Episode 461 - back to the gold box

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Episode 461 - back to the gold box

Postby clintmemo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:21 pm

Sorry to jump in before the regular episode posts but I wanted add one more irritation about those games.

Back in the day, I went through the entire goldbox series and then the technically superior but gameplay inferior Eye of the Beholder series that followed it.

I'm not sure about the Apple version, but with the IBM version, you didn't play with the disks they sent you. You had to "install" the disks onto your own set of disks (or a hard drive if you had one). The disks that came with the box were compressed so the 4 5.25" floppies installed onto 7 (or 8) of your own disks. On my machine, which barely made the technical limitation, it took about 2 hours to do the install process.

Also, the adventurer's journal had two more reasons to exist.
1) Copy protection. You might be able to copy the disk but you were unlikely to go and photocopy the manual. They also used colors that made it difficult to photocopy. There was technical copy protection on floppy disks but copy breaking software was always just behind it. Game makers eventually gave up and changed to methods like the wheel.
2) Screen layout and technical limitations. Dumping that much text onto the screen would be a big challenge and probably force you to click through several screens just to read it.

You can get versions of the gold box games from GOG for next to nothing. The copy protection has been removed and they have PDF version of the manuals that come with the game. I actually played about 3/4 of the way through Pool of Radiance a few months ago.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Re: Episode 461 - back to the gold box

Postby Gyro LC » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Another great, hard-as-hell, PC RPG is Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant. I never played the old D&D PC games. I didn't even know what D&D was back then. :lol:
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Well, if we're getting this party started here, I'm just gonna copy this over from the Patreon:

Ahem. Wow, guys. That was quite possibly the absolute most tedious, meandering, pointless episode of Fear the Boot ever recorded. ... That included regular hosts. The incredibly unnecessarily long and detailed description of how a floppy disk works in particular was just ... just truly amazing. In that I was amazed that nobody thought better of it and tried to make the hurting stop.

I don't think I've ever regretted listening to a Fear the Boot episode that included at least one regular host, and didn't figure I would. But what do you know! You managed to prove me wrong. Good job?
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:39 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:Well, if we're getting this party started here, I'm just gonna copy this over from the Patreon:

Ahem. Wow, guys. That was quite possibly the absolute most tedious, meandering, pointless episode of Fear the Boot ever recorded. ... That included regular hosts. The incredibly unnecessarily long and detailed description of how a floppy disk works in particular was just ... just truly amazing. In that I was amazed that nobody thought better of it and tried to make the hurting stop.

I don't think I've ever regretted listening to a Fear the Boot episode that included at least one regular host, and didn't figure I would. But what do you know! You managed to prove me wrong. Good job?

I enjoyed the episode.

None of the garage sales around here have nerd stuff. It's an old neighborhood so you'd think there would be something.
Hungry freaks, daddy!

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:07 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:I don't think I've ever regretted listening to a Fear the Boot episode that included at least one regular host, and didn't figure I would. But what do you know! You managed to prove me wrong. Good job?

Good ol' Azh...never missing a chance to brutally bash what others do so we know he still seethes.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Mikel wrote:
Azhrei Vep wrote:I don't think I've ever regretted listening to a Fear the Boot episode that included at least one regular host, and didn't figure I would. But what do you know! You managed to prove me wrong. Good job?

Good ol' Azh...never missing a chance to brutally bash what others do so we know he still seethes.

He expresses his love of things through hatred.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:11 am

clintmemo wrote:
Mikel wrote:

He expresses his love of things through hatred.

Eh, if I didn't know they could do better, I wouldn't bother. They've recorded better episodes* in a speeding car. They've had more insightful and entertaining discussions about the size and shape of RPG books. Actually, I really like that episode. It was a way better discussion than the idea warranted.

*Well, episode. They only did that once. But still, it was better.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:15 pm

I know I'm going to live to regret this... but I feel compelled to defend Ashtray in this... :problem:

I haven't listened to the episode. I don't know if it has even been released to us mere mortals yet. That doesn't matter. What matters is whether or not it is acceptable to be openly critical of Fear the Boot. Now, Ashtray is a dick, we all know that, but noone is going to doubt for a moment that he is also a rabid fanboy of the Boot. When he is moved to post a critical assessment of an episode it is time for the hosts to take note, and question whether they have let their usually high standards slip. Nobody is perfect, and occasional poor episodes are inevitable. But if all we are allowed to present is blind adoration then that does nobody any good.

I believe the hosts are big enough to take a little constructive criticism.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Lord Foul wrote:I know I'm going to live to regret this... but I feel compelled to defend Ashtray in this... :problem:

I haven't listened to the episode. I don't know if it has even been released to us mere mortals yet. That doesn't matter. What matters is whether or not it is acceptable to be openly critical of Fear the Boot. Now, Ashtray is a dick, we all know that, but noone is going to doubt for a moment that he is also a rabid fanboy of the Boot. When he is moved to post a critical assessment of an episode it is time for the hosts to take note, and question whether they have let their usually high standards slip. Nobody is perfect, and occasional poor episodes are inevitable. But if all we are allowed to present is blind adoration then that does nobody any good.

I believe the hosts are big enough to take a little constructive criticism.

I don't think the FtB hosts would object to constructive criticism given in an encouraging or respectful manner. Perhaps some of the hosts have a relationship with him where they don't mind the tone because that's just "Az being Az." I don't know. I do know that none of that was constructive, encouraging, or respectful.
Hungry freaks, daddy!

DaleMcCoy
Host

Postby DaleMcCoy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:36 pm

You guys said at one point that you'll have to find a way to play them. Here you go, the much easier way of doing it.

Incase you hadn't heard, they also have the original X-Wing and TIE Fighter games there as well.
Dale McCoy
President of Jon Brazer Enterprises
Download our Pathfinder, D&D 5e, 13th Age, and Traveller titles
at JonBrazer.com

Return to “Fear the Boot”