Episode 521 - Grinding Gears

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
VaMinion
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Re: Episode 521 - Grinding Gears

Postby VaMinion » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:57 pm

clintmemo wrote:
John wrote:
VaMinion wrote:Mine is complication fatigue. I'm really tired of the only difference between a success and a failure being how many new problems are created. It's GM laziness with a pretty coat of paint.

That sounds weird.

I love it when a player-contrived plan pops off with everybody rolling 19s all day long. It's easier to say "good job, that works!" than to think up wrenches to throw.

Throw wrenches if they fail spectacularly.
Throw flowers if the succeed stupendously.

You two clearly don't subscribe to the "Failure is fun! Therefore constant failure is constantly fun!" school of GMing. :lol:
Cursing is like a spice. And sometimes you're making thai.

[red]
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby [red] » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:27 pm

Other gear grinding moments - As a player:

1. When I make a move based off the little facts that I know and the tone of the game (this feels like it would fit the setting), and the GM snowballs it into a terrible choice.

2. When I have success hidden behind multiple rolls to increasingly make success less and less likely.

3. When success for a plan is is minimized (especially if you hid success behind multiple rolls!) as to be entirely non-impacting.

4. When players cannot agree on plans, or when one player keeps on denying plans without alternatives, or when planning takes too long and we just need to do stuff.

5. When players are asked or are given time to plan something but the DM does not give meaningful information or only provides misinformation. Bonus points if the DM adjusts the hidden information to specifically counter the players' plans.

As a GM:

1. When I have an NPC in front of everyone filled with plot and info, and all the players want to do is belittle, harass, or make fun of the NPC. It can be fun sometimes, but guys - try to talk to folks and make personal connections.

2. Every-man-for-themselves in combat. Support each other. If someone calls out that they are in trouble, help out. I'm certainly not going to pull my punches.
--- < :facepalm: > ---

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:39 am

[red] wrote:
4. When players cannot agree on plans, or when one player keeps on denying plans without alternatives, or when planning takes too long and we just need to do stuff.

I solved this with a character. He would wait for what I thought was a reasonable amount of time, and then just take action.

2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Return to “Fear the Boot”