Quantcast

Fear the Boot

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:14 pm

Login 
Username:   Password:   Log me on automatically each visit  

Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 25  Next
 Who's your current character(s)? 
Pat's Knob Polisher

Post Re: Who's your current character(s)?
Ha that's an awesome set up Zenko. Gold coast is SUCH a werewolf base haha. Something about the plethora of "packs" that exist there already, the biker gangs, ethnic criminal groups and families (my father is a criminal lawyer on the GC and he keeps me entertained for hours describing the melting pot that is all the criminal groups bumping elbows), territorial surfer gangs that actually behave like werewolves already etc. it's just ripe for an exaggeration of pack mentality.

I worked as a bouncer in Brisbane for 6 years and anyone who's ever been to the valley in Brisbane just KNOWS that it's controlled my vampires. The thing with arcane foci is that there are sooo many ridiculous art pieces that serve no real function or are strangely placed.

You guys have inspired me, the next nWOD game I will try my hardest to convince my group to let me set it in Brisbane.

Cheers for sharing guys!

Mon May 31, 2010 7:18 pm
Red Boba Fet's Typo Checker

Name: Jin Bei Fong
Ethnicity: Earth Kingdom
Primary Tropes: Replacement Goldfish, Lady of War (larval stage), Technical Pacifist, and Little Miss Badass

Jin Bei Fong has had it good. Massively rich, loving parents. Occasionally bossy but generally cool older sister, cute little brother, and the single most Bad Ass earthbender alive, ruler of Omashu, as her Great-Grandmother. To top it off, she's the first person in the family since her great-grandmother to show any ability to earthbend at all, a fact that immediately netted her a lot of attention.

And training. It started early, and picked up fast. Her great-grandmother chose to supervise her training personally, and she's a harsh taskmistress. Between training and natural aptitude, Jin was displaying skill and power that put many adult practitioners to shame, and attending stuffed animal tea parties afterward. She was well on her way to being the finest Earthbender of her time (assuming her positively ancient great-grandmother kicked it eventually). Then she picked up a hobby: Swords. Her great-grandmother's consort at the time was a swordsman of some skill, trained under a truly great swordsman who played a key role in ending the Great War alongside Avatar Aang.

What started as a hobby grew into something more, to the point that she would attempt to skip her earthbending lessons to practice the blade with any palace guards she should convince to spar with her. At one point, on her eleventh birthday, her great-grandmother taught her a great secret skill she had invented, hoping to revitalize her interest with something new and interesting, and that she could relate back to swords: The ability to bend metal.

This ... backfired. Once she got a grasp on metalbending, Jin decided she wanted no more to do with the 'inelegant' and 'brutish' art of earthbending, and actively resisted attempts to further her training, while pushing harder than ever with her sword skills. It was during one of these attempted training sessions that she first saw the new Avatar, Kyandra of the northern water tribe, and Long'Mao of the holyshitlookatthemusclesonthatguyhe'sohotsqueee!.

She formed a friendship with the two during their stay for the young Avatar's training, and when Kyandra and Long'Mao departed, she followed. Essentially. There's a ridiculous chain of convoluted events in there, but she basically ran away to help the Avatar, help the helpless, and hone her skills with practical experience.

Jin fits into a weird place in the Avatar Group. Long'Mao and their evil sociopathic waterbender will kill someone without a moment's hesitation, if it seems like the thing to do (and for the waterbender, it usually does), Kyandra and their firebender are firmly in the "Do whatever it takes to survive and accomplish your goal." Camp, while Jin is all alone waving a little "Killing is wrong, period." flag from the end of her sword. She disarms, she disables, she knocks out, but she doesn't kill and she doesn't bend.

Her refusal to bend is one of many sources of tension with the crazy murderous waterbender of the group, a boy named Ozurai. The two genuinely, deeply, and thoroughly hate each other, and if Jin was even slightly less solid on her 'no killing' stance, she'd have slit his throat in his sleep a while back. He harps on her about her bending, taunts her for her refusal to kill, and goes out of his way to kill people she's attempting to disarm and disable when things get rough. It's only a matter of time before one of them pushes the other a little too far, and things get really, really messy.

On the opposite end of that spectrum is Long'Mao. Her original reaction to him notwithstanding, the two have settled into a sibling-esque relationship. She maintains a very minor crush on him, and he does his best not to exacerbate it, while going farther out of his way to protect her than anyone else, as he's settled on her as a replacement for his dead little sister.

Long Story Short: Jin had it good and threw it all away for adventure. She's a technical pacifist in a group of skilled killers, and she makes it work. And she deliberately antagonizes a murderous sociopath.

Jin and Long'Mao are particularly interesting to me. They were both made out of a few random tropes with characters build around them, in this case Replacement Goldfish, Technical Pacifist, and Little Miss Badass. She's also one of the only unabashedly good characters I have, with hardly any gray in her, while most of my characters are dark gray to black with tiny slivers of white morality. I'm fairly pleased with her, although the really good stuff, when her morals are really put to the test, is yet to come. And I can't wait.

Take one life to save several? Or risk several by refusing to kill one? The choice is coming, and I can't wait.

... Actually, I can. I'm pretty patient with that kind of stuff.

Edit: Why no, I don't grasp the concept of 'brevity,' why do you ask?

I don't do Women. - FtB, Ep88, 36:47
Chad wrote:
Oh my god, I love the Boys! FtB, Ep144, 35:05

PS Fuck you Cafepress

Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Monostat Fanfic Writer

We are starting two alternating HarnMaster Campaigns at our FLGS.

Sir Elthred of Clan Wardotte
Knight of Kanday. Lord of Hemhur.
His father has decided to retire and give the reigns of the manor to his son. A tournament has been scheduled to celebrate the event.

Kitherion 'Kith'/Kalerion 'Kal'
Sindarin (Sidhe), Savorian Mage/Forest Warrior
Kith was an Orphan and has no memory of his birth parents. A traveling adventurer, because he has the willingness and impatience to wander the world at large. He carries a lute that he cannot play, and doesn't know why.

Kal is Kith's alter ego and comes out under stressful situations. As Kith is quiet and humble, Kal is outspoken and arrogant. Plays the lute and sings to his heart's content. Good with the blade & bow.

"I can eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and defecate a better argument."
-Unknown

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
The Keeper of Gaming Stories

xsgtdanusmc wrote:
We are starting two alternating HarnMaster Campaigns at our FLGS.

Sir Elthred of Clan Wardotte
Knight of Kanday. Lord of Hemhur.
His father has decided to retire and give the reigns of the manor to his son. A tournament has been scheduled to celebrate the event.

Let's not forget his loyal Mage Blacksmith. I'll get his stuff posted up soon (Mostly when I contemplate it more.)

xsgtdanusmc wrote:
Kith was an Orphan and has no memory of his birth parents. A traveling adventurer, because he has the willingness and impatience to wander the world at large. He carries a lute that he cannot play, and doesn't know why.

Kal is Kith's alter ego and comes out under stressful situations. As Kith is quiet and humble, Kal is outspoken and arrogant. Plays the lute and sings to his heart's content. Good with the blade & bow.

Oh you forgot the best part about him!!

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:44 am
Profile YIM WWW
Red Boba Fet's Typo Checker

Name: Ozurai
Ethnicity: Fire Nation
Primary Tropes: (deep breath) Razor Floss(Half of his waterbending style), Evil is Deathly Cold (If it's not Razor Floss, it's ice), Token Evil Teammate, Evil versus Evil, Straight Edge Evil (he's an asexual teetotaler)
Origin Tropes: Expy Villainous Incest, The Unfavorite, Abusive Parents Family
Future Tropes: Moral Event Horizon (Not far in the future..), Your Terrorists are our Freedom Fighters, Face Heel Turn, Knight Templar, Deliberate Values Dissonance

Ozurai began a touch differently from the others. While the others were attempts to break out of character recycling, there is one character that always gets recycled, into everything, in some form or fashion, no matter what. He's like a mascot, except people are supposed to like mascots. Ozurai is a new Azhrei. And his life sucks, because that's part of the rules of making an Azhrei.

Hidden away on a small island in the Fire Nation is a group of dissidents who decry the previous Fire Lord as a treacherous Usurper, and by extension, reject the rule of the current one. They believe that, as the true heir to the throne, as the only loyal son of Phoenix King Ozai, their leader should be Fire Lord.

Wait, didn't he only have one son? Well... before being thrown in prison, yes. Word to the wise: If you're not terribly charismatic, and planning on telling your people "No, no ... you're not actually better than everyone else. You're just equals. The last hundred years? Stupid mistake." Make sure the charismatic leader you're replacing is DEAD, not depowered and dumped in a prison. Because there will be people who remain loyal to them. And they just might end proving their 'loyalty' sufficiently to guard the prison where he and your psychotic sister are being held. And a plan may be hatched to provide a new heir to overthrown you in time, one with truly pure blood...

Ozurai is the son of this 'pure blooded' heir to the Phoenix King's Legacy. And his Grandson. He was born scant days after the passing of the previous Avatar, and when he begin to show skills as a waterbender, they believed they had been given the next Avatar as a sign of their rightousness. As it turns out, it's just an odd defect from inbreeding. Once it became clear that he couldn't wield fire, earth, or air, and was extremely limited in how much water he could manipulate, their disgust and hatred descended on him like something really heavy that descends on people in bad situations.

He was put to use helping train young firebenders ... as a moving target. He was thrown in chains before his siblings as a 'sparring partner' on a regular basis, and locked away out of sight when he wasn't needed. Locked inside, underground, with minimal training in waterbending, he worked out how to manipulate water further on his own, developing a style better suited to his limitations than the normal styles. It focused on manipulating water into thin, wirelike strands, manipulating several of these strands at once, and freezing water to himself for protection, as weapons (claws), or just to have some handy, and throwing out numerous shards that could be manipulated mid-flight. What he lacks in strength, he tries to make up for in finesse.

Years of abuse and hate from his family molded him into a person much like them. Hateful, deceitful, cruel. And cowardly. Fear governs most of his actions. When he finally managed to escape, and stumbled into the Avatar, he latched onto her immediately as someone that could keep him alive. And, with the right nudging kill his family for him. Partially out of hate, but mostly out of fear. As long as they lived, he was in danger. He's the first to cut and run if things start to look remotely like a fair fight, and the last to agree to anything even slightly risky, generally out of fear of being abandoned if he doesn't.

Ozurai and Jin hate each other. Deeply and thoroughly. He's a fanatical proponent of solving problem through murder, and lots of it. She believes killing is wrong, no matter the circumstance. They have similar problems regarding torture. Deceit, and eating anything cute. Her refusal to use earthbending, and determination to use a sword non-fatally piss him off to no end. Willingly denying oneself of an advantage is absolutely foreign to him. To make matters worse for Jin, and amusing for him, when he's cleaned up and puts his hair up, due to him being a runt and Jin being fairly tomboyish in her travelling clothes, they almost look like brothers.

Jin and Ozurai, out of the numerous characters I've put together for the Avatar Roleplay, are the only ones who have defined 'sides' in a large-scale conflict planned for the future. When a Big Bad rises, Ozurai will be on his side, Jin will stand against him. Where everybody else will be is completely up in the air.

I don't do Women. - FtB, Ep88, 36:47
Chad wrote:
Oh my god, I love the Boys! FtB, Ep144, 35:05

PS Fuck you Cafepress

Last edited by Azhrei Vep on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Churcher wrote:
xsgtdanusmc wrote:

Oh you forgot the best part about him!!

What are you talking about? :think:

"I can eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and defecate a better argument."
-Unknown

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
The TOFtBCH Trigger

In Burning Wheel, I am going to be playing a xenophile sentient spider who spins magic web spells to charm the females of other species. This is officially the best character concept, ever. /thread.

Chronicles of Spire: Rebellion - Now on Smashwords and CreateSpace!

Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:44 am
Profile WWW
Aarakocra

Name: Luciano

System: DnD 3.5

Twitteresque Description: Pirate Bard who learned the tricks of his trade from his parents. Going to steal the mystical sword called The McGuffin in the climatic second sitting of our two part campaign

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:03 pm
Harbinger of the Coz

LIVE! I COMMAND THEE!

I get to be a player! *squeeeeeeee!* One of my players decided to try his hand at running a game.

System: D&D 3.5

Character inspiration: This guy

Name: Abraham Cahdabrah

Class: Wizard

Occupation: Student backpacking across the kingdom to earn a few gold before applying to a college.

Background: The adopted son of Cadburry and Sarah Craier and older brother to Magra Craier (3 years old), Stephen discovered his magical aptitude at the age of 7 when he accidentally turned a small flock of pigeons invisible (wreaking havock on his home town for about an hour). His father insisted on enrolling him in a proper academy instead of letting him become a sorcerer.He has recently graduated and decided to take some time off. He hired/purchased a lovely assistant (Liandra who started as an NPC but is now a PC), invented the Top Hatch (a top hat/ rabbit hutch for his dwarf rabbit familliar "Trix"), and worked up an act (an oddly sucessful act at that).

In the first play scession Abraham was doing his act at a small town INN and while performing a John Edwards esque mind reading trick caught the eye of Sir Richard of Raven-Thorn (a PC fighter who is the third son in a lesser noble family). We shared a meal together and agreed that since we were both eventually bound for the capitol to travel together.

Funniest moment:

GM: Two men in uniforms barge into the Inn one shouts "Where is the man who was performing magics?"

Me (in my room): Can I hear that?

GM: Sure.

Me: I tie off one end of my rope to the bed post and jump out the window!

GM: Damnit...

(MUch later, after finding out that the incident was a huge misunderstanding, at another Inn.)

Me: I tie one end of my rope to the bedpost. ( I wound up usiong it as part of the finale for my act.)

Last edited by SandPunk on Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:37 pm
Network Host

Thud.

The ogre who was raised by humans, loves animals, fears the undead, and whose best buddy is a halfling.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 25  Next