Eouside 549: To splat or not, part 3

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Eouside 549: To splat or not, part 3

Postby Mikel » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:36 pm

I missed most of what Wayne was saying because when he was answering Dan, I just kept saying "Yep. Yep. Yep."

Everything about the pitch Dan had for his character was a red flag for me.

Bringing in a character from your own campaign because you want to explore their culture means a pretty high chance of the GM "not getting it right", which I think happened with one character in a Dresden Files campaign. If the player has an absolute idea of what the culture, etc. is supposed to be and won't let the GM alter or change that (or fights them when it comes up), you have a character who shouldn't be a PC.

Going way over the tech level to have a lot of power and then saying, "a villain at my powerlevel. These other PCs will still have stuff they need to do" centers the campaign with that character as the center and everyone else as sidekicks.

Everytime Dale made compromises, all I saw was a game pretty much doomed to failure.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: Eouside 549: To splat or not, part 3

Postby clintmemo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:23 pm

Mikel wrote:I missed most of what Wayne was saying because when he was answering Dan, I just kept saying "Yep. Yep. Yep."

Everything about the pitch Dan had for his character was a red flag for me.

Bringing in a character from your own campaign because you want to explore their culture means a pretty high chance of the GM "not getting it right", which I think happened with one character in a Dresden Files campaign. If the player has an absolute idea of what the culture, etc. is supposed to be and won't let the GM alter or change that (or fights them when it comes up), you have a character who shouldn't be a PC.

Going way over the tech level to have a lot of power and then saying, "a villain at my powerlevel. These other PCs will still have stuff they need to do" centers the campaign with that character as the center and everyone else as sidekicks.

Everytime Dale made compromises, all I saw was a game pretty much doomed to failure.

The only way I would allow Superman in my street level game is either
"I used to be Superman but now I am only Clark Kent, normal human."
or
"I can only be Superman for one encounter or one 1 minute per day or something equally limiting."
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

VaMinion
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby VaMinion » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:45 pm

I didn't have a problem with Dan's pitch. But I was agreeing with Chad for most of that conversation. Age is a number. I wouldn't use diseases normally. We can negotiate the power level of the gun and the power armor. This all assumes I trust the player who's pitching the idea.
Cursing is like a spice. And sometimes you're making thai.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:02 pm

Eouside 549? :eh:

Episode 540; it's not even close
"...with frikin' lasers!"

shadesofeternity
'something' per Dan's request

Postby shadesofeternity » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:00 pm

I'll be blunt.

If somebody asked to play unicron, I'd say now build the autobot/decepticon you are going to play to possess, no additional powers if it is a thematic thing, and get ready to convince the players to buy in and how he'd work with the party.

btw what would your transformers pc dream team?

Return to “Fear the Boot”