Bonus Episode 85 - Soup and Loot

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
StrobeSML
BABUSHKA!
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Bonus Episode 85 - Soup and Loot

Postby StrobeSML » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:37 am

I was listening to the discussion of food and, while we've done soup night at our table, we've also done barbecue nights. Hot dogs and burgers are normally on the list. However, a couple of times, I spent some time on the smoker and smoked some ribs.

I don't recommend ribs (or wings) for gaming. You pretty much have to stop the game because you don't want to touch the dice, character sheets, etc. with barbecue sauce covered fingers. Pit beef or pork, put on buns, is better.

One of the more successful ones, though, was when I smoked some salmon. I got some pita chip, topped it with whipped cream cheese and a little of the salmon and it was eaten up through the evening. These were a favorite at another game at our local game store, too.

User avatar
Wayne
Host
Posts: 8197
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Bonus Episode 85 - Soup and Loot

Postby Wayne » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:40 am

StrobeSML wrote:I was listening to the discussion of food and, while we've done soup night at our table, we've also done barbecue nights. Hot dogs and burgers are normally on the list. However, a couple of times, I spent some time on the smoker and smoked some ribs.

I don't recommend ribs (or wings) for gaming. You pretty much have to stop the game because you don't want to touch the dice, character sheets, etc. with barbecue sauce covered fingers. Pit beef or pork, put on buns, is better.

One of the more successful ones, though, was when I smoked some salmon. I got some pita chip, topped it with whipped cream cheese and a little of the salmon and it was eaten up through the evening. These were a favorite at another game at our local game store, too.


We haven't done that in quite a while. Pat had a nice gas grill. I'm not sure fi Chad even has a grill. I love my smoker, but it certainly isn't portable to take over. I live close enough I could potentially smoke something and run home to get it. I wouldn't do Ribs or Brisket because they take more attention, but I could do most other things.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

User avatar
Laura
Host
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:48 pm

Re: Bonus Episode 85 - Soup and Loot

Postby Laura » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:47 am

The smoked salmon idea sounds amazing.

User avatar
Caleb
Audio Engineer
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:41 am
Contact:

Re: Bonus Episode 85 - Soup and Loot

Postby Caleb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:25 pm

Everyone just pitches in and hires a chef. Problem solved.
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat
Never drive a car when you're dead
~ Tom Waits

User avatar
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title
Posts: 22734
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:38 am
Location: Louisville KY
Contact:

Re: Bonus Episode 85 - Soup and Loot

Postby clintmemo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:29 pm

Caleb wrote:Everyone just pitches in and hires a chef. Problem solved.



D&D Dinner Theater.
You go to a nice specialized gaming space where you are treated to a nice meal and a one-shot complete with props, music, special effects, actors as NPC's.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

User avatar
Caleb
Audio Engineer
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:41 am
Contact:

Re: Bonus Episode 85 - Soup and Loot

Postby Caleb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:34 pm

There are a few games that are run like that at GenCon. Props and food were part of the flow of the game, seamlessly brought in and fit the theme of the events that were occurring. Closest thing to LARPing that I will do anymore. I could be persuaded if the PC's/ NPC's were filled with people I trusted.
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat
Never drive a car when you're dead
~ Tom Waits

User avatar
Laura
Host
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:48 pm

Re: Bonus Episode 85 - Soup and Loot

Postby Laura » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:36 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Caleb wrote:Everyone just pitches in and hires a chef. Problem solved.



D&D Dinner Theater.
You go to a nice specialized gaming space where you are treated to a nice meal and a one-shot complete with props, music, special effects, actors as NPC's.


I could absolutely get on board with that.

User avatar
GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer
Posts: 1884
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:43 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Re: Bonus Episode 85 - Soup and Loot

Postby GinDragon » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:54 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Caleb wrote:Everyone just pitches in and hires a chef. Problem solved.



D&D Dinner Theater.
You go to a nice specialized gaming space where you are treated to a nice meal and a one-shot complete with props, music, special effects, actors as NPC's.

Not related to food, but once I went to a D&D themed play locally, that was actually an improv show. They pulled one person from the audience to be a character in the play and adjusted the show based on their actions. It was super fun to watch!

User avatar
John
Host
Posts: 4846
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:20 am

Re: Bonus Episode 85 - Soup and Loot

Postby John » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:54 am

GinDragon wrote:Not related to food, but once I went to a D&D themed play locally, that was actually an improv show. They pulled one person from the audience to be a character in the play and adjusted the show based on their actions. It was super fun to watch!


STL's main improv theater does this too.

User avatar
GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer
Posts: 1884
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:43 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Re: Bonus Episode 85 - Soup and Loot

Postby GinDragon » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:05 pm

John wrote:
GinDragon wrote:Not related to food, but once I went to a D&D themed play locally, that was actually an improv show. They pulled one person from the audience to be a character in the play and adjusted the show based on their actions. It was super fun to watch!


STL's main improv theater does this too.

It was neat, and had some small star power because Mark Meer played the bad guy.


Return to “Fear the Boot”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron