Episode 550

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
John
Host

Episode 550

Postby John » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:00 pm

True Dungeon has been debased. At no one point did they say "ok everyone, we are going to double the ticket price, increase party size by 50%, and cut the time of the rooms by a third". But in the course of 10+ years of saying "hey a little adjustment in our favor won't change anything" over and over and over again it's at the point where the monster isn't the monster. The monster is "how fast does the room DM run the fight, because we auto-lose if we haven't won yet by the time the buzzer goes off".

I appreciate the production value but the last time my group went was in 2018. At that point IIRC it was almost $600 for a group of ten to play a couple of games of frantically rushed haunted house shuffleboard and solve a couple of D&D escape room puzzles. It was barely more entertaining than playing a good board game in a hotel lobby, and for that kind of money we could have gone wild at Mikado or the JW the whole time.

Chad
Host

Re: Episode 550

Postby Chad » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:14 pm

Agreed, I'm glad I did it once just to experience it but to be honest it wasn't much fun. Almost everyone I was with except me had dumped large wads of cash on it so expectations were different. I was going in to hang with my buds, experience this new and different thing (for me anyway). My friends were there (understandably) to slit throats, take names, and win. I felt like the guy who showed up for a beer league golf game and got paired with Tiger Woods and it was actually the PGA.

Seeing as how much it costs, how hard it was to get in, and how difficult was to advance, and how it was almost impossible to actually win I can understand that you need to go in with your war face on and not treat it like it's open lane night a the bowling alley.

I don't think escape rooms were a thing when I did TD but having done an escape room I think I can make a pro/con list comparing the two concepts with the pros on the escape room side burying the pros on the TD side.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:01 pm

John wrote:True Dungeon has been debased. At no one point did they say "ok everyone, we are going to double the ticket price, increase party size by 50%, and cut the time of the rooms by a third". But in the course of 10+ years of saying "hey a little adjustment in our favor won't change anything" over and over and over again it's at the point where the monster isn't the monster. The monster is "how fast does the room DM run the fight, because we auto-lose if we haven't won yet by the time the buzzer goes off".

Sounds like they have taken their business model from the cable TV industry. :D
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

John
Host

Postby John » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:05 pm

Yeah that's another thing. If you have a team where half the people are approaching it like a live action gacha game where the entire point is to maximize loot token draws, and half the people are approaching it like a wacky haunted house where you're there to take in the scenery and goof off with the actors, everyone's going to be miserable.

Return to “Fear the Boot”