Episode 521 - Grinding Gears

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Episode 521 - Grinding Gears

Postby Ikoma » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:15 pm

Not finished yet, but I am loving this episode. I love the energy from the near-rant statements! You are preaching to the choir on the social skills double standard, the jerk-ass DM who expects you to know real-life skill set X in order for your character to succeed at it, the guy who wants to compress 200 year of gunsmithing technology into 15 minutes in a blacksmithy (or some other similar tech leap forward because he's heard of bat guano!). Whew! Having fun here!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: Episode 521 - Grinding Gears

Postby clintmemo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:56 am

Things that grind my gears when I GM D&D 5e:

The player that is checked out when it his not his turn in combat who then wants a recap of what has happened since his last turn.
"Ok, so what's going on?"

The player that has been sitting there waiting for his turn and has been paying attention but has no idea what he wants to do when his turn arrives.

The player that knows what he wants to do, but doesn't know how it works and has just sat there waiting for his turn instead of looking it up.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

John
Host

Postby John » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:43 am

clintmemo wrote:Things that grind my gears when I GM D&D 5e:

The player that is checked out when it his not his turn in combat who then wants a recap of what has happened since his last turn.

The smartphone bucket my friend. Double XP for any players that throw theirs in. If you're on call (as in you have an on-call shift that you are presently on and you're a doctor or a security professional or something, not as in 'someone might need to call me') you can keep it an get the XP bonus if you solemnly vow that you will use it for no other purpose than to be available on your shift.

clintmemo wrote:The player that has been sitting there waiting for his turn and has been paying attention but has no idea what he wants to do when his turn arrives.

5E has a Dodge move that gives attackers disadvantage until the start of the next turn. It's not bad. It's also what your character does in my games if you can't come up with a move in a minute or so.

clintmemo wrote:The player that knows what he wants to do, but doesn't know how it works and has just sat there waiting for his turn instead of looking it up.

This hasn't been a persistent problem for me, don't know what to tell you. Most of my players are such goons that they've been mix/maxing their every move the entire time and know exactly who is rolling what.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:51 am

I just run games where there aren't turns. Bam. If you don't say anything, you don't do anything. Step up or get left behind.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:36 am

John wrote:
clintmemo wrote:Things that grind my gears when I GM D&D 5e:

The smartphone bucket my friend. Double XP for any players that throw theirs in. If you're on call (as in you have an on-call shift that you are presently on and you're a doctor or a security professional or something, not as in 'someone might need to call me') you can keep it an get the XP bonus if you solemnly vow that you will use it for no other purpose than to be available on your shift.

Yeah....

I forgot to mention that we play remotely.
On Roll 20.
With no cameras.

John wrote:
clintmemo wrote:The player that has been sitting there waiting for his turn and has been paying attention but has no idea what he wants to do when his turn arrives.

5E has a Dodge move that gives attackers disadvantage until the start of the next turn. It's not bad. It's also what your character does in my games if you can't come up with a move in a minute or so.

I need a button in Roll20 that makes a big hour glass and when the sand runs out - you automatically dodge.
(And then I need to make sure I play my side fairly to go along with it.)

John wrote:
clintmemo wrote:The player that knows what he wants to do, but doesn't know how it works and has just sat there waiting for his turn instead of looking it up.

John wrote:This hasn't been a persistent problem for me, don't know what to tell you. Most of my players are such goons that they've been mix/maxing their every move the entire time and know exactly who is rolling what.

A lot of it is us enabling out own bad habits. 35+ years of no one being the hammer is hard to overcome.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:38 am

You can add music to Roll20.

The Final Jeopardy theme has got to be on an MP3 out there somewhere. Just saying ...
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

VaMinion
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby VaMinion » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:52 am

Mine is complication fatigue. I'm really tired of the only difference between a success and a failure being how many new problems are created. It's GM laziness with a pretty coat of paint.
Cursing is like a spice. And sometimes you're making thai.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:27 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:You can add music to Roll20.

The Final Jeopardy theme has got to be on an MP3 out there somewhere. Just saying ...

:D

So I immediately went to Youtube to look for it and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Probably ought to use a different source.

John
Host

Postby John » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:45 pm

VaMinion wrote:Mine is complication fatigue. I'm really tired of the only difference between a success and a failure being how many new problems are created. It's GM laziness with a pretty coat of paint.

That sounds weird.

I love it when a player-contrived plan pops off with everybody rolling 19s all day long. It's easier to say "good job, that works!" than to think up wrenches to throw.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:04 pm

John wrote:
VaMinion wrote:Mine is complication fatigue. I'm really tired of the only difference between a success and a failure being how many new problems are created. It's GM laziness with a pretty coat of paint.

That sounds weird.

I love it when a player-contrived plan pops off with everybody rolling 19s all day long. It's easier to say "good job, that works!" than to think up wrenches to throw.

Throw wrenches if they fail spectacularly.
Throw flowers if the succeed stupendously.

Return to “Fear the Boot”