rose-a-story-game-of-romantic-rivalry-ashcan-edition/paperback/product-4639945.html;jsessionid=E627E7C28BBDA78E1F585F8CE5DE4938

Now, this was a game that I was made privy to by the Walking Eye podcast - they have an actual play up for listening. The site says that this isn't the final product, but seeing as how the author hasn't updated his site in a whole year, it's unlikely it will come out with a final draft.

This sounds pretty interesting. What is the game play like?

specialagent

Postby specialagent » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:45 am

It's been a while since I listened to the recorded session but I think it was highly reminiscent of Fiasco, where it's a DM-less system. The players start off with creating the "setting" for the game. They could choose between things like whether the game would be 'Comedic or Dramatic,' or whether the Rivals will be 'Friendly of Confrontational' towards each other. The Rivals have advantages and disadvantages that hinder and help their relation with the Beloved. Now what I don't remember is how scenes and stuff were resolved. I'd recommend listening to the session, it was a funny listen.
http://www.thewalkingeye.com/?p=503

Edit: Of course, this is after I get to the point in the podcasts where I learn that Chad doesn't listen to podcasts. Sorry about that.

specialagent

Postby specialagent » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:29 pm

Dungeon World is the game that I wanted Dungeons and Dragons to be when I first got into this hobby. It's got that old-school fantasy feel with some interesting narrative features. ...I sound like a marketing agent. You roll 2d6 plus attribute modifiers as a resolution mechanic, and it's pretty easy to DM for. They have the game out in pdf form, but the books are slated to come out soon.

Isilith
BABUSHKA!

Postby Isilith » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:23 am

Stormbringer, medium crunch and a wide ( but fairly confined to those roles ) assortment of archetypes.

Return to “Role Playing Games”