Episode 271 – improv GMing
by Dan Repperger
* (0:50) Tips and techniques for running a fully improvised game. We start by setting the boundaries for the discussion.
* (5:16) Why improv at all?
* (6:50) Asking the right questions to get things started. In the broadest sense, what sort of game experience do the players want to have? Setting boundaries and building initial, internal consistency.
* (13:15) Using character-based questions to narrow everything down and draw out ideas for the game.
* (20:58) How far ahead of the players you need to be. Sources of inspiration for setting the scene. The power of, “Yes, but…”
* (31:03) Employing all of these ideas in a practice exercise.
* (39:54) John’s approach to running improv games. How introducing a formalized rules system impacts the process.
Hosts: Chad, Dan, John, Julia, Pat, Wayne