GenCon 2018

Gaming, comic, geek, or any other convention! Discuss activities, plan events, or find someone to room with. Plug your cons here.
Necronomitron
TOFtBCH

GenCon 2018

Postby Necronomitron » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:25 pm

Who's going? I plan on being down Friday after I get out of work and staying until Sunday. I've noticed a serious trend of diminishing returns in GenCon enjoyment without being involved in some kind of community while there. The years that the Booters were active were some of the best. I also worked with Games on Demand one year, which was also a great time.

I hope to do more than just "attend" this year. But I'm very much looking forward.
Because it is (a bad thing).

JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: GenCon 2018

Postby JediSoth » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:53 am

I'll be there, but I'll be at my table on Author's Avenue almost the entire weekend. I'll be working at the ENnies Friday night, but other than that, it's the Dealer Hall from open to close, then food & sleep (and hopefully some networking).
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:20 am

Dealers Hall for me, too. But I'll be there every day. It'll be a little tough for me to do after hours stuff this year, since for the first time, we don't have a hotel room in walking distance.

Necronomitron
TOFtBCH

Postby Necronomitron » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:03 am

keithcurtis wrote:...we don't have a hotel room in walking distance.

For the last couple of years we've been staying in my cousin's in-laws basement. Appreciative of the free room and board, absolutely. But having to drive in every day and drive out again at night (as a passenger no less) definitely alters the con experience.

Greybird
'something' per Dan's request

Postby Greybird » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:33 am

Looks like I will be there for the whole shebang. It'll be my second year.

This time, I'm scheduling a lot fewer activities. Last year I had so many that I ended up not being able to things that popped up. There were games I wanted to demo, friends that I'd found out came who wanted to go eat, and I always had somewhere to be in 30 minutes. This time I'm setting up a couple of activities per day, and some of those are free '500 ticket' events that I can bow out of if something else crops up (I won't bow out of games.)

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:52 pm

I'm usually in the booth all day. After hours, I might look for friends for a pickup game of some time. It's nice if it happens, but if not, it's an excuse to actually get a decent amount of sleep.

In the past, there was a Booter call circle. If someone wanted to resurrect that, that would be cool.

Necronomitron
TOFtBCH

Postby Necronomitron » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:33 pm

keithcurtis wrote:I'm usually in the booth all day. After hours, I might look for friends for a pickup game of some time. It's nice if it happens, but if not, it's an excuse to actually get a decent amount of sleep.

In the past, there was a Booter call circle. If someone wanted to resurrect that, that would be cool.

I still have a lot of those TOFtBCH contacts in my phone. I'm sure many of them are out of date, but there are so many of them, and I don't have the inclination to spend that time on them.

If it's not done by then, the next time I know I'll be there for the entire convention, I'll gladly take that back up. In the 10 GenCons that I've attended, the year that the TOFtBCH network was active was one of my favorites.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:30 pm

Discord might be a better place to have the network.

Necronomitron
TOFtBCH

Postby Necronomitron » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Chad wrote:Discord might be a better place to have the network.

I only know in passing the gist of Discord. But I'm certain technology is far more helpful in the area of mobile group communication than it was in the TOFtBCH heyday.

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:43 pm

My first year there, thanks to Mikey.

I'll be at the following and will be up for other stuff:

Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Return to “Other Conventions”