Bonus Episode 84

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Bonus Episode 84

Postby Ikoma » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:40 pm

Wayne wrote:
Ikoma wrote:
To a degree, Martin Scorsese is making a similar argument to Dan's. Movies are more than just Marvel (or Disney if you want to go even bigger). There are people who only go see Disney movies. And that's ok. Doesn't mean I cannot enjoy non-Disney movies AND enjoy Disney movies. Doesn't mean I cannot patiently and repeatedly try to introduce people to other great filmmakers, styles, genres, etc. Same thing applies to D&D and RPGs.

Oh his argument is FAR more elitist and dismissive than that. Scorsese makes movies I don't want to watch so I don't exactly hold his opinion in high regard, but the things he has said dismissing Marvel movies I find to be the worst kind of elitism.

Agreed. Scorsese is making the most elitist version of this argument. IF Dan were making the same argument, he would say something like, "D&D is not a real role playing game like... Rifts." Dan did not say that. Dan just said, "D&D is not the only role playing game."

I kinda want to draw some venn diagrams but I will refrain... :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:30 am

I can barely get my players to read the player's handbook. Much less learn a completely new system. So its easier just to stick with DnD 5th edition.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:15 am

Glenn wrote:I can barely get my players to read the player's handbook. Much less learn a completely new system. So its easier just to stick with DnD 5th edition.

On the other hand, if they aren't gong to bother to learn 5e's rules, then it makes no difference if you switch the game to Traveller, does it? ;)

I finally got my players to try something new by pitching the genre and setting, no the game system itself. "Wouldn't it be great to run a game set in the future, with robots and spaceships and lasers?"
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:53 am

clintmemo wrote:
Glenn wrote:I can barely get my players to read the player's handbook. Much less learn a completely new system. So its easier just to stick with DnD 5th edition.

On the other hand, if they aren't gong to bother to learn 5e's rules, then it makes no difference if you switch the game to Traveller, does it? ;)

I finally got my players to try something new by pitching the genre and setting, no the game system itself. "Wouldn't it be great to run a game set in the future, with robots and spaceships and lasers?"

I would love to run a sci fi game. I would miss my ability to improv a fantasy setting. I just don't know that many different science fiction ideas to come up with stuff on the fly.

Even after reading a traveller novel and looking at some source books i still don't have a feel for the tech level of the setting.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:40 am

Lord Foul wrote:You know, whether intended or not, the subtext I'm getting from this (not having heard the episode yet) is that the FtB crowd are STILL HATING ON D&D.

Jeez, guys, get over it! :roll:

Do you really want that kind of a reputation? :eh:

I love 5th Ed so much I bought a D&D tee shirt for the 1st time in my life. I really love 5th ed.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:11 am

Chad wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:You know, whether intended or not, the subtext I'm getting from this (not having heard the episode yet) is that the FtB crowd are STILL HATING ON D&D.

Jeez, guys, get over it! :roll:

Do you really want that kind of a reputation? :eh:

I love 5th Ed so much I bought a D&D tee shirt for the 1st time in my life. I really love 5th ed.

Sounds like someone needs to re-photoshop that picture of you holding a Rift's book - two copies. ;)
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Also, if you get the chance, the Book of Vile Darkness movie is in the so-bad-it’s-good camp. It really looks like a groups first Evil PCs game in how pointlessly malevolent everyone is.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:04 pm

Spammy V wrote:Also, if you get the chance, the Book of Vile Darkness movie is in the so-bad-it’s-good camp. It really looks like a groups first Evil PCs game in how pointlessly malevolent everyone is.

That's the third official D&D movie, right? Yeah, it's awful.

turk128
BABUSHKA!

Postby turk128 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:48 am

I think a much better comparison: pro wrestling.

Ask the general populace about pro wrestling and the answer would be WWF/WWE.

It's particularly pertinent nowadays because there are fervent fans of other wrestling companies. WWF also comes with a lot of baggage and their own version of D&D 5E.

Seriously, now that I'm thinking it through more, D&D and WWF is way too eerily similar.

Aisha
Audio Engineer

Postby Aisha » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:47 pm

My biggest complaint is that in searching for character art, 2/3 of the results seem to be CR characters, especially if you search for goblins or, even more so, tieflings.
"Hexalicious" is not an appropriate flavor designator.

Return to “Fear the Boot”