Episode 490 Not The Real Game

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
roninkakuhito
BABUSHKA!

Episode 490 Not The Real Game

Postby roninkakuhito » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:06 pm

Chad, it sounds like you might be interested in Amnesia games.
2 you might look into are A Penny for My Thoughts and Alas Vegas.
Alas Vegas is a 4 player 4 session game with a rotating gm. Each person reads their section between sessions, and it is set in Rat Pack era Vegas. It has some tone of the book issues, but is a good time. It uses tarot cards and has wonderful gambling related mechanics

Chad
Host

Re: Episode 490 Not The Real Game

Postby Chad » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:30 pm

Another good one is Silent Memories. ;)

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:56 pm

I spent the whole podcast thinking how cool this game sounded and how this is about the only possible situation where I would not be screaming bait 'n' switch if someone tried it on me. :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:02 pm

Ikoma wrote:I spent the whole podcast thinking how cool this game sounded and how this is about the only possible situation where I would not be screaming bait 'n' switch if someone tried it on me. :)

It was a risk, to be sure.

Both the Lasers and Feelings game and the Cattle Skull game idea with the alternates (red shirts and main characters) came from our Discord channel where people were talking about what exactly a GM was supposed to do with an alternate (seat them or tell them they can't play) so I asked myself if there was another option.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:05 pm

I'd like to give a shout out to Saving the Game and their bonus ep 15, they give a run down of the con and two of the hosts where players in my game. They give a report of their side of the story. :thumbup:

http://stgcast.org/bonus-episode-15-con ... -con-2018/

roninkakuhito
BABUSHKA!

Postby roninkakuhito » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 pm

So there are lasers and feelings hacks that are not just a reskin of lasers and feelings the do things like add a pacing mechanic. I do suspect that lasers and feelings is a hack of an earlier game cold all outta Bubblegum, which is inspired by they live. It has a very similar mechanic and came out in 2001. Harper is certainly part of that same community and the album with the song that inspired lasers and feelings came out in 2003. There are some differences but I could see taking that core mechanic and drifting at the Star Trek, and I think both creators were active on the forge and that back and forth response to people's game design was one of the good things that comes out of the forge

Darth Xentus
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Darth Xentus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:25 pm

A note about the illusory door: That was a bit of improv. I didn't have anything specific about his house, but everyone decided to go there even though I had (at least thought I had) pointed them in the direction they needed to go in. So, I went through my mental portfolio of who this character was (Wizard Oni, necromancer, etc.) and how they might try and keep up appearances while they did what they wanted to do elsewhere. "Wizard" was my biggest tip in that decision. And so, Magic door illusion house interior.

That said, It always seems to be those bits of improv that my players, regardless of table, latch onto. I've learned early on to just accept it and let the players have fun. Though I am disappointed no one tried to utilize it in the final confrontation. Or in the encounter with the indifferent Yagnoloth.

Next year I am going to run more with this bit of homebrew, but heaven help the other players if Dan and/or Aisha are at the table again. I have plans for them. :twisted:
There’s no valor in death. Valor is what you make of life.

Penguinsushi
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Penguinsushi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:24 pm

Chad: I have to say, I love to hear you talk about your games. They're always very creative, and your description delivery is always very engaging.

And OH MY, does that reveal to the alternates sounds amazing. I may have to use this premise. That is awesome.

~PS
"One Penguin to Rule Them All..."

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:57 pm

Penguinsushi wrote:Chad: I have to say, I love to hear you talk about your games. They're always very creative, and your description delivery is always very engaging.

And OH MY, does that reveal to the alternates sounds amazing. I may have to use this premise. That is awesome.

~PS

Thanks! :thumbup:

I'm not sure I can ever run that game again. I had a lot of anxiety about the whole thing coming together since it's very dependent on the players. If one of the alternates let it slip early on or the 1st person in the gang to figure it out just starts going on about it as soon as they figured it out then it would have been a very different and more straight forward kind of game. I got super lucky and got an all star team of players at my table.

I think the premise can translate to almost any game system and would work well in multiple genres, a samurai game for example would be interesting.

clintmemo
Paid to GM

Postby clintmemo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:38 pm

Chad wrote:
Penguinsushi wrote:Chad: I have to say, I love to hear you talk about your games. They're always very creative, and your description delivery is always very engaging.

~PS

Thanks! :thumbup:

I'm not sure I can ever run that game again. I had a lot of anxiety about the whole thing coming together since it's very dependent on the players. If one of the alternates let it slip early on or the 1st person in the gang to figure it out just starts going on about it as soon as they figured it out then it would have been a very different and more straight forward kind of game. I got super lucky and got an all star team of players at my table.

I probably would have ruined it if I had been the first to figure it out. I would have been too...excited? eager? surprised? Something.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Return to “Fear the Boot”