Ask a Host

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
Glenn
I am the story stick

Re: Ask a Host

Postby Glenn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:32 pm

I find that podcasts help take my mind off of menial tasks in ways that music just can’t. I can’t hardly mow the yard without one.

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Glenn wrote:I find that podcasts help take my mind off of menial tasks in ways that music just can’t. I can’t hardly mow the yard without one.

Agreed. I must have podcasts or audiobooks when traveling solo for any significant amount of time.

Young_0ne2
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby Young_0ne2 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:02 pm

That map was so great we left it up in the middle of the screen for the entire game after you made it. Thanks again!

It was my pleasure! i was over joyed you guys actually liked it.

clintmemo
Curses, foiled again by multiple tabs

Postby clintmemo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:11 pm

I find that I want to be less stimulated as I get older. I generally only listen to podcasts while I am driving, doing housework or walking at work (around parking lot). When I walk in my neighborhood, with or without the dogs, I've taken to not listening to anything. Letting my mind just wander once a day has been very helpful.

My podcast feed is filling up faster than I can listen to it. I dropped Nightvale many months ago and I have not listened to any other fiction podcasts in at least a year or two. I used to listen to 4 or 5 of them. I should stop pretending and unsubscribe.
The biggest problem is with actual plays. I binged the first several episodes of "Critical Role" while I was also listening to SOG, but I had to just stop after the first story arc. I skipped the rest of it and started the second campaign last week just so I could keep it in a regular rotation.
I've also been enjoying The Adventures of Young and Holt and thank you, Chris for editing these down to one hour blocks. (That would never work for SOG. Almost every episode seems to end with a big cliff hanger or reveal.)
I have not watched the other FTB AP (Sorry, John). Is there an audio version of it or is the video that central to it?

Last week was extra tough because the day before the latest SOG episode dropped, a new episode of Hardcore History dropped. I actually had to stop HH to listen to SOG and then switch back to it. I've never done that to HH before.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:21 pm

My mind is a dangerous thing to let wander. It goes places it shouldn't and as such if I am doing something like driving, shopping, walking, or anything that doesn't take brain power I have to do a podcast or book to keep my mind engaged and not wondering into territory that will lead down the path of panic attack. I used to listen to music or enjoy quiet, but I can't risk it anymore.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:53 pm

I did a lousy job of announcing roll results Clint. There were some best practices I didn't get at all this time around so it probably wouldn't hold up very well audio only.

Oh well. Learning experience! If/when we do a second arc I will keep in mind to narrate such that you don't need the video/chat window to get it.

Azhrei Vep
Player Possessed NPC

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:16 am

John wrote:I did a lousy job of announcing roll results Clint. There were some best practices I didn't get at all this time around so it probably wouldn't hold up very well audio only.

Oh well. Learning experience! If/when we do a second arc I will keep in mind to narrate such that you don't need the video/chat window to get it.

Ehhhh... I listened to the whole thing in a tab while playing mindlessly cathartic video games. I still have no idea what George or Miranda look like, and it was pretty entertaining most of the time.

Roll results in particular aren't a particularly interesting or entertaining element of an AP anyway, although I could see how someone trying to get a feel for/learn rules for a game through APs*.

*Something our GM does, to my bafflement, given how awful most APs are about completely screwing up rules, even when they're actually bothering to try to follow them.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Chris
Host

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:39 am

clintmemo wrote:I've also been enjoying The Adventures of Young and Holt and thank you, Chris for editing these down to one hour blocks.

Thank you, and you're welcome. I'm happier with them being shorter as well. And considering how this group hasn't been able to get together for over a month, it's been a boon to stay regular with episodes.
Gamers Behaving Badly - Doing it wrong, so you don't have to

Chris
Host

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:40 am

Azhrei Vep wrote: given how awful most APs are about completely screwing up rules, even when they're actually bothering to try to follow them.

Guilty. I've done this more than thrice.
Gamers Behaving Badly - Doing it wrong, so you don't have to

Return to “Fear the Boot”