Bonus Episode 83

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
Greatwyrm
Teller of gaming stories

Re: Bonus Episode 83

Postby Greatwyrm » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:04 pm

It's always fun to finally track down one of those "white whale" items. There's a book my wife remembers from her childhood that I've never even been able to find proof was published. Been hunting that one for 25 years.
"So you stab the guard. Are you using 'Assassin Strike' or 'Light Blades'?"
"No, I'm gonna open with 'Sociopath'."

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:14 am

Greatwyrm wrote:It's always fun to finally track down one of those "white whale" items. There's a book my wife remembers from her childhood that I've never even been able to find proof was published. Been hunting that one for 25 years.

What are the details?
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:28 am

I have one of those!

Unfortunately it was a generic fantasy novel I read as a kid that I either lent out or lost, and don't remember the name of, so there's almost zero chance I'll ever find it, considering there are thousands of them.

Greatwyrm
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Greatwyrm » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:45 pm

Wayne wrote:
Greatwyrm wrote:It's always fun to finally track down one of those "white whale" items. There's a book my wife remembers from her childhood that I've never even been able to find proof was published. Been hunting that one for 25 years.

What are the details?

Not much, I'm afraid. It was a kids' book about different kinds of families. When my wife was a little girl, she sent in an essay and they included it in the book.

The publisher was The Flying Pencil Press. It's a very small operation that comes back to a PO Box in Elgin, IL. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I just discovered the address recently.

Based on the story she tells me, I'm thinking it was probably published in the mid 80s.

She told me the title was "Free to be a Family", but I'm fairly certain that's not right. There's a similar book from about the same time with that name, but it was by a mainstream publisher and had a number of celebrities (at the time) involved. I think she's confusing the two.

Anyhow, she told me about this years ago. She said she was supposed to get a comp copy, but it never turned up. I'd love to surprise her with one. If anybody on here has a copy or can find one, I'd love it.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:44 am

Greatwyrm wrote:
Wayne wrote:

What are the details?

Not much, I'm afraid. It was a kids' book about different kinds of families. When my wife was a little girl, she sent in an essay and they included it in the book.

The publisher was The Flying Pencil Press. It's a very small operation that comes back to a PO Box in Elgin, IL. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I just discovered the address recently.

Based on the story she tells me, I'm thinking it was probably published in the mid 80s.

She told me the title was "Free to be a Family", but I'm fairly certain that's not right. There's a similar book from about the same time with that name, but it was by a mainstream publisher and had a number of celebrities (at the time) involved. I think she's confusing the two.

Anyhow, she told me about this years ago. She said she was supposed to get a comp copy, but it never turned up. I'd love to surprise her with one. If anybody on here has a copy or can find one, I'd love it.

Are you sure it is an actual book. The company did magazines with content from kids. I know that would make it even harder to find. Another lead for you is that Charlotte Towner Graeber was the editor and possibly owner. She is the only person on the Illinois business registry. She is also an author. Might be a good path to go down. The company printed a book of children submitted poems and essays called "creatures unlimited"
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Greatwyrm
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Greatwyrm » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:08 pm

That name is a new lead. Thank you!

Return to “Fear the Boot”