Interview 31 – Mike Brodeur, part 1
by Dan Repperger
* (0:25) Mike unlocked the “Local Guest” achievement.
* (1:25) Derek Knutsen’s Kickstarter for the Universal Storytelling System.
* (3:19) Odyssey: The Complete Game Master’s Guide to Campaign Management, written by Phil Vecchione and Walt Ciechanowski and based on advice from impeccable sources.
* (4:59) Introducing Mike Brodeur from The Fantasy Shop chain of game and comic stores.
* (11:29) Finding the “friendly” in “friendly local game store”. Why it’s missing far too often and how The Fantasy Shop addressed the issue. Chad and Mike have a bromance. Dan drops history about the defeat of the Spartans, though he confuses the Thracians with the Thebans.
* (21:31) Winning over the person that would rather shop on Amazon…or not winning them over at all.
* (30:45) Selling a product you don’t know.
* (34:50) “This is not a library!” Distinguishing between browsers and freeloaders.
* (39:44) The relationship between bricks-and-mortar stores and digital products, such as PDFs. Bits and Mortar.
* (45:11) The finite resource of space. How decisions are made about what to stock and where. Why We Buy by Paco Underhill. Carrying a diversity of products and selling them to a diverse audience.
Hosts: Chad, Dan, Julia
Guests: Mike Brodeur