Episode:543 - West Marches

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
Despayre40
Spambot?

Episode:543 - West Marches

Postby Despayre40 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:03 pm

First, guys, thank you a ton for keeping up a regular schedule in these trying times.
Listening to the episode, I felt while getting a lot spot on you may have missed some of the concepts I have come to associate with the "West Marches" style. Not for me to explain, but here is a link to the first of 4 web pages that might pass along some different/further understanding to the purposes and benefits of the style.

http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/7 ... t-marches/

You guys may have read this already, but i thought I might pass along the source with which I started.

Thanks again,
John

Glenn
I am the story stick

Re: Episode:543 - West Marches

Postby Glenn » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:09 am

It seems like maybe you guys latched on to a few things that aren't really there in what was linked above in the original WM idea.

Adding multiple GMs really complicates things and forces a lot more talk and prep work.

The FtB hosts like story driven games and WM seems more like just a list of areas that the GM preps ahead of time but may or may not deal with a PCs story.

What i like about it is that it forces the players to communicate with each other about setting up a game time and how many PCs they can get for a session. But i don't know how well it all works with multi session scenarios. I have very few games where everything is wrapped up all nice and neat at the end of a session.
Last edited by Glenn on Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:10 am

Glenn wrote:I have very few games where everything is wrapped up all nice and neat at the end of a session.

Same. Like, last session of the entire campaign arc very-few. And not even all of those.

That would be my biggest challenge running one of these. Ending every session status-quo-ante plus some loot and XP.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:26 am

John wrote:
Glenn wrote:I have very few games where everything is wrapped up all nice and neat at the end of a session.

Same. Like, last session of the entire campaign arc very-few. And not even all of those.

That would be my biggest challenge running one of these. Ending every session status-quo-ante plus some loot and XP.

I think that could work well in a Star Trek kind of game (like Gamers Table is running), in a D&D game ehhhh... not so much. Sounds like it would devolve into door kicking loot and scoots.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:03 am

Despayre40 wrote:First, guys, thank you a ton for keeping up a regular schedule in these trying times.
Listening to the episode, I felt while getting a lot spot on you may have missed some of the concepts I have come to associate with the "West Marches" style. Not for me to explain, but here is a link to the first of 4 web pages that might pass along some different/further understanding to the purposes and benefits of the style.

http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/7 ... t-marches/

You guys may have read this already, but i thought I might pass along the source with which I started.

Thanks again,
John

:thumbup:

I know most people don't check the show notes but we put that URL in there. I don't think we called it out in the show.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:07 pm

Glenn wrote:It seems like maybe you guys latched on to a few things that are really there in what was linked above in the original WM idea.

Adding multiple GMs really complicates things and forces a lot more talk and prep work.

The FtB hosts like story driven games and WM seems more like just a list of areas that the GM preps ahead of time but may or may not deal with a PCs story.

What i like about it is that it forces the players to communicate with each other about setting up a game time and how many PCs they can get for a session. But i don't know how well it all works with multi session scenarios. I have very few games where everything is wrapped up all nice and neat at the end of a session.

One of my favorite GM tools is the cliffhanger. This method of play robs me of that.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:14 pm

Wayne wrote:
Glenn wrote:It seems like maybe you guys latched on to a few things that are really there in what was linked above in the original WM idea.

One of my favorite GM tools is the cliffhanger. This method of play robs me of that.

We ran what we called the "pass the trash" game a few years ago where we rotated GMs every other session. One GM would routinely set up a cliffhanger for the next GM to resolve.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:39 pm

Wayne wrote:

The West Marches concept seems odd to me. I question why would people even want to do this. A lot of answers I get are about people not being able to make all of the games, irregular schedules, etc.

All of those are problems I would try and solve individually before I made such a huge conceptual change in the way I game.

With that said, I get that sometimes those problems are insurmountable, so I am glad that concepts like West March styles exist. Also, me not liking it is just a me thing, I can't see anything fundamentally wrong with it, I mean it's not Rifts!

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:24 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Wayne wrote:

We ran what we called the "pass the trash" game a few years ago where we rotated GMs every other session. One GM would routinely set up a cliffhanger for the next GM to resolve.

We have done that with revolving GM games. It is kinda fun. Cliffhangers though need the same players and characters to have impact and relevance.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:29 pm

Chad wrote:
Wayne wrote:

The West Marches concept seems odd to me. I question why would people even want to do this. A lot of answers I get are about people not being able to make all of the games, irregular schedules, etc.

All of those are problems I would try and solve individually before I made such a huge conceptual change in the way I game.

With that said, I get that sometimes those problems are insurmountable, so I am glad that concepts like West March styles exist. Also, me not liking it is just a me thing, I can't see anything fundamentally wrong with it, I mean it's not Rifts!

I have been thinking about it from a comic book standpoint. In big ensemble books you don't have everyone go on every mission. Same for anime where there are large casts certain arcs will involve only certain characters. From a story standpoint it makes a lot of sense. From a game standpoint it doesn't click as well for me. I do like the idea of a large group of people and someone get's bored on a Tuesday and says "Hey I'm running tonight. If you are free bring your character and jump on." Kinda like a heist movie or any story really where you put together a team for a job out of people you know. Seems like it would be a much lighter type of gameplay.

Return to “Fear the Boot”