Bonus Episode 83

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
Glenn
I am the story stick

Bonus Episode 83

Postby Glenn » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:05 pm

I’ve been wanting an episode like this. You could do one of these every three months and I’d be happy.

The role playing stuff is nice, but I’d happily listen to a “Dan and friends talk about things they like” podcast.

Next time Wayne list off what comics you’ve enjoyed recently.

Wayne
Host

Re: Bonus Episode 83

Postby Wayne » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:04 am

Glenn wrote:I’ve been wanting an episode like this. You could do one of these every three months and I’d be happy.

The role playing stuff is nice, but I’d happily listen to a “Dan and friends talk about things they like” podcast.

What I'm really enjoying right now with one per publisher:

• Boom Studios: Power Rangers- Yes I have nostalgia, but these are for a more adult audience that grew up with them
  • Marvel: Invisible Woman. It is a miniseries that has been really good. Sue was recruited by Nick Fury early in her career to do Spy missions with her powers being perfect for it.
  • DC: Superman Up in the Sky, Batman Universe, and Titans Burning Rage. These are reprints of the comics sold at Walmart consolidating these new stories
  • Image: Die. A group of kids were pulled into a tabletop RPG game and all but one returned and were not able to talk about what happened. 20 or 30 years later they are reunited and pulled back into that world. A strong dark story with an RPG theme.
  • IDW: Transformers\Ghostbusters Yeah I am purely running on nostalgia here. I love both properties and immediately bought the Ecto1 transformer when it came out. He is of course a main character in the book as is Starscreeams ghost.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:38 am

Wayne wrote:Boom Studios: Power Rangers- Yes I have nostalgia, but these are for a more adult audience that grew up with them
Oooh, is that the one with Lord Drakkon and an evil power ranger army?
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:03 pm

Wayne wrote:
Glenn wrote:I’ve been wanting an episode like this. You could do one of these every three months and I’d be happy.

• Boom Studios: Power Rangers- Yes I have nostalgia, but these are for a more adult audience that grew up with them
  • Marvel: Invisible Woman. It is a miniseries that has been really good. Sue was recruited by Nick Fury early in her career to do Spy missions with her powers being perfect for it.
  • DC: Superman Up in the Sky, Batman Universe, and Titans Burning Rage. These are reprints of the comics sold at Walmart consolidating these new stories
  • Image: Die. A group of kids were pulled into a tabletop RPG game and all but one returned and were not able to talk about what happened. 20 or 30 years later they are reunited and pulled back into that world. A strong dark story with an RPG theme.
  • IDW: Transformers\Ghostbusters Yeah I am purely running on nostalgia here. I love both properties and immediately bought the Ecto1 transformer when it came out. He is of course a main character in the book as is Starscreeams ghost.

Thank you! :D

Is the Invisible Woman set like in the early days of the FF and is a retcon (like The Illuminati?)

And IDW has been great for nostalgia comics. I was really enjoying their TMNT and Star Trek series. Although i kinda stalled out on both and haven't kept up.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:54 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:
Wayne wrote:Boom Studios: Power Rangers- Yes I have nostalgia, but these are for a more adult audience that grew up with them
Oooh, is that the one with Lord Drakkon and an evil power ranger army?

Yes it is.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:56 pm

Glenn wrote:
Wayne wrote:

Thank you! :D

Is the Invisible Woman set like in the early days of the FF and is a retcon (like The Illuminati?)

And IDW has been great for nostalgia comics. I was really enjoying their TMNT and Star Trek series. Although i kinda stalled out on both and haven't kept up.

It is set in modern day with flashbacks. Thw flashbacks are retconing it in but it makes such complete sense. She also stands by a no killing rule with her work.

Greatwyrm
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Greatwyrm » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:15 pm

Is a James Eads biography still televant to your interests?

https://www.amazon.com/James-Buchanan-E ... oks&sr=1-6
"So you stab the guard. Are you using 'Assassin Strike' or 'Light Blades'?"
"No, I'm gonna open with 'Sociopath'."

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:55 am

Greatwyrm wrote:Is a James Eads biography still televant to your interests?

I had found that one awhile ago and it's listed a juvenile biography. Several of the biographies I've found on him are pretty old books aimed at kids. There is one from 1900 that isn't, I gave it a go and it's just awful.

https://archive.org/details/jamesbeads00howlrich

Most of the others are just term papers, articles, or someone's collage masters thesis from the 60's bound into a book that got scanned into something because it was in their universities library. None of them are meaty or sufficient for what I was looking for.

BUT!

I finished Hardluck Ironclad...
https://www.amazon.com/Hardluck-Ironcla ... 0807106844

...and was reading the bibliography in back where I found this as one of the sources:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15655 ... UTF8&psc=1

So I bought a used copy from a Good Will in Vegas for a couple of bucks. I should be getting it this week and we'll see if it's any good or just a regurgitation of articles and letters.

LaramieWall
BABUSHKA!

Postby LaramieWall » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:46 pm

Thank you for clarifying it's not just a videogame list. I'm not a video gamer (not too good for it, just something I couldn't afford for a while and never came back), but I really enjoyed the book portion (the video game portion was good as well, just not in my wheelhouse.)

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:52 am

Chad wrote:
Greatwyrm wrote:Is a James Eads biography still televant to your interests?

I had found that one awhile ago and it's listed a juvenile biography. Several of the biographies I've found on him are pretty old books aimed at kids. There is one from 1900 that isn't, I gave it a go and it's just awful.

https://archive.org/details/jamesbeads00howlrich

Most of the others are just term papers, articles, or someone's collage masters thesis from the 60's bound into a book that got scanned into something because it was in their universities library. None of them are meaty or sufficient for what I was looking for.

BUT!

I finished Hardluck Ironclad...
https://www.amazon.com/Hardluck-Ironcla ... 0807106844

...and was reading the bibliography in back where I found this as one of the sources:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15655 ... UTF8&psc=1

So I bought a used copy from a Good Will in Vegas for a couple of bucks. I should be getting it this week and we'll see if it's any good or just a regurgitation of articles and letters.

The Vegas Goodwill processed my order then found out they didn't have it. Checked the libraries around town and they have copies of Road to the Sea but none of them can be checked out, they are all in the reference and historical book or rare book sections.

I was able to get a used copy on Amazon for $25 which isn't bad since most seem to be going for $50.

Return to “Fear the Boot”