Ask a Host

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
Triggerhappy938
NZB Leftenant

Re: Ask a Host

Postby Triggerhappy938 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:06 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Chad wrote:
It's true there used to be more lively discussions but there used to be more outright fighting too.

It's been a while since we had a good shitstorm.

YOU PLAY RPGS BAD WRONG!
avocationalacademics.wordpress.com
Dan wrote:John Wells will probably kill you

VaMinion
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby VaMinion » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:54 pm

Triggerhappy938 wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
Chad wrote:
It's true there used to be more lively discussions but there used to be more outright fighting too.

It's been a while since we had a good shitstorm.

YOU PLAY RPGS BAD WRONG!

I could go post a screed about Dungeon World. That's sure to draw someone out. :lol:

Bobicus
'something' per Dan's request

Postby Bobicus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:05 pm

Wayne wrote:Maybe it's time to take a look back at least once a night and see what's up around here.

The upside to the slowness of the forums is that a regular check to see if there have been any updates wouldn't take that long. :D

Unrelated question: I think I've listened to every episode, and there's a story that has been alluded to several times, but never explained on air. It's probably not a story that makes for an entertaining podcast, but it certainly makes me curious as hell whenever it gets mentioned as an aside on an episode. Brodeur's wife Memoree was shot at some point?!? Maybe I lead a sheltered life, but I know zero people who have even been witness to a shooting injury, so this is pretty interesting to me. I recognize this may not be a funny, happy story and we don't have any "right" to know, but I can't be the only listener who's curious.

Other unrelated comment: About an hour ago, LastJedi4Patrick posted on Facebook that Pat got to see Ep8 with his family. I'm so grateful the Roper family got to have that experience together, and I'm super thankful to everyone who helped make that happen.
Last edited by Bobicus on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devoted father, strategy gamer, and mechanical engineer.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:57 am

Bobicus wrote:
Wayne wrote:Maybe it's time to take a look back at least once a night and see what's up around here.

The upside to the slowness of the forums is that a regular check to see if there have been any updates wouldn't take that long. :D

Unrelated question: I think I've listened to every episode, and there's a story that has been alluded to several times, but never explained on air. It's probably not a story that makes for an entertaining podcast, but it certainly makes me curious as hell whenever it gets mentioned as an aside on an episode. Brodeur's wife Memory was shot at some point?!? Maybe I lead a sheltered life, but I know zero people who have even been witness to a shooting injury, so this is pretty interesting to me. I recognize this may not be a funny, happy story and we don't have any "right" to know, but I can't be the only listener who's curious.

Other unrelated comment: About an hour ago, LastJedi4Patrick posted on Facebook that Pat got to see Ep8 with his family. I'm so grateful the Roper family got to have that experience together, and I'm super thankful to everyone who helped make that happen.

Has that story really never been told on mics? I though it was on a bonus episode at some point. This is an amazing and terrifying story and if it hasn't then it needs to be told on mics. She survived being shot 6 times at very short range and he was there to come out and see the aftermath.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

John
Host

Postby John » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:19 am

It's definitely been told on the mics. I know it was at Dan's old house, I'm pretty sure it was during the last time I lived in St. Louis (2/15 to 11/16). I was on it. Maybe a negative episode

VaMinion
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby VaMinion » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:04 pm

John wrote:It's definitely been told on the mics. I know it was at Dan's old house, I'm pretty sure it was during the last time I lived in St. Louis (2/15 to 11/16). I was on it. Maybe a negative episode

I think negative. I don't remember hearing it and I usually listen to bonus episodes.

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:24 pm

John wrote:It's definitely been told on the mics. I know it was at Dan's old house, I'm pretty sure it was during the last time I lived in St. Louis (2/15 to 11/16). I was on it. Maybe a negative episode

Pretty sure it was after May 2016 because Chad told me about it in person before I heard about it on the podcast.
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

Bobicus
'something' per Dan's request

Postby Bobicus » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Just listened to -9996 with Dan, John, Chad, and Brodeur, and it sounds a like maybe y'all talked about it beforehand, but no dice. -9995 has Dan, Wayne, Brodeur, and talked mostly about little people and panhandling. I'll keep double-checking...
Devoted father, strategy gamer, and mechanical engineer.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:46 am

We recorded it as a bonus and it didn't turn out very well so we got rid of it. If we feel like we can get a decent ep out this we will but with everything going on right now it's going to be awhile before we talk about this on the mics.

Young_0ne2
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby Young_0ne2 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:28 pm

my own curiosity and the hosts choice of wording has brought me to this question:

What other podcast do you listen to and why?

I'm genuinely interested to know how much the Booters overlap in interest & I'm looking to add some interesting perspectives to my weekly podcasting routine, and maybe add some to yours.

My list ( In no particular Order ;) )

Fear The Boot
I enjoy the different opinions and perspectives on gaming, game concepts, game theory, and feeling of realism that comes with the various conversations. It's great having a few ideas and then finding out that Chad or Dan share the opinion but John or Broduer can add a different perspective to the idea, and then Wayne of Joulia can give examples of a 3rd perspective i never thought of. It's a great gold mine for ANY RPG player.

FtB: Skies of Glass AP
Fantastic story, great characters, awesome well thought out world. The amount of love and care that goes into the game from Dans side of things is matched, if not exceeded ( slightly) by an equally great set of players. Whats not to love?

FtB: The Adventures of Young & Holt AP
Fun Western adventure in the Dead Lands RPG, with interesting characters, surprisingly fun/mysterious adventure, and great storytelling from Chris. Also interesting to get a perspective of a system that I have not played before, but have been interested in exploring.

FtB: The Iron Blood Dwarves AP
Another interesting AP from another interesting individual. Have been interested in 5th ed.(as i've only "played" a play test of the system) so to have an AP done with the system caught my attention. The characters are interesting,reinforced by those playing them, and the story that is developing is rather interesting. Fun seeing the FtB host & crew playing different roles and characters. Also great to see the players and the sessions in play Vie Twitch & Youtube. ( i also made the map that John through up on the Twitch & youtube videos :D)

Gaming & BS
A fun podcast with Wisconsin flavor that covers a wide range of RPG subjects, host that love their community like a mother loves their newborn, and Good inclusion of their fans in to each show. Good at not BSing the subjects they cover Brett and Sean bring 2 different and interesting perspectives to their subjects.

Hobbs & Friends of the OSR
Jason Hobbs, A.K.A. Scott Hubs, brings the old school back to the spotlight with his views on the OSR. Jason manages to bring a wide range of co-host on to the show every week that either grew up playing the old school games, or have had their hands in the creation of the games. I was interested in the OSR and all that it covered and H&F do a great job at educating those, like me, who didnt grow up with these games, what made them so awesome.

Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff
The Neil DeGrasse Tyson & Bill Nye The Science Guy of Gaming. The sheer amount of information that they cover, both gaming and none, is staggering and brilliant. I find myself writing down ideas from every show i listen to. Their knowledge about the subjects they cover and the vast subjects they cover are great for anyone interested in a more spicy gaming and regular life.

Talking Tabletop
Jim McClure talks tabletop games with a wide range of individuals in the gaming industry. Great to see what those in the gaming industry think, feel, and enjoy about gaming and how they got to where they are. Satanic Panic is an interesting addition to Jims gaming career and It was interesting to follow the project. Wish he'd come Back, though i understand life is chaotic.

Building the Game
Rob & Jason bring their industry knowledge of table top board games to the listeners. Both have successfully kickstarted board games and they bring their knowledge of the life of a game, from idea, to story shelves, to their listeners. Typically a lot of BSing along with the show, covering Media, to craft Beers, to obscure Sodas. Every EP ends with them "Practicing The Pitch" where one of them pitches a game idea and they work through the idea togethe, to come to a somewhat solid, sellable, game idea. (usually).
Great podcast for those interested in designing their own games and interested in what hoops one will have to jump through.

Dead Games Society
Chad reviews games that are no longer inprint but are still loved by many. He usually has host that either helped develop the game in question, weather that be the rules, the art, Etc. and he does a nice overview of the games life. Kind of like a History Class but instead of learning about World War 2, you Learn about Bunnies & Burrows from the teacher and the creature. Really interesting to see where some games came from and the ideas that lead to newer editions!

Misdirected Mark: The City of Avalon AP
A Great AP about the City of Avalon, a setting being published by Misdirected Mark Productions ( dont quote me on that ) Designed by Brett B From Gaming and BS. Great Characters and a great story left me wanting to come back every week! Great editing from Chris of Misdirected Mark gave the AP a nice touch and feel.

Misdirected Mark: Bone, Stone, and Obsidian
A Podcast about Dark Sun, something i knew little about and have been genuinely interested in. Only 3 episodes long at the moment, it is interesting to see them break down everything in the setting of Dark Sun and compare it to other systems.

Happy Jacks RPG
Someone's got to support Dans Staff.
Honestly though, another great couple of guys with a great perspective on gaming subjects and all that they do.

King Falls AM
Not a gaming Podcast, but still good. A great podcast that is a radio drama about 2 AM radio host, Sammy & Ben, and all the strange stuff that happens in their little town of King Falls. A little slow at the start of things, King Falls AM tells a great story about a mysterious little town with paranormal events, secret political organisations, a town wide conspiracy involving the towns elite, and an ever present dark shadowed threat that is gaining more and more power leave the listeners wanting more. Throw together a colorful Broduer-esl cast of characters, Two Pines, and a dash of Steven King & H.P. Lovecraft, and you have a GREAT show with a great story!

Welcome to Night Vale
Stay away from Wheat and Wheat-by-products!
Welcome to Night Vale brings a GREAT amount of Weird, Mysterious, other worldly feel to your life. A great cast of characters, a FANTASTIC Host, (Cecil Balwdin), and just bucket loads of the right kind of odd make this podcast fantastic. The podcast tells the day and lives of the residents of Night Vale and the story of the Town itself in a way that most other shows dont. Easily gamified and interesting in so many ways i just cant do it justice. Recently signed a contract to develop the podcast into a TV show on FX, EXCITEMENT and ANTICIPATION ARE overloading me!

So what are some of your guys's ?

Return to “Fear the Boot”