Episode 469 - Looks good on Paper

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
whdr02
Teller of gaming stories

Episode 469 - Looks good on Paper

Postby whdr02 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:55 pm

Thanks for the shout out guys! I am a little ashamed to say I fanboy freaked a little and my daughter was floored to hear her name! Thanks for the Brodeur warning so I knew when to send her away.

I haven't listened to the rest of the show yet, I'll get back to it now.
Reading-Radio Parent/child book club podcast.
Raising two geek girls.

nanoboy
Teller of gaming stories

Re: Episode 469 - Looks good on Paper

Postby nanoboy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:13 am

I prefer pen and paper notes these days, largely because I have fallen in love with fountain pens. (Their tactile nature is delightful.) Players can also have some fun keeping their character sheets and game notes in order with something like what Sarah Darkmagic did. I attempted it myself, and it looks okay, but I do not have the artistic skills to pull it off as well.

You may also want to look into disk-bound notebooks. They're a bit like 3-ring binders, but it's even easier to add and remove pages on the fly.

clintmemo
Curses, foiled again by multiple tabs

Postby clintmemo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:45 am

nanoboy wrote:
You may also want to look into disk-bound notebooks. They're a bit like 3-ring binders, but it's even easier to add and remove pages on the fly.

I was in love with my Rolla binder a few years ago. I ran and played Savage Worlds out of it. It made the perfect companion to the explorer's edition book. I printed out and shrunk down the pages I needed for stuck them in the binder.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

whdr02
Teller of gaming stories

Postby whdr02 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:28 am

Finishing the rest of the episode gave me a big nostalgia kick. I remember doing all of my RPG's in three rings and folders. I don't know that I could go back now that I am a OneNote junkie.
Raising two geek girls.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:26 pm

whdr02 wrote:Finishing the rest of the episode gave me a big nostalgia kick. I remember doing all of my RPG's in three rings and folders. I don't know that I could go back now that I am a OneNote junkie.

Yup! I get the nostalgia but I would never go back. OneNote (and programs like it) take all the good about binder organization and just add to it (search-ability, link-ability, reorganize-ability). With the caveat of needing power. You don't need internet as long as you synced before you leave wifi and sync back up when you get back. And modern devices can handle a several hours (although you may need a battery pack and a wall socket is best). At this point in my life, time is the precious resource and digital notebooks are faster.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

whdr02
Teller of gaming stories

Postby whdr02 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:50 am

I don't think I can handle going back, but there is something about the smell of new books and old character sheets that is really nice.
Raising two geek girls.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:54 am

Like I mentioned in the episode for me it isn't going back. I have been using OneNote since the first version(03) and always used it for my notes.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

fenrisnorth
BABUSHKA!

Postby fenrisnorth » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:42 pm

It's called a kneaded eraser and they have them in the drafting supply sections of office supply stores.

Return to “Fear the Boot”