Episode 462: The story of a City

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
Young_0ne2
Pat's Knob Polisher

Episode 462: The story of a City

Postby Young_0ne2 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:47 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PWWtqfwacQ
Some food for thought about the subject...

Also good stuff for world building! ( i'll talk more after work)

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Episode 462: The story of a City

Postby Ikoma » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:48 pm

This was a fun episode. It's good to be reminded of these issues. I do agree with the hosts that the 'theme park' city/planet problem is almost always a function of the GM showing the players just what they need to see to interact with the environment and for this reason I have come to be less bothered by their existence than I used to be. I mean, if your players only interactions on the moon of Endor are a bike chase and battle located in a redwood forest, then who cares what the rest of the planet looks like? A real world example is Las Vegas. So many people only experience Vegas as the 'Strip' that the rest of it really doesn't matter to them. I do agree that variation and authenticity are improvements for a lot of games. Not all, but it's something to keep in mind.

It was fun to listen to the talk about how most cities in the world sprung up randomly over time since I live in one part of the world where that didn't happen. Many of the cities and town in and around Utah were settled under direction of Brigham Young. He would tap a dozen families, say we (the Church and it's members) need cotton, why don't you travel south and settle St. George. Similar story happened over and over again. And all these cities/towns settled by the Mormon were laid out in regular Cartesian grids (where they could - hills/rivers still had an impact, of course). It's part of the reason why Utah can feel so different than other places.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:41 pm

Ikoma wrote:It was fun to listen to the talk about how most cities in the world sprung up randomly over time since I live in one part of the world where that didn't happen. Many of the cities and town in and around Utah were settled under direction of Brigham Young. He would tap a dozen families, say we (the Church and it's members) need cotton, why don't you travel south and settle St. George. Similar story happened over and over again. And all these cities/towns settled by the Mormon were laid out in regular Cartesian grids (where they could - hills/rivers still had an impact, of course). It's part of the reason why Utah can feel so different than other places.

I recently read The 1838 Mormon War in Missouri and it talked about how the Mormons planned out their towns here like Far West and Independence. Plan 1st, start moving people in, make sure then plan provides for growth. If they needing something they just didn't hope someone else would make it, they would up and build it, usually as part of the original plan.

Side note, anyone who plays Dogs in the Vineyard you should really read The 1838 Mormon War in Missouri, it's more or less what the game is about.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:37 am

Interestingly i lived in one of the oldest cities in the us (just out of boston) for most my life and i do city planning by habbit in a intermigled manner.

P-214 and counting.
Last edited by N00b13 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

VaMinion
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby VaMinion » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Since it kicked off the episode, may as well post some pictures so people can see how weird DC buildings can be.

We'll start with Union Station:

From there you've got these four buildings within 2 miles.

The J Edgar Hoover building:

The Acacia Life Insurance Building and its griffin statues:

The Washington Convention Center:

And finally the Smithsonian Castle:

Young_0ne2
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby Young_0ne2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:06 am

Go home Washington City Planners, your Drunk...

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:08 pm

Ikoma wrote: I mean, if your players only interactions on the moon of Endor are a bike chase and battle located in a redwood forest, then who cares what the rest of the planet looks like?

"It was raining on Mongo that day."
That was how Orson Scott Card described lazy world building, like the whole planet was like that. The same could be said of cities.
I love this episode, I have been doing this for years: having some logical reason as to why a place is where it is or even why it is named what it is.
I was born in Lebanon, IN and because there a lot of cedar trees in the area it ties into an old testament quote about cedar trees. I also lived in Thorntown, IN and all around the town there are thorn bushes with thorns that reach 6 inches and it also ties into a local myth. A town called Wheelwright might be named that because a wheelwright could be found there in the past. The same can be said of towns named ______ Ferry.
A river, lake, mine, whatever; I try and have a logical explanation.
However the hosts just briefly touched this: what happens when the reason for a town being there changes or goes away? For example, the railroads crossed the Mississippi to the north and now the economic dynamic changes. Or a business dries up, sorry we're getting into Springsteen song territory here, and now the dynamic changes.
Anyway. blah blah blah, there's my 2 copper pieces worth.
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

clintmemo
Curses, foiled again by multiple tabs

Postby clintmemo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:08 pm

I have often named towns after their geographic locations - Hillside, Harlin's Bluff, Hook's End. My favorite was Desert's Edge.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Natural disasters can also play a huge part in how cities grow. I've often heard it said that Galveston would have grown larger than Houston if it hadn't been wiped out by the Storm of 1900. Today Houston is a sprawling international city while Galveston is more of a vacation spot. I mean, Galvestonians probably don't see their town as a vacation spot, but the rest of the state does. Also natural disasters can shape towns too: Galveston's famous seawall was made in response to the Storm.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

Young_0ne2
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby Young_0ne2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 pm

When i was in High school we had a class about local history that i loved and now in my later years, the history lessons have stayed with me when it comes to naming towns.

For example:

The town i went to High school in was called Amboy.

The History is that when the white explorers expanded into the area the native american people tried to speak English to the explorers. So when they asked the natives, " What do you call this place?" The response was " Amboy", which people think they were trying to say " I am a boy".

I also know, from my travels in IL, that a lot of rich white people decided that this Spot right here is great for a home! Then other people followed and in honor of the first family to settle, they named the town after them. Dixon IL is an Example of this.

Return to “Fear the Boot”