480--There and Back Again

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

480--There and Back Again

Postby Mikel » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:00 am

Chad's mentioning the sky in Missouri.

I lived in New Jersey for a few years and we had an after work party one night that went super late. I ended up falling asleep on the couch for awhile and, at dawn, my very drunk friend Jay (we were at his place) shook me awake.

"Mikel. Yo, Mikel. You gotta see this. I wouldn't wake you if it wasn't improtant. Come with me, Mikel. You gotta see this!"

I went with him outside.

"Look at the sky, Mikel! Look at the sky!"

Where we lived in Jersey was all mountains and valleys. (I don't know if mountain was the right word, exactly, but it was bigger than hills and tended to take up a lot of visual real estate.) I looked up at the small patch of sky we could see.

"Jay. I'm from the Midwest. All we have is sky."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry..." He apologized all over himself on the way back in.

-----
Also--I've found some incredibly cool things with using Google Earth and how the Unknown Armies gods seem to help me find the most interesting and perfect thing in settings when I randomly choose a place to go. I may have to check and see if they're still looking for articles.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Devin Parker
Dan's Road Rubber

Re: 480--There and Back Again

Postby Devin Parker » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:47 am

Mikel wrote:Also--I've found some incredibly cool things with using Google Earth and how the Unknown Armies gods seem to help me find the most interesting and perfect thing in settings when I randomly choose a place to go. I may have to check and see if they're still looking for articles.

While looking at Google Maps and planning locations for my NYC superhero game, I was pleasantly surprised to see a 3-D option on the satellite image version, so I could see the skyscrapers jutting up as well as diving in for a street view. Fun stuff.

Penguinsushi
Teller of gaming stories

Re: 480--There and Back Again

Postby Penguinsushi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:48 am

Mikel wrote:Also--I've found some incredibly cool things with using Google Earth...

This is actually really cool. While it doesn't help with the societal aspects, it definitely gives you some interesting fodder for the geographical. Hunting for interesting features at various zoom levels and then researching the locations is fascinating. I've spent a ton of time over my lunch hour browsing Google for tiny, remote islands and then looking them up on wikipedia to see what their story is. Some of them are simple, one-line entries but others have surprisingly interesting histories... ...and that's how I learned about the 1857 Guano Islands act.

~PS
"One Penguin to Rule Them All..."

Return to “Fear the Boot”