Episode 554-Part 1 mini arguments

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Episode 554-Part 1 mini arguments

Postby Ikoma » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:57 am

One of the best token ideas I have ever taken is buying some education supplies that had a whole batch of 1" squares with a whole variety of numbers and letters on them. I think the original purpose was to help kids learn their letters/number and maybe some basic spelling/math. But they would great for assigning a letter to each PC and numbers to hordes of enemies. i.e. I attack gnoll #4 standing on the left side of the pillar. They fit in small container and you don't have to plan too much ahead. It doesn't address BIG creates that should realistically take up more space but I have placed on a token on a cardboard cutout.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Episode 554 & 555 mini arguments

Postby Ikoma » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:15 am

I'm just going to continue the discussion here now that Part 2 is out.

I think the simplest way to sum up my feelings on the topic of minis it to say that minis are a seperate creative form than RPGs (or even board or wargames[1]). Separate but complementary. There are people who do minis for their own sake, the way people paint or sculpt. There are people who don't, and that's cool. Minis DO add to an RPG experience. If I could snap my fingers[2] and put a complete mini 'experience' on any RPG table, that RPG experience would be (I think) objectively better. But those costs[2] are not avoidable. So the benefits don't always outweigh the costs.

But man, I :love: a well painted mini.

[1] Yes, people can and have played wargames with little cardboard chits.

[2] Avoiding all the costs: cash, time, effort, practice, talent, equipment, space, organization, etc.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:31 pm

Ikoma wrote:If I could snap my fingers[2] and put a complete mini 'experience' on any RPG table, that RPG experience would be (I think) objectively better.
I ... defintely disagree with that. Almost every time I've seen minis used in a game it's actively detracted from the experience. And usually the use slowly tapered off until it went away entirely.

The only exception that comes to mind is the time someone got and painted herself a mini for a game where they never actually got _used._ She just sat it there in front of her all proud-like for a few weeks and was happy it existed.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:48 am

Azhrei Vep wrote:
Ikoma wrote:If I could snap my fingers[2] and put a complete mini 'experience' on any RPG table, that RPG experience would be (I think) objectively better.
I ... defintely disagree with that. Almost every time I've seen minis used in a game it's actively detracted from the experience. And usually the use slowly tapered off until it went away entirely.

And here we have a perfect demonstration of the underlying truth of the matter...

...it really all depends on the type of game you play.

Some games focus more on things like tactics and combat, and here the addition of a visual simulation of the scene can really help everyone to understand how all the features, the party, other creatures, the terrain around them, interact with each other.

Other games focus more on the narrative, character interactions, broad strategy more than battle tactics; in short, a more fluid interpretation of any scene. Here the spoken narrative is the main thing that provides the visualisation, and the details filled in by each participant's imagination can all come together to add flavour and feel to the scene.

Try doing the former type of game without miniatures and the game will tend to suffer for it. Try adding miniatures to the latter style of game and the game will tend to suffer for it.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Yeah, to be clear, the main point I object to above is 'objectively'. It's super subjective.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:55 pm

That's true. I am probably in real danger of making a 'Real Scotsman' fallacy in my definition of "complete mini 'experience' ".

Return to “Fear the Boot”