Bonus Episode 84

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: Bonus Episode 84

Postby clintmemo » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:21 am

Wayne wrote:

This topic was more a case of telling people that you play role-playing games and them replying oh you play D&D.

I had this argument 25 years ago - with my wife.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:41 am

Azhrei Vep wrote:As someone who only in the last couple of months learned that Critical Roll even existed, and that only because ... four? ish? people were cranky about them playing a game made by Wendy's, this episode was kind of baffling. Is it really that big a deal?

Yes... and no. Critical Role (as a YouTube channel) has almost a million subscribers. Their campaign videos get 500k views the week they go up and usually get near 3m views by the end. You can can do a Google search on the "Matt Mercer effect" and get a list of videos and articles about GMs dealing with the fact that their players expect a game like the one they see on Critical Role. Critical Role raised over $11,000,000 (16x what they asked for) in a kickstarter to create a professionally animated special adapting their game. They now have a two season (12 episodes per season) deal with Amazon Prime as a result. If you game around a FLGS, you will encounter players who discovered D&D... and the RPG hobby... through Critical Role. Matt Mercer now has written supplements for D&D proper. A custom class he designed for Critical Role is available in DnDBeyond.

But they a not all of the hobby. If you were gaming before 2012 (the year they started), you might never have even heard of them and they could have no impact on your life and game. They got super popular about 2015. So if you ever add a new player who recently joined the hobby, you will encounter Critical Role. If you are sticking to your old group, it will have no impact. And Critical Role is just the tip of this Twitch/YouTube D&D boom...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:34 am

Ikoma wrote:
Azhrei Vep wrote:As someone who only in the last couple of months learned that Critical Roll even existed, and that only because ... four? ish? people were cranky about them playing a game made by Wendy's, this episode was kind of baffling. Is it really that big a deal?

Yes... and no. Critical Role (as a YouTube channel) has almost a million subscribers. Their campaign videos get 500k views the week they go up and usually get near 3m views by the end. You can can do a Google search on the "Matt Mercer effect" and get a list of videos and articles about GMs dealing with the fact that their players expect a game like the one they see on Critical Role. Critical Role raised over $11,000,000 (16x what they asked for) in a kickstarter to create a professionally animated special adapting their game. They now have a two season (12 episodes per season) deal with Amazon Prime as a result. If you game around a FLGS, you will encounter players who discovered D&D... and the RPG hobby... through Critical Role. Matt Mercer now has written supplements for D&D proper. A custom class he designed for Critical Role is available in DnDBeyond.

But they a not all of the hobby. If you were gaming before 2012 (the year they started), you might never have even heard of them and they could have no impact on your life and game. They got super popular about 2015. So if you ever add a new player who recently joined the hobby, you will encounter Critical Role. If you are sticking to your old group, it will have no impact. And Critical Role is just the tip of this Twitch/YouTube D&D boom...

Ha ha! Defied! Half of my group got started in late 2017. I'm the only person who'd even heard of CR until I asked them about it.

But ... yeah, I can see how that would get really annoying for people. Unless those people work for WotC. They love those guys.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:56 am

Ikoma wrote:

Yes... and no. Critical Role (as a YouTube channel) has almost a million subscribers. Their campaign videos get 500k views the week they go up and usually get near 3m views by the end.

I listened to the first arc of the first season as a podcast and never knew there was video to any of it. I stopped simply because, at 4 hours an episode, I was never going to have time to finish it.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:28 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:Is it really that big a deal?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That's for getting it right and not sticking in a spurious "of".

Are you sure you're not British? :eh:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:55 pm

Lord Foul wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Saying "Big a deal" sounds like something someone with a thick southern US accent would say.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:56 pm

Being big into hobby board gaming you have to deal with a similar thing. Only its "oh you play board games?" "why do you still play Monopoly and Risk?"

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Glenn wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:

Saying "Big a deal" sounds like something someone with a thick southern US accent would say.

It's pretty weird to hear 'thick southern accent' associated with good grammar.

The accent's not very thick, anyway. I grew up on too much TV, it's watered down my accent significantly compared to the people around me.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

shadesofeternity
'something' per Dan's request

Postby shadesofeternity » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:42 pm

Alrighty

When has Dungeons and Dragons not been the big game?

The 80's with world of darkness?
The late 2000's with pathfinder?

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:54 pm

shadesofeternity wrote:Alrighty

When has Dungeons and Dragons not been the big game?

The 80's with world of darkness?
The late 2000's with pathfinder?

Neither. D&D has always been the big game. But apart from right at the very beginning it has never been the only game.

Honestly, there really isn't anything to get worked up about. D&D started it and has remained the big player in the hobby. But anyone who thinks there's only D&D just doesn't know anything about the hobby. So how about politely and enthusiastically informing them of all the other things they are missing instead of berating them for their ignorance?
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Return to “Fear the Boot”