Ask a Host

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: Ask a Host

Postby GinDragon » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:40 am

Well, if you ever want to go to a fishing lodge, my father runs one just north of Yellowknife (just a jump, skip, and a hop for you)

Chris
Host

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:00 pm

Gonna keep that in mind. I don't fish (can't eat them - allergic), but I like scenery
The Adventures of Young & Holt - A Deadlands: Reloaded Actual Play podcast

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:23 am

Chris

Did you have any issues with the earthquake? Was that anywhere near you?
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Chris
Host

Postby Chris » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:34 pm

clintmemo wrote:Chris

Did you have any issues with the earthquake? Was that anywhere near you?

Oh yes. So very much yes.

#Storytime

I had arrived at work, and was in the process of unpacking my bag. I had felt very small tremors before, and when this one started, it felt that way, for about a second, then it escalated VERY quickly. It felt at the time, like I was in a snow globe held by an angry child. Shit was moving, coming off the walls.

I braced myself in my office doorframe (which, in retrospect, I should not have done), and rode it out. Seemed like forever, but it was :30 or so.

After it was done, alarms were going off. Checked on the only other person in my area at the time. We were both okay, so we grabbed essential shit (wallet, cell phone, and for some ridiculous reason, my protein shake, which I had held the entire time) made our way out, stepping over ceiling tiles and brackets the whole way. Everyone else was also exiting.

Made contact with my son, who was at our apartment (fun fact, in situations like these, text communication is more efficient than calling). Messaged my family.

From there, we all assessed everything in the mid-20 degree weather. There was a decent sized aftershock a couple minutes later. Saw visible shaking of the large glass windows of our building.

We then had an "informal" going back into the building to grab more stuff. So about 50 people rushed in, grabbed more essential shit (for me - jacket, car keys, work notebook, and other items in my backpack and got the fuck out).

I live about 3 miles from work, but when the tsunami warning hit, my son (who is 24 and has high functioning aspbergers) started to freak out. What normally takes me 10 minutes, took 30 because of power outages and HEAVY traffic. But picked him up, he was fine, and then we spent the day together while he helped me do work stuff related to helping our News staff).

On that tsunami warning... learned later that Anchorage is basically immune to them due to the surrounding geography. It was a warning for another part of the state.

Since then, we are back in our building, but there was been some good damage, and we have limited access. Our apartment building suffered zero damage.

What, for me, has been the worst part are the aftershocks. With the earthquake, it's bad, but then it's over. With the aftershocks, you are in a mode of trying to relax and calm down, and then suddenly, RUMBLE RUMBLE, and you're right back to where you started.... plus, you know they are coming, so it makes it doubly hard to relax. We even had one yesterday that was about 4.6.

All total, so far, there have been over 2200 aftershocks of varying degrees.

This was my first experience with a quake. Life sure is interesting.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:10 pm

:shock:

I'm glad you're OK.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:58 pm

Yeah man, I get air and water moving. Fire is dangerous. But if the earth ever started to really move under me, I don't know if my brain could handle that.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chris
Host

Postby Chris » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:21 pm

Ikoma wrote:Yeah man, I get air and water moving. Fire is dangerous. But if the earth ever started to really move under me, I don't know if my brain could handle that.

It's funny you mention that. When I was talking to my wife and others about it, I tried to explain that when you are in a severe weather situation or some other sort of "bad" thing, there is always this unconscious sense of the solid earth under your feet, so in a way, without realizing it, you still feel grounded during that stress.

Ain't that way in an earthquake, which makes it that much more unnerving. I'm usually pretty decent at compartmentalizing things so I can keep functioning, but when it came to this, I simply could not.

That first night, I had to sleep in my clothes, to be ready just in case.

I have a newfound respect for any Cali booters who have had to deal with this.

PsionicRanger
I am the story stick

Postby PsionicRanger » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:38 pm

So...Fear the Con 2019?
A Mindflayer is a terrible thing to waste.

JediMike
Learn2ChadStyle

Postby JediMike » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:04 am

PsionicRanger wrote:So...Fear the Con 2019?

Seconded :deadhorse:
House Kurita Mechwarriors do not appreciate posters of Godzilla taped over their optical sensors.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:05 pm

<tongue firmly in cheek>

So... when can we expect the Fear the Boot OnlyFans?

</tongue firmly in cheek>
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Fear the Boot”