Re: Dogs in the Vineyard - first run.
Would you be willing to post your Town write up? What stage did the town get to before the Dogs got there?
Here's the town itself as written in preparation. It's my first and frankly, it worked really well...but I think that's more due to the good role play of our PC's.
Town: Blackbrush Junction
Pride? BROTHER REUBEN (a farmer and the town steward) is working with a Territorial Authority man named GEORGE TUCKER to establish a silver mine to benefit the town on a lode found on his(the stewards) farm. SISTER ANNE (Reuben's wife) is proud of her husband's role in the coming towns perceived prosperity. In fact, she can't shut up about it. Their sons work the farm and one, NATHAN, is looking for a wife.
GEORGE TUCKER is a self-made industrialist, wealthy and a bit of a dandy. His daughter RACHEL is unattached, spoiled, bored and very pretty. (1840's smokin'! Look at that ankle!)
Injustice? SISTER DEBORAH and BROTHER CALEB, a farming family who gave up farming to become shopkeeps (kind of lazy, would rather have cleaner work.) The farm they gave up? Gave/sold/bartered it to BROTHER REUBEN for ownership of the dry goods store. "Shoulda' been ours." Bitter bitter bitter. Caleb's son JOSEPH is spent a lot of time mooning around RACHEL TUCKER. She "educated" him and dropped him...bored. He's missing now. Rachel has a lot of mooning "suitors" around her, vying for attention. JOSEPH AND NATHAN are the primaries around her.
Sin? Disunity - CALEB AND DEBORAH is undermining REUBEN, muttering that REUBEN's bringing in of the TA men will dilute the faithful, be a bad influence on the children and generally wreck the town.
Demonic Attacks? The demons are using TUCKER to inflame the town. He makes the husbands look plain and boring, causing strife which feeds into the growing disapproval of the town, while Rachel is essentially a 1840's Paris Hilton...predatory. Why? She's driven by demons.
False Doctrine: CALEB is starting to believe that The King of Life "chose him" to lead the town to prosperity...why else was the lode on his farm? His family believes him.
Hatred: CALEB's hatred of BROTHER REUBEN for "stealing" his "chosen right" is eating away at him.
Murder: Where is JOSEPH? Dead and in the silver mine, pushed down a shaft by NATHAN in an argument over Rachel. It wasn't an accident...or was it?
What do people want?
* BROTHER REUBEN wants the dogs to publicly state that the silver mine will be a good thing for the town.
* SISTER ANNE also wants to dogs to back her husband.
* BROTHER NATHAN wants to dogs to leave the murder/accidental death of JOSEPH undiscovered.
* BROTHER NATHAN also wants the dogs to convince his father to let him marry RACHEL.
* GEORGE TUCKER wants the dogs to kiss some babies and go away.
* BROTHER CALEB AND SISTER DEBORAH want the dogs to denounce BROTHER REUBEN and drive GEORGE TUCKER out.
The demons want:
* The silver mine to dilute the faith in the town. They know silver will bring a large flood of TA folk and nonbelievers.
* RACHEL's DEMON wouldn't say no to tempting a dog into bed, if for no other reason that to discredit one. Possibly murder one.
If the dogs never came:
* The town would become a bastion of sin at the hands of a silver rush.
* JOSEPHS death will be labeled an "accident".
* SISTER DEBORAH AND BROTHER CALEB will become faithless.