Episode 518

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Episode 518

Postby N00b13 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:50 am

Funny thing the night before listening to this episode I revistited the story of Pygmalion and Galatea.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Episode 518

Postby Ikoma » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:45 am

OK, I've been mulling bringing a situation in my current game to the FtB family for discussion. This episode ties in perfectly. So here goes... some background for context. One of my best friends is running a D&D 5e campaign. It is a sequel to my Storm King's Thunder campaign. He is adapting the Tyranny of Dragons pair of adventures. He is also drawing a LOT of inspiration from Mass Effect, particularly Mass Effect 3. I was the only new PC in the party (since I was the GM last campaign) so I created a new character to fit into the campaign; Wally Tosscobble - Sorcerer (divine soul) / Warlock (celestial pact). Basically, having some fun with the 'chosen one' tropes. Wally was born under a divine sign. He's been tapped by the gods to save the Savage North. Campaign is great.

So, last session, we had a surprise. GM has just gotten engaged. His (now) fiance joined the party with a character very clearly inspired by Javik the Prothean from Mass Effect 3. To be fair, it was a pretty cool reveal. The new PC helped prevent a bad situation from going completely pear-shaped. The new PC is a Yuan-ti, left in hibernation for 10,000 years (or more) since the last great giant / dragon war. She has some antiquated notions about the balance of power among the races. She's racist to the core (yuan-ti are the superior race) and the rest of the sentient races are fit only to be slaves. And she's not shy about sharing that opinion with the party. She referred to every party member she came into contact with as 'slave' (to some comic effect since she was pretty powerless while shaking off the effects of a ten millennium slumber. The rest of the party just kinda laughed at the dichotomy and rolled with it. As I picture Wally in my head, he's not cool with it. At all. He's the chosen one, not some slave. So once the new PC and Wally ran into each other, I figured Wally would be the one that put end to the practice. She called him slave. He corrected her, saying his name was Wally, and you're welcome for being saved. She came back that slaves do not have names. Wally got a little more steel in his voice and said, well, he has a name, he doesn't wear any chains, and he is not anyone's slave. She got a little high and mighty about it.

At this point, the GM jumps in and offers, "She's just playing the character the way she sees the world." Turns out the GM created the character for the new player to run. I replied back, "And I'm just playing Wally how he would react." Which was a big red flag for me that maybe I was crossing the line. After all, I am firmly with the hosts that "This is just how my character would act" is bad excuse for bad behavior in a game. So I backed off. We were almost at the end of the session anyway.

Now I am trying to tease out what I should do and how I should respond. My current plan is to see how the next session goes. If the new PC continues the behavior, I'm going to have to have a talk with my GM. Because as I'm currently envisioning Wally, he wouldn't take this long before he set a trap, knocked the yuan-ti out, put her in chains and gave her a choice about where she gets dropped off. Which isn't best party unity practices.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Lord Foul
Ducking Post Whore

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:15 pm

Presumably your GM doesn't actually want the party to break out into open conflict and destroy itself from within. Assuming that to be the case, he must expect the party to somehow resolve this issue and find a way to work together amicably.

Now, that's only going to be possible if the yuan-ti is persuaded to change her attitude. The only option that precludes that is the one where everyone else accepts her as their mistress and if he expects that he should be advised against it as delicately as you can manage.

So, assuming that everyone is working towards a peaceful resolution, it sounds like your character is ideally placed to be the catalyst that forces the issue out into the open for discussion. Perhaps a brief history lesson might be in order, pointing out how things have changed in the past 10,000 years. Races who were formerly slaves have now grown and developed and deserve respect. Pause.

Allow her to play her character through the internal conflict this must surely bring. She'll know she cannot best you all through sheer power alone, and will inevitably have to accept the evidence before her... eventually. Though maybe not gracefully. And all that could make for some great RP, so long as nobody starts getting all butt-hurt about it.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:23 pm

See it sounds like that was a great RP moment and should have been allowed to play out. Maybe a little out of character to make sure real feelings aren't involved. I think an out of character conversation with the GM should be had to make sure he understands your motivations and intentions.

As described it sounds like the GM made the character and handed it to her and has too much affection for both.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:14 pm

Reporting back. Things are fine. I was preemptively and unnecessarily worried for several reasons.

A. GM's new fiances is not joining the party on a regular basis. She was just helping GM out to introduce a new NPC that session. It's much less of an issue without a person sitting at the table bringing it up.

B. The new NPC has already started changing it's tune. Our first stop post picking them up was Waterdeep. And that city kinda blew their minds. Not that a city that big could be made. But that a city that big could be made without her people and only by the 'sub'-races. Put a lot of meat behind Wally's arguments that the world has changed and she is the lone representative a long lost empire.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Fear the Boot”