Interview Episode 19 – Joe Wetzel and Keith Curtis
by Dan Repperger
You can find a transcript of this show here!
* (0:35) Wayne tries to hijack the show to talk about Superman. You know what that means: we talk about Batman instead! The blog post on the hosting arrangement can be found here.
* (3:07) Alex (aka Lizard Farmer) is creating transcripts of the show. Check the show notes a few days after each episode releases for a link to the transcript. An explanation of his idea can be found on our forums.
* (5:39) Our next March of Dimes charity auction has kicked off! Prizes for this auction are being provided by the Gnome Stew website. As with the previous auctions, 100% of the funds raised will go to the March of Dimes.
* (12:02) The importance of maps for creating scale, consistency, fairness, and depth.
* (26:34) How to build and fill in a map when you’re starting with nothing. The title Joe mentions is Dawn of Worlds.
* (35:10) Filling in the details when you have a map with major locations already set but nothing in mind to occupy the gaps between.
* (40:06) A quick survey of climatology and how different climate zones form on a planet. The factors that figure into such estimations and just how important they ought to be when designing your game world.
* (52:48) Understanding scale when designing an area, particularly when you’re contemplating volume as opposed to surface area.
* (57:20) The projects Joe and Keith are working on right now. Joe’s work — including things not already linked in the show notes — can generally be found on Inkwell Ideas.
* (1:03:27) The video game giveaway is still on, so be sure to get entered if you haven’t already!
Hosts: Chad, Chris, Dan, Karla, Wayne
Guests: Joe Wetzel, Keith Curtis