Episode 366 - Expectations

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.

Would YOU subscribe to an RPG?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:25 am

Never! The very idea offends me!
3%
Sure, I guess. Seems like a decent enough idea.
24%
No, I've got no problem with the idea, but it's not for me.
52%
Yes! I love the idea! I want all my RPGs this way!
3%
Jigsaw
3%
Chad is wrong.
15%

Total votes: 33

martian_god
Chad is a Contrarian

Re: Episode 366 - Expectations

Postby martian_god » Sun May 03, 2015 12:12 am

For the record - I'm getting married to a lovely woman who has a three year old girl, so the answer to the question "what would Bob Arens do?" paired with "young child" is currently being formulated.

The current answer is, princesses all get swords, and five year olds get Lovecraft stories.
--------

Madness takes its toll.
Speedpass accepted.

tritium
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby tritium » Sun May 03, 2015 12:31 am

I think I have to amend my stance on modules...

If Bloodmoon Goblins is a module (and it very well can be considered a module), I do want more of those - something new to play with and an example of how to use it.
Chad, episode 88 wrote:I don't do women.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Sun May 03, 2015 7:16 pm

What I expect from a FLGS is that the staff notice I'm there, but give me space to look at the stuff. I like to chat, but I don't want to take up the staff's whole time, and may well have other things I need to do that day as well.
What I expect from a games producer is accessibility and internal self-consistency. And I want a self-contained product. I've got the GM's manual, the player's manual, the monster manual. Good. That should do it. Don't tell me I now need these other dozen supplements, because forget it; I can't wade through all that stuff.
Unless it's the subscription thing. A module-of-the-week subscription, that would be cool. (to write, as well as to subscribe to and use).

MrElzebub
Loves to Cuddle Afterward

Postby MrElzebub » Sun May 03, 2015 10:31 pm

Chad wrote:
tritium wrote:
What I want from a gaming store that I don't get is... Professionalism. I don't want to feel like I am walking into someones house, I want to feel like I am walking into a business, run by people who care about the business. That means it's clean, safe, the employees are polite and bathe regularly.

This.

YES! The greater Portland area has a good selection of gaming shops and all of them fail at actually being a customer based business. The most common attitude when I walk in is that I am somehow bothering the staff with my presence. Some stores the staff have been outright rude. Whether it is that I am not a regular or that the staff just don't like customers at all I am used to poor service from every store. The friendly in FLGS unfortunately seems somewhat mythical.
Free Whatever it is that Delicious Humanoids Like! Inquire Within.

terrus
The Baron's Body Double

Postby terrus » Mon May 04, 2015 1:50 pm

Expectations of a gamestore are as other's said about the same of other specialty shops. I want a little more than basic knowledge on the products and maybe an informed opinion. I want someone who will get what I need if they don't have it and supply the space for me to test out that product.
I want a clean business not a hangout that feels like a basement, this is why I don't go to the comic book store here, and I want customer service that is big on the serving part.

As for the subscription gaming Paizo does this with their stuff. It is okay but I stopped doing it as I just don't need/want that much stuff.
I love modules they help me out of ruts and keep things fresh for my players as it isn't always what will Terry think of this week.

Cantor
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby Cantor » Tue May 05, 2015 9:10 am

Dan wrote:Cantor - I really like the points you raised there. If/when we come back to modules, there's a very good chance I'm going to cite you.

Thanks!

Also, back on the topic of games stores and professionalism, I totally agree.

I was in a store on the weekend that had a stack of graphic novels and some model painting supplies on a shelf that I'm not even sure was for sale. It looked like someone's personal stuff. Just sitting there next to boxes of space marines. There wasn't anyone behind the counter, and I browsed for a good ten minutes before someone twenty feet away bothered to say hi. Sometimes game stores become too casual and start behaving more like game clubs, which is a whole other thing.
Chaotic Neutral means never having to say you're sorry.

Concise Locket
I am the story stick

Postby Concise Locket » Mon May 11, 2015 9:59 am

Game Stores

My service expectation from a game store is what I would expect from any boutique shop - attentiveness when I need it (checking out, searching for a product) and recommendations. Anything else is just icing.

Modules

As a player, I'm all for them as they provide a buffer between me and GMs who aren't as creative as they think they are. While a professionally written module game may make for an average experience, I'm assured that, at a minimum, I will have fun rather than be confused or bored.

As a GM, I'm all for modules in certain situations; specifically Pathfinder/D&D. The prep effort-to-satisfaction reward is so skewed with that game - ensuring that all encounters have the appropriate CR rating, ensuring that there's enough variety of dungeons and monsters, blah blah blah - that writing my own adventure and hitting the Bestiaries to flush it out isn't worth the time.

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Mon May 11, 2015 11:31 am

I should be releasing 367 tonight. It's something like a part 2 to 366. Brodeur gives us some added insight on what he thinks of the game store situation, and then we talk about modules.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

DJZachLorton
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby DJZachLorton » Wed May 13, 2015 5:05 pm

I don't know why anybody would ever open a business if taking care of their patrons/customers wasn't high on their priority list.

I've had the honor/distinction/curse of working in service related fields for the majority of my working life, from telephone customer service to fast food, from working as a courier to a DJ in the wedding industry, and if you don't know how to serve your customers and potential customers, you're going to sink.

Here's why anyone in STL or visiting STL around Fear The Con should visit The Fantasy Shop: THEY TREAT YOU WELL. Holy crap, this could not be more true. I met Brodeur briefly last year at FtC7, and when I was searching for businesses to donate for a Trivia Night event I was organizing for my church, I thought of him. When I called him and told him what it was about, he remembered meeting me and said he was always eager to "help out a fellow Booter." He said he'd put a package together and I could pick it up from one of their stores.

When I arrived at the Florissant store to get the donation, I was shocked when the staff pulled out a HUGE cardboard box filled with, like, 10 games (I was expecting 2 or 3). I asked the staff member if he could give me an approximate value, and he said they retailed for over $250 combined. Titles like Damage Report, Bendomino, Dao, Rampage, Nexus Ops. I was floored. But beyond that, the guys in the shop were extremely nice and helpful, and seemed eager to not only see if there was anything I needed, but also wanted to know if I was into gaming myself and invited me to stick around for as long as I wanted, try out a demo game, etc. Seriously, they treated me as if it was their goal for that time to make sure I left satisfied. They are the epitome of what I think a Friendly Local Game Store should be.

Because of that, I bought a copy of Fiasco while I was there, and paid about 5 dollars more for it than I would have paid if I bought it directly from the publisher. And I was happy to do it.
DJZachLorton
#1 Ranked Mobile DJ/MC
in St. Louis and surrounding areas
http://www.facebook.com/zach.lorton
http://livingonthebackburner.blogspot.com

Return to “Fear the Boot”