Episode 522 - The Onus of Recovery

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Episode 522 - The Onus of Recovery

Postby clintmemo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:21 am

On dice rules, I got lots of flack the first time I posted it, but I'm going to post it again, anyway.

If you roll a dice off the table and onto the floor, it is automatically the worst possible value. Rolling to hit? That's a 1. Saving throw? 1.

I will give you at least one warning, usually two, though the second one is more stern. I had to do this because I had too many unruly teenagers rolling dice 5 feet across the table and under the china cabinet - every. damn. time.

After two or three automatic failures, it's amazing how fast everyone learns to keep the dice on the the table.

When the old people get together to play, it rarely happens, and when it does, we all just laugh.
And yes, the rule applies to the GM as well.

Long ago, we had a player that never really understood that D&D was not a competitive game. He was a generation older than us. He started doing this dice routine where he would roll his very hard to read dice, then pick it up and move it away from his face and then closer again, several times, claiming he was having a hard time reading it, then showing it to you and asking to verify the number. "Is that a 19?" He was, of course, spinning the dice around as he was moving it.
I finally gave him a different set of dice that all of us could read from across the table. Then when he rolled, we would just all tell him what it said before he could pick it up.
"That's a 6"
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Chad
Host

Re: Episode 522 - The Onus of Recovery

Postby Chad » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:40 am

clintmemo wrote:
Long ago, we had a player that never really understood that D&D was not a competitive game. He was a generation older than us. He started doing this dice routine where he would roll his very hard to read dice, then pick it up and move it away from his face and then closer again, several times, claiming he was having a hard time reading it, then showing it to you and asking to verify the number. "Is that a 19?" He was, of course, spinning the dice around as he was moving it.
I finally gave him a different set of dice that all of us could read from across the table. Then when he rolled, we would just all tell him what it said before he could pick it up.
"That's a 6"

What you should have done is tell him something different:"You are a cheater and are no longer welcome in this group."

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:47 am

Chad wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
"That's a 6"

What you should have done is tell him something different:"You are a cheater and are no longer welcome in this group."

Considering he was one of the other player's dad, that would not have ended well. :lol:

Ironically, he stayed in the group a lot longer than his kids did.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:18 am

Yeah, I hate roll farming. I've got one player who tried the trick where he would just kinda randomly 'roll' his d20 every once in a while, and then it came up high, he would stop and try to claim that roll when one was next called for. I didn't let it work, and he quit.

I get the impulse to call out cheaters and just kick 'em out of the group. But this is one area where I think 'the perfect is the enemy of the good'. Most gamers don't have players lined up to join their group. And gamers do tend to come in groups. If I lose my problem dice roller, I also lose his wife who is one of our best role players. Sometimes you gotta come up with that middle solution.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

VaMinion
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby VaMinion » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:43 pm

My three big die rules:

1 - Reroll if it hits the floor.

2 - If your dice hit the floor too much, you're subjected to Clint's rule.

3 - Unless it's something that's completely self-governing*, rolls don't count until you've told me what you're trying to do and I've confirmed I've heard it.

* The main example of this is the extended checks to perform blood sorcery in my Vampire campaign. I don't want to bring the entire table to a halt while one players casts his buffs.
Cursing is like a spice. And sometimes you're making thai.

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:57 pm

Here’s my dice rule:

CUP
AND
DROP

Take the damn die or dice. Cup them between your hands. Shake. Hands go straight down into the table and open them up at the bottom. Don’t give them horizontal momentum if you aren’t REALLY good at controlling it. Like Wayne this drives me up the wall during board games because I am sick and tired of having to fix rooms or minis in Betrayal because you are trying to skip the dice across the table.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:39 pm

We had a player roll a dice onto the floor today and I couldn't remember which of the 48 different dice rules applied to the situation.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:06 pm

Chad wrote:We had a player roll a dice onto the floor today and I couldn't remember which of the 48 different dice rules applied to the situation.

Not only that but she used a dice tower and two went flying out to hit the floor.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:17 pm

That is a shitty dice tower.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:30 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:That is a shitty dice tower.

Lol it is an outrageously expensive one Pat bought at Gencon one year.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Return to “Fear the Boot”