Episode 366 - Expectations

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.

Would YOU subscribe to an RPG?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:25 am

Never! The very idea offends me!
3%
Sure, I guess. Seems like a decent enough idea.
24%
No, I've got no problem with the idea, but it's not for me.
52%
Yes! I love the idea! I want all my RPGs this way!
3%
Jigsaw
3%
Chad is wrong.
15%

Total votes: 33

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:59 am

Go!
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:25 am

Release Date: April 28, 2015

Dan '15 wrote:First up, thank you guys for a successful Fear the Con Kickstarter!
You're welcome.

If skirts are too close to pants to be allowed without paying the prohibitive cost ... what about a banana hammock? Are Banana Hammocks permitted?

So, Chad tried to buy Poo. I prefer the reskinned version: Nuts! Instead of flinging poo at your child, you could instead spend the whole game grabbing his nuts while he grabs yours. Much better.

Regarding the failed attempt itself: Up until the very, very end I likely would have done exactly the same. Wait patiently for a bit, make minor attempts to indicate I have a purchase if he deigned to look my way, etc. Once the patience runs out though? Would have dropped the deck right on the counter (hopefully noisily) and left. It's a very small difference, but it stands a chance of making a point if it gets noticed, without extra effort on my part.

Chad '15 wrote:I guess the question here too is: What do you expect from a gaming store or comic bo-a nerd shop that you don't expect from any other kind of store?
Julia '15 wrote:Feeling like you're walking into somebody's house, that's what peo- they want it to feel like they're walking into their best friend's basement to buy stuff.
Dan '15 wrote:The biggest thing I want is simply a feeling of acceptance or not being judged.
.... Weeeeiiiird. What I expect from a geek store: Products relating to the store's theme, and the ability to purchase them. Which was lacking in the experience Chad discussed.

Dan '15 wrote:Frankly, if it was just an automat where I could slip in my money, open the right door (google automat if you don't know what one is) and, uh, take out my gaming book and a grilled cheese sandwich, I'd be okay with that.
Oh man, that sounds awesome. One stop shop for gaming and food, without having to deal with overly chatty cashiers, other customers, or two day shipping? So much win.

Dan '15 wrote:Do you think that our community has expectations of the employees of a gaming store that go above and beyond what we would expect for most stores?
Yes. Yes, you people have absurd, unrealistic expectations of gaming store employees. They're just people trying to make a buck, man. It's a shitty retail job, that probably has shitty pay. You should expect them to ring you up and have a decent idea of where to find things, and that's about it. Anything beyond that is pure bonus.

Dan '15 wrote:I can't think of anyone that's doing this, maybe there's somebody out there and I'm just nothing thinking of it. Somebody that sells a game on a subscription basis. Where it's like, five bucks a months or something. Five bucks, you get access to a wiki that has everything. You have a username, password, account, blah blah blah, recurring billing on paypal, I don't know what the setup is here exactly.
It was actually closer to ten bucks, but WotC did that for 4e. With DDI you had a searchable database (not a wiki exactly, but it serves the same purpose in this example) with all the rules, monsters, what-have-you. You had a character builder with everything they had put out (which was a stupid amount of stuff), with the ability enable/disable content from certain books/settings, and get nice, neat, well-laid-out and easily-read character sheets (that were a ridiculous number of pages long within a few levels), a monster builder, encounter builder, and bunches of other tools I ignored because I'm just a player and stopped at Character builder and Rules compendium. It was great while I played 4e. I had access to thousands of dollars worth of books for ten bucks a month, and all told I probably spent a hundred bucks, maybe one-twenty on 4e.

So there you go. I think I can get people to admit that WotC did something right with 4e now.

Dan '15 wrote:Should a role playing company- do you expect them to listen to their fans?
Listen? Absolutely. Obey? .....eeehh.... not necessarily. Sometimes people, even large groups of people, don't know what they actually want. They think that they want X, when really they want Y, and think X will provide it. But instead when given X they end up with Gertrude. And nobody wants Gertrude.

.... And then Dan pretty much makes that point. This is the risk I take working on the post throughout the episode.

Honestly, Star Wars Eps 2 and 3 weren't that bad. Especially, as Pat said, the Obi-Wan parts. One thing I love and hate about The Clone Wars series was that it improved my opinion of every single element of Star Wars that was introduced in the prequels ... while simultaneously lowering my opinion of the prequels themselves. Because (most of) these elements could obviously be done well, so why the hell didn't they?

• Stats
    • ~Dan
      • Appearances: TBD
    • ~Chad
    • ~Pat
    • ~Julia
Last edited by Azhrei Vep on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Re: Episode 366 - Expectations

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:25 am

clintmemo wrote:Go!

Already did!
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:08 am

Azhrei Vep wrote:

Already did!

Mine was First!

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:08 am

Other observations...

While editing the show, I realized that What Would Bob Arens Do? works out to WWBAD. I see design in that.

Also, bofa.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:14 am

clintmemo wrote:
Azhrei Vep wrote:

Already did!

Mine was First!

Mine is best.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:19 am

I'll settle this by merging the threads, creating both finality and a confusing conversation.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:22 am

Dan wrote:I'll settle this by merging the threads, creating both finality and a confusing conversation.

Win!

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:31 am

clintmemo wrote:
Dan wrote:I'll settle this by merging the threads, creating both finality and a confusing conversation.

Win!

I'm okay with this. Although, in the before-times, mine was best.

Before Dan improved everything.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:01 am

On the game store employee topic:
I would expect an employee to have at least some rudimentary knowledge of games.
And I don't meant that they need to have it to be qualified as much as I think that a game store employee is probably the kind of person that would want to know at least something about games. If nothing else, they are bound to learn stuff over time.

A game store is a specialty shop, just like a running shop, a bike shop, a perfume shop...
I would expect the people that work in a specialty shop to have some knowledge of what they are selling.

As far as Chad's story goes....
I would probably just set my stuff down and walk out. I have done that exact thing numerous times. If possible, I never go to that store again.
I say probably because, in recent years, I've become less averse to potential conflict and I might just politely speak up and ask if he can take care of me real quick.

Return to “Fear the Boot”