Episode 539 - to splat or not, part 2

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
Garoath
BABUSHKA!

Episode 539 - to splat or not, part 2

Postby Garoath » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:08 pm

This was a great episode. There was one thing that Chad said that really resonate with me. He mentioned the fact that Burning Wheel was a real indy darling at one point but seems to have disappeared. Well, that's pretty much true. For whatever reason Luke Crane doesn't really distribute Burning Wheel digitally, and only occasionally reprints the current edition in small batches. There are burning wheel derivatives like MouseGuard and Torch Bearer that are fairly easy to obtain either in print or digitally, but even those games don't seem to have a huge following.

Compare that to things like Apocalypse World which has a million hacks.

This got me thinking, what makes a game really catch on and influence and inspire people? Is it simply an accessibility issue?

Chad
Host

Re: Episode 539 - to splat or not, part 2

Postby Chad » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:53 am

Garoath wrote:This was a great episode. There was one thing that Chad said that really resonate with me. He mentioned the fact that Burning Wheel was a real indy darling at one point but seems to have disappeared. Well, that's pretty much true. For whatever reason Luke Crane doesn't really distribute Burning Wheel digitally, and only occasionally reprints the current edition in small batches. There are burning wheel derivatives like MouseGuard and Torch Bearer that are fairly easy to obtain either in print or digitally, but even those games don't seem to have a huge following.

Compare that to things like Apocalypse World which has a million hacks.

This got me thinking, what makes a game really catch on and influence and inspire people? Is it simply an accessibility issue?

It's like fire. Long, smoldering burns last a long time (like Traveler the like) or great wild fires that spread and spread (like Apocalypse World or Fate or Savage Worlds with all of their remixes) but stuff like Burning Wheel it flares up with great intensity and then dies out just as quickly.

People can only stand a certain level of hype and ubiquity for so long before the next thing catches their eye.

VaMinion
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby VaMinion » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:07 am

Garoath wrote:This got me thinking, what makes a game really catch on and influence and inspire people? Is it simply an accessibility issue?

Accessibility, timing, hackability, and whether or not it's open for third party development.
Cursing is like a spice. And sometimes you're making thai.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:20 pm

VaMinion wrote:
Garoath wrote:This got me thinking, what makes a game really catch on and influence and inspire people? Is it simply an accessibility issue?

Accessibility, timing, hackability, and whether or not it's open for third party development.

it also helps if it is fun to play. :P
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Return to “Fear the Boot”